Name the Most Obscure Title You Can Think Of

Wait-- how was the Implosion great?

2 Likes

I actually ready Blitzkrieg, and it’s one of my favorite war comics. It may be from the perspective of the Nazis, but they’re never the heroes. It doesn’t delight in war, but condemns it in a way that American troops-focused comics can’t because we always have to be the “good guys.” It’s as anti-war a comic as you could find.

7 Likes

I remember one called Straw Men from All American comics in the late eighties. A pretty twisted thriller. And let us not forget Del Close and John Ostrander on that strange DC anthology Wasteland.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Yea. What he said.

1 Like

4 Likes

Loving Angel’s partner’s surname (“Simeon”) :grinning:

5 Likes

Looking through these I swear I can smell the long boxes filled with old books :laughing:

7 Likes

Had to go deep in the vault for this one

5 Likes

Some more obscure and forgotten DC comics from the late '90s and early '00s. There are so many of these, along with the ones in my previous posts, they’re almost like a sub-genre unto themselves. Most of these have never been collected in a trade paperback, and none of them have been digitized:

Forever Maelstrom (2003)

Fanboy (1999)

Trouble Magnet (2000)

Bad Girls (2003)

Lab Rats (2002)

Big Daddy Danger (2002)

Guns of the Dragon (1998)

Cinnamon: El Ciclo (2003)

Lazarus Five (2000)

Caper (2003)

(Note: this cover could easily be misconstrued as being incendiary, but apparently it was a series about the Jewish Mafia. Though I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if it was this cover alone that’s kept the series from getting a TPB or being digitized. It might’ve helped if there was some text on the cover explaining what the series was about. But the image by itself is pretty shocking, to say the least.)

Reign of the Zodiac (2003)

Enginehead (2004)

iCandy (2003)

Scratch (2004)

Breach (2005)

Rush City (2006)

Son of Vulcan (2005)

I love digging these up. It’s like finding buried treasure. Despite the snarky tone of my previous post, I have nothing but love for these little-known comics. The underdogs and the forgotten ones. The also-rans and the never-weres. The comics that didn’t quite make it. I haven’t read any of them, so I can’t speak to their quality, but their obscurity alone makes me wonder what they’re about, if they’re any good, and why nobody talks about them much anymore.

2 Likes

Jumping back in time: obscure titles of the late '90s. Anyone remember these?

Argus (1995)

Bob, the Galactic Bum (1995)

Loose Cannon (1995)

The Psyba-Rats (1995)

Shadowdragon Annual (1995)

Triumph (1995)

Firebrand (1996)

Scare Tactics (1996)

Gross Point (1997)

Xero (1997)

Hardcore Station (1998)

Legion: Science Police (1998)

A. Bizarro (1999)

2 Likes

Jumping back in time once again, obscure titles of the late '80s and early '90s. Has anyone here read these? Or am I off-base in thinking these are obscure, and everybody but me is very familiar with them?

Conqueror of the Barren Earth (1985)

Talos of the Wilderness Sea (1985)

Underworld (1987)

Haywire (1988)

Hero Hotline (1989)

The Butcher (1990)

Tempus Fugitive (1990)

Clash (1991)

The Psycho (1991)

Hammerlocke (1992)

My Name is Chaos (1992)

Shado: Song of the Dragon (1992)

Blackmask (1993)

Streets (1993)

Guardians of Metropolis (1994)

Metropolis S.C.U. (1994)

And one bonus one from 1970 (since I don’t have any other titles older than 1985 to make up a full post):

Hot Wheels (1970)

2 Likes

Hero Hotline…that was a fun book.

1 Like

Here’s a little book that DC published in 1944, for only 2 issues:

(There was eventually a third issue, but it was published by EC Comics.)

1 Like

1 Like

Is it just me or are some of those covers pretty awesome

2 Likes

I’d love to learn who Bob the galactic bum is

2 Likes

1 Like

Hammerlocke is awesome. That’s all I’m saying.

1 Like

I’m surprised nobody’s got a cover for Scarlett.