My White Whale!

I collected when I was younger.

When I was 20 my house caught fire and the water from the fire hoses destroyed my entire collection.

I spent most of my adult life thinking I’d never be able to get the comics I had collected back then so it would be pointless to ever start collecting again…

I’ve been collecting again for a while now.

These are the comics I lost when I was 20. These are my White Whale!!!

#goodtobejo

35 Likes

So sorry to here about the house fire. Thats fantastic though that you were able to get back some of what you lost, Super Congrats on that Ahab! Happy hunting with anything else you lost and are trying to get back:superman_hv_1:

7 Likes

That’s awesome! Glad you found them.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear about the fire.
Nice to here you got some of the collection back. Congrats on that.

6 Likes

Sorry about the circumstances. I’m still trying to retrieve my Joker #1 1975. 1st comic I ever bought at the Flea market I put on favorite comic book stores post. Oddly. Since I do 0 social media. The friend I sold it to in 9th grade friended my mom on Facebook. I asked if he still had it & could I buy it back. He said, all his comics are at his moms. He’d have to look to see if he still has it there. If so, he’s willing to sell it back to me!!!

7 Likes

hope you get it back man!

6 Likes

Appreciate it. Would be a dream come true. It was honestly: the most mint condition comic I’ve ever seen. It hurt your eyes to read it from how bright the colors were.

6 Likes

That is so sad. I’m sorry that happened. I loved Superman growing up too. I had this in a long box for years. Much less sad that a fire—my dad sold mine.

I didn’t replace it all, but many years later I did buy a copy of Adventures of Superman 500 platinum edition. I can relate to the losing you collection part, and I’m so glad you got it back.

6 Likes

There are a few more on my list of “Must Haves” before it, but that Platinum Edition will be mine one day!

7 Likes

@hashtag-goodtobejo That was a big one for me. I don’t really collect full runs anymore. I’ve only purchased a few graded books. That was one. I was after a high grade for 15 years (at least) before I got it. Hang in there!

6 Likes

So glad you got your childhood comics back. It must be a great feeling!

5 Likes

When you’re older and have disposable income…HELL YEAH!

5 Likes

That sucks…but at least you got them back! I don’t waste my time collecting comics with these people that own 1000s of comics (no offense, but I’d never catch up :rofl:).

4 Likes

That’s too bad about the fire and losing all those comics, but it’s awesome you were able to find replacements after all these years and rebuild your collection.

3 Likes

Good on ya, Buddy! I had a human fire take my comics about 15 years ago, lost all the stuff I had been collecting since 1983. I can totally relate to trying to find all your back issues (again!), so no one could possibly be happier for you than myself. So glad to hear it didn’t stop you from getting them back, and enjoy reading them again for the first time!!!

5 Likes

Sorry that happened to you hope u get all the comics back that you had lost

3 Likes

Congrats on that collection milestone!

3 Likes

Really sorry for what you’ve lost.

4 Likes

@hashtag-goodtobejo awesome story! I am glad you got back things that you lost. Although I didn’t lose things through a fire, I have gotten rid of things that I sorely wish I would have kept. My Super Powers collection being top on that list, and a few statues here and there.

3 Likes

Welcome to DC, man!

4 Likes