My Thoughts On Suicide Squad's Official R Rating

Has she seen Thor Ragnarok?

2 Likes

if you think your 15 year old kids haven’t seen nudity already your fooling yourself (sorry) the accesbility of the internet and as some already mentioned tv shows rising use of nudity/sex scenes means your kids proably have seen stuff

2 Likes

I mean, you’re right, not everything has to be R-Rated, but I think it’s a bit unfair to say that that’s all DC is focusing on. Thus far, only 1 other DCEU film, Birds of Prey, has been rated R (maybe 2 if you count ZSJL); and, from the looks of things, none of the other slated DCEU films appear to be leaning towards an r-rating either. The Batman takes place in a spin-off universe so it may get an r-rating, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Beyond that, all of the CW shows are family-friendly, all of the animated shows (except Harley Quinn) are family-friendly, and the majority of animated films are family-friendly as well. The only other “adult-only” content in recent years from DC I can think of beyond those listed above is: Joker, Titans, Doom Patrol, HBO’s Watchmen, and Swamp Thing.

I’m not saying everything has to be r-rated and mature and gory, but to pretend that DC is ignoring a younger audience or has a singular focus for its outside media is a pretty bad-faith take given their past and future release-slate. DC has actually been pretty accommodating for most audiences in my opinion and I think if they’re going to make a movie called The SUICIDE Squad, maybe aiming for an r-rating is pretty reasonable.

6 Likes

I don’t think you mean to reply to me.

Edit: to answer your question, I highly doubt it. My sister isn’t really a superhero fan.

2 Likes

I sincerely hope the Blue Beetle is good, Jaime’s solo book was underrated in its time.

Although I wouldn’t be opposed to one with Ted Kord either. Blue Beetle as a whole is an underrated mantle.

3 Likes

I did. I was just talking about how people praise the marvel movies and stuff. But that particular one had Hulk’s butt. Something only @biff_pow would have been keen to see.

2 Likes

maybe the male nudity will involve violence, thereby making it more acceptable for young American audiences! i would not put it past Amanda Waller to implant a bomb in Captain Boomerang’s weenie

3 Likes

I see, my sister only really liked the spider-man movies, that’s just about it.

2 Likes

Agreed! I’m happy we’ve had so much BB in media over the last ten years.Jaime has appeared in so many shows and animated movies, but as a long time Ted Kord fan, I’m glad Batman: The Brave and the Bold not only gave us an animated Ted, but we also got a Booster and Beetle team up episode.

4 Likes

Most of the MCU has bored me to death. And a lot of that comes down to little variety in the writing after the 1st Avengers, everyone is a comedian.

4 Likes

Agreed. What I really enjoyed about phase one was the variety. Each movie had a different feel. When they came together in the Avengers, it really was like seeing these different parts come together. After that…

I think what really did it was Guardians. Suddenly every movie after that had to have that Guardians feel, or at least ape it. So many moments are ruined because they had to go for the joke.

2 Likes

I’m fine with a Suicide Squad movie going for a hard R, but I do hope that the Flash movie offers a tonal counterbalance. Same thing with Aquaman 2 and Shazam 2.

3 Likes

I feel that. And I’m not totally against R-rated DC films (in fact I thought Joker and ZSJL were quite good, once I properly gave them a chance), I think in the past few years I feel like a lot of media plays like exploitation movies. It’s not really my thing- I have a fairly weak stomach for graphic violence in particular, and especially when it’s there for audience titillation.

I’m also thinking of Grant Morrison’s intro to one of Waid’s Flash books (I think it’s the “Born to Run” tpb) where he talks about how comics took their dark turn in the 80s, and Waid’s Flash became a counterbalance to that. There’s room for multiple tones, sure.

3 Likes

Oh, I see.

places the script for Last House of Mystery on the Left back in the drawer

3 Likes