My Adventures with Superman

This show looks pretty fun but I’m worried they’ll go very gory and not very Superman, basically TV-MA.

18 Likes

This is no where TV-MA ,

The animation looks like it is trying to be some kinda japanimation / manga . i lost interest in it 46 seconds into it.

Plus the title, My Adventures with Superman,

To me gives off a childish vibe, not a gritty title that says action or gore, the title sounds like a love struck teen girl came up with it.

might be a good starting point for children. I don’t see this grabbing older teens to adults

7 Likes

I kind of doubt it will be gory. The tone seems comedic. Even the title My Adventures with Superman sounds more like a light-hearted show.

8 Likes

I can’t wait!

8 Likes

It has anime vibes, and teens and adults are definitely into anime.

8 Likes

i was referring to this origin story of superman not really being geared to older teens and adults, i wasn’t speaking towards anime in general.

6 Likes

We haven’t had an animated Superman TV series in forever. I am very excited for this! It has a warm and cozy vibe which I really like. Not crazy about the short hair on Lois but I’m just being nitpicky.

7 Likes

The woman who is co-producing this series, is the same woman who co-wrote the most recent Tomorrow-verse movie, the Legion one with Kara and Brainy. Which is why I don’t have a lot of hopes for this series - my concern isn’t that it will be gory, but that it will have a lot of fanfic tumblr type tropes like Lois and Clark are SOUL MATES, or they have to have ANGST and DRAMA before they discover their TRUE LOVE in the third act (which is essentially what happened on the Legion movie between Kara and Brainy). I mean, with the DCW shows, I expected it, since they are pitched at the YA market audience. But I don’t really want to see a lot of it embedded in my animation.

OTOH, most of the DC Animated stuff, starting with the Shazam/Superman short, and really picking up with Flashpoint Paradox - although less so, so far, with the Tomorrowverse movies, have been far more violent. I don’t think it will be any more violent than your bog standard anime, myself, or the last of the DCAMU movies were.

Yes, but they like manga and anime. And they like Slice of Life. I wouldn’t pin the hopes of your hatred for things like this and desire to see them fail on these opinions, chum.

I plan to watch the first two episodes, but probably after they drop on HBO Max and probably when I go visit my friend (like within a week of broadcast) that still subscribes since I cancelled my service when my three month promotion ended, as I didn’t think I would get the value of paying full price for it.

4 Likes

you clearly have a comprehension problem. Chum.

6 Likes

Apologies, chum!
Those nasty fact things really do get in the way, sadly!
Stupid facts, so so stupid, aren’t they!

4 Likes

It’s like Boondocks and Invincible combined!

5 Likes

I love this! Can’t wait to watch it :eyes:

8 Likes

I don’t know what to make of it. It looks fun, but the vibe, the title, and some of the dialogue from Lois does feel a bit like something I’d hear from a kids show. My opinion may change when it’s out, but as of right now, it’s just not peaking my interest.

4 Likes

New video promotion for My Adventures With Superman, a site suggested this is the opening title sequence (or an edit of it) but I personally suspect it’s just promotional.

https://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1668750112695152640

4 Likes

Agreed- we need a new Supes’ animated series. And with Jack Quaid (Boimler from Star Trek: Lower Decks) in the lead role this show looks fun!
:00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1:

11 Likes

If it is real, then it’s pretty good actually. The El family member hologram in there has me confused, I can’t tell if it’s Jor-El or Lara.

4 Likes

I mean, IT is legit - it’s from Adult Swim’s bird account, so it’s ‘official.’ It just doesn’t feel to me like an opening title sequence, although I did like that it leaned into its anime vibe.

I am surprised that people are complaining about THAT. Aspects of anime animation have been creeping into both live action and western animation for more than a few decades by now.

4 Likes

Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra were inspired by anime and no one complained, the latter’s even considered the best animated series ever. So yeah, seeing people complain about this is very weird.

4 Likes

I reminds me of the people who relentlessly fixated on that one sentence from Justice League Action that Diana says to her Mother and used that as an excuse to trash the entire set of episodes (which at that point had not yet been released), and similar kinda of crap people spout off on line. I mean, I personally wasn’t thrilled that the person who scripted the Super Sons movie went back and included that throw away line “the American Way,” when the books even before Taylor’s writing Son of Kal-El had shied away from that as far back as before New 52, just like I wasn’t going to be that annoyed about the “greatest” “after Batgod” comment around that same scene, and then spend months trashing the movie incessantly over those two isolated lines.

2 Likes

I’m really looking forward to this, it’s got that USA-style anime vibe that reminds me of the Boondocks and some of the other western stuff that popped up when anime started becoming mainstream. Stuff I really liked about Adult Swim way back when, so maybe I’m looking at it through rose-colored glasses. At the very least, it’ll have some kind of weird nostalgia factor for me.

3 Likes