🎶 Mixtape Monday: What Songs Would Mr. Freeze Chill Out To? 🎶

You’re most welcome, @Reaganfan78! :slight_smile: We’re more than happy to accommodate special requests, so it’s a joy to be able to do yours this week! :partying_face: Thank you for the fun fact, by the way… I like being able to store those away to think about later!

To all of you, my goodness, you’ve been awfully busy! But can I blame you? Moving’s sometimes the best way to stay warm, isn’t it? :wink: Thank you all for the songs! I’ll be back to respond to all of you tomorrow, but please feel free to add more in the meantime. I shall be back!

2 Likes

I had an idea for a Mixtape Monday, @MissInkBlot - “Wildcard”. :black_joker: That particular week would allow DCUers to select any DCU character, location, comic storyline, etc. and match a soundtrack to their choice. It would be a great way to collect ideas for future MM’s and bring everyone in on the fun!

2 Likes

Woohoo! Time to get the headphones on! :headphones: Breaking this response up into two, methinks!

@Reaganfan78 - Yay! I’m always for a good twofer for the week! Also good to find out who your favorite singer is. :wink: Such sadness found within those songs, though… but well-matching the story they’re applied to in this case, of course. With Williams’ song, the heartache hits in a heavier manner, while Holly’s is a bit lighter, and certainly more whimsical in quite the interesting way, so they’re almost opposites for me. That said, I think that’s a fantastic combination you’ve put together! :slight_smile:

@Pow-Pow - I know, right? I hadn’t thought of Smashing Pumpkins, but that’s a great choice! Then again, while I’ve never experienced Moyet’s music before listening to it here, who can blame you for choosing that to share? That’s one amazingly atmospheric piece, that not only keeps you in its grip, but permeates your soul with its intensity. Thank you, I love it! :hushed:

@msgtv - You know, it’s really odd how that song’s always given me a cold shiver. Not even in a bad way, either, but when I listen to it, it’s like the music falls on me (like rain), and leaves me a bit cold and shivering, which is the opposite of how I want to feel because of how upbeat its tempo is. It’s hard to explain the effect (off the top of my head’s similar to the feeling I get when hearing “The Times They Are a-Changin’” during Watchmen’s intro), but I find the contradiction delightful, lol. I appreciate your sharing that with us, too! :slight_smile:

@seitan - Ooh, I like that! Cage the Elephant’s always been a great band for me, and I adore the lead singer’s voice (gives me Gorillaz vibes), but I missed out on that song, sadly. :frowning: I’m glad to be able to hear it - the image you see in that video’s quiet accurate in depicting the effect it causes, almost as if floating. I’m going to have to give that another listen tonight! :slight_smile:

@TravisMorgan - Yay to your sharing a twofer, also - we are loving how generous everyone is! :wink: Your two choices are quite varied in their styles, as well, similar to what was experienced with @Reaganfan78’s choices! :hushed: Both are mesmerizing in their own rights, and I can’t choose which I like most (wow, though, I didn’t expect a voice like that during “Cold Cold Ground” - love, love that!)… have a favorite between the two?

@AmberButane2814 - What is this treasure chest of songs you’ve gifted us with? :partying_face: I like what you wrote about being into rock… my brain went, “Aw, really? You don’t think the genre of choice would be happy go lucky kid’s songs like the Miser one I posted?” :stuck_out_tongue: Seriously, though, it really is as if you look at a look at my old MP3 player, and went down the list pulling from it, from The Offspring, to Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, etc. So many of those songs on my favs. Is there one of those you feel would stand as a theme song that portrays him in his entirety?

@KeyFamily - Ooh, outstanding response! You knocked this week out of the park, in my opinion. :slight_smile: Both in terms of music and lyrics, and in terms of perplexing food for thought (lol you’re right about calling a villain “mister,” of all things :stuck_out_tongue: What would you end up calling him instead?). I love “Remedy,” though, and I concur, their bassist’s style is sublime! I had to listen to it for a long while before I could put my finger on what it reminded me of until realized the singer’s voice reminded of the leader of a band called Guano Apes (the chorus for “Open Your Eyes,” in particular, but actually, both of your songs remind me of that). It’s so cool how unrelated songs end up popping up like that in their similarities. :heart_eyes:

As for your request, I really like that idea! I’ll share it with the marvelous Applejack, as well for us to add to the list for the near future. :slight_smile: Thank you!

5 Likes

Lo-fi hip hop beats to study and relax to
-B

@MissInkBlot I’m torn. The Doors were my first obsessive band. Perfect for teenaged Travis to be deep. Tom Waits is just a so unique artist. I love him too. Also, he may have inspired Heath Ledger’s Joker so there’s a DC connection.

2 Likes

Good man! :metal: :man_dancing:

5 Likes

World So Cold-3DG, no question. Life Starts Now is my favorite album, ever.
Title being inconsequential, I feel like, out of my list, it is the best song. I would go into more detail, but it’s like 23:00, and I have school tomorrow. Sorry,…but thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

Apologies for the delay, all! Finishing up from this past week! :heart:

@MisfitCMJ - Ahh, that’s always been a favorite, and listening to it again, I want to add it as a favorite all over again simply because it’s that good of a song, lol. With songs like that, I end up wondering what type of playlist it’d end up on for characters if they’re like us in creating individual ones for certain activities. Hmm… thank you for the food for thought! :slight_smile: :thought_balloon:

@ralphsix - Hehe, yes, yes you did have to do it, because I, for one, would’ve been disappointed had it not been done this theme. :wink: After going back to the scene that my song was shared from, I can’t help but laugh as I imagine Vanilla Ice being danced to, as well, so I thank you for adding that blast from the past to the list! :smiley: :ice_cube:

@scarie2010.15620 - We’re always happy to have Alice Cooper on the list, and when it comes to lyrics like, “If I live till I’m 97, you’ll still be waiting in refrigerator heaven” - talk about your unexpected descriptions. :hushed: That song definitely adds an eeriness to the situation that’s both striking and intriguing!

@AnonymousBB - You know, I’ve tended to stick with my usual ones for groups like that since I hadn’t had the chance to actively branch out for new songs until starting with MTM, but “I am a Rock” makes me see the error of my ways. :wink: I especially like the lyrics for this, and how it ends with, “I am a rock, I am an island, and a rock feels no pain, and an island never cries,” when the earlier lyrics seem to portray just the opposite (after all, why would one need protection if one feels no pain?). Thank you, this is such a great song!

@arkhamassassin - What an interesting choice! It’s been forever since I’ve heard the Jonas Brothers, so this is a fantastic reintroduction to them - thank you! :hushed: Loving the sound of that song, as well as the positive spin on the word cool as far as this theme’s concerned, and I ended up liking that video even more than anticipated (since I already expected to, anyway lol) - there are clearly no mittens or ear muffs needed! :laughing:

@capo-mage - Thank you for sharing multiple songs at once, too! Seriously, it’s as if all of you bring treasure chests full of gems each week - you’re a community of riches! :gem: The Bangles’ song is marvelous in how poetically it describes the change of weather, all while delving so much deeper in what it’s actually trying to convey to you. And alas, I already love Weezer, so “Undone - The Sweater Song” has me wanting to binge their music, meanwhile, due to hearing “Hazy Shade Of Winter” featured in a few shows, it has me wanting to binge them (…and begrudgingly, Austin Powers, too lol) - result: there goes all my free time again. :wink: Those were so well chosen! Thank you! :slight_smile:

@mrsteamer96 - Songs like that make me wish I listened to Three Days Grace more often, even with their already taking up so good a portion of my personal playlist as it is. I’ve yet to find a song by them that I dislike, and that one’s equally wonderful in how emotionally vulnerable the lead singer becomes throughout it. If you weren’t feeling something before listening, it’s hard not to after… thank you for adding that one!

Oh my, now that’s a playlist worth checking out! An idea like that’s good enough to need its own week. :wink:

@thrakaboom - Hmm, that sounds familiar! Is that the livestream that’s usually up on youtube that you’re referring to?

@TravisMorgan - Ah, I’m not the only one having trouble with that choice - I’m in good company, then! :wink: I didn’t know about the possible connection between Waits and Ledger’s performance, though. Wow! I can certainly see the similarities, that’s for sure… he’s a fascinating person to watch be interviewed. I love people and interactions like that, particularly in seeing how they can make even the best show hosts that are usually so capable of keeping their composure, feeling a little unsettled and disconcerted. Interesting clip, there! Thank you for showing me! :slight_smile:

@AmberButane2814 - Ohh, no worries! I hope you had a great day at school, and I completely agree with you on the song choice for fav! I’m glad to see so many of us like 3DG. :heart:

7 Likes

U bet. Sorry I caused a binge-a-thon. :pensive: at least you’re in good hands with all 3. All very binge friendly.

2 Likes

@capo-mage - No apology needed! A night owl like myself’s always down for a good binge! :wink: