šŸŽµšŸ”µ Mixtape Monday - Riding the Rhythms with Blue Beetle šŸ”µšŸŽµ

Welcome back to Mixtape Monday, where we bring you soundtracks inspired by your favorite comic book characters.

This Weekā€™s Theme: Blue Beetle

Hello, musical aficionados and superhero fans! As we dive into another energetic week, itā€™s time to get in tune with Mixtape Monday. In honor of ā€œBlue Beetleā€ hitting theaters this Friday, weā€™re dedicating todayā€™s playlist to Jaime Reyes, the Mexican-American hero who embodies the spirit of the Blue Beetle. With a mix of pulse-pounding reggaeton tracks and other anthems, letā€™s celebrate the vibrancy and resilience of this dynamic character.

Dive in, let the rhythms take over, and immerse yourself in the world of Blue Beetle. Feel the beat of the Scarab and the heart of Jaime Reyes. And donā€™t forget to catch ā€œBlue Beetleā€ in theaters this Friday! Happy listening! :headphones::large_blue_circle::scorpion:

12 Likes

Ironically I was just listening to Rojo on the J Balvin album earlier this morning!

Also nice pick with Bad Bunny. Some of my fave artists making an appearance here :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Sweet! It felt great having a character I could vibe with over some reggaeton songs.

8 Likes

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but isnā€™t Jaime Mexican American? :thinking:

7 Likes

Correct, with the movie being filmed in Puerto Rico, I naturally thought he was Puerto Rican. My bad.

8 Likes

Okay, first up is ā€œChicano Powerā€ by one of the earliest Chicano bands out there, Thee Midniters.

And it seems fitting to have a song by the most famous band named for bugs everā€¦

11 Likes

A few Mexican MLB players walk out/warm up to this song. Itā€™s incredibly upbeat and infections. As a Salvadoran I can get behind it :el_salvador: :mexico:

The song ā€œEl MechĆ³nā€ by Banda MS de Sergio LizĆ”rraga is a plea from a son or daughter to their mother, asking her to be given permission to travel around the world. The lyrics repeatedly ask the mother to ā€œprĆ©ndeme el mechĆ³nā€ which literally translates to ā€œlight the candleā€ but is a Spanish expression that is used to ask someone to grant permission to do something. Through the song, the protagonist is begging to be granted permission to travel to cities such as AsunciĆ³n, ObregĆ³n, Nuevo LeĆ³n, and Nueva York. The overall meaning of the song is that being granted permission to experience the beauty of the world is worth far more than any material gift the mother could give.

11 Likes

Sorry, Iā€™m taking the easy route this week:

13 Likes

Fun fact: his motherā€™s maiden nameā€¦

Reyes

:exploding_head:

11 Likes

Hello @Stoic_Jester,
Hereā€™s a song that Jamie might like, I think it fits well with his Blue Beetle. :smiley:

13 Likes

First, a message to the bad guys.

and this just seems like itā€™d be fun during an action scene.

12 Likes
9 Likes
8 Likes

Hereā€™s another Ritchie Valens song, this one performed by Los Lobos from the La Bamba soundtrack:

8 Likes

That Tex Mex sound.

La Grange - ZZ Top

8 Likes
9 Likes

Was waiting for someone to drop the olā€™ blue daba dee :+1:

6 Likes

I expected a lot of Chicano music and Beatles songs, but I am kind of surprised there havenā€™t been more songs with the word ā€œblueā€ in them.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not the biggest expert on Latin music or Beetles songs, but I do know that since he made himself a Final Fantasy ass sword in the trailer that heā€™d be into stuff like this:

7 Likes

This is one of those songs I can never remember the name of when I want to, but thanks to this thread it is now my completely-tangential-to-his-story official headcanon Jaime theme song.
And of course, because Captain Feleena (technically Felina) is Captain Leatherwingā€™s lady love, I now want this song to actually be why thereā€™s no more Jaime Reyes on Earth-31.

Norwegian EDM with an Arabic folk vibe for a Mexican American character? I stand by it.

Bonus: tracks for Brenda and Paco, both unceremoniously omitted from the otherwise fine film. (Iā€™m still hoping for brief cameos or off camera references to set them up for a sequel, despite Jenny appearing to be a loose riff on Brenda maybe. At least we get a way too old Milagro.)

And actually the first song that I thought of, which would more be the song for all the two bit local criminals regretting Jaimeā€™s newfound powers:

8 Likes