šŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Nubia šŸŽ¶

Reeling things back to be more on topic here! Feel free to take the more in-depth music discussion to DMs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ok :ok_hand: not a problem. Ty & I apologize.

3 Likes

Noted/apologies.

3 Likes

I think it was just me. I wrote an entire story about all she did for womenā€™s rights. How Dave Grohl lived in Washington but was born in Ohio. Thatā€™s how she met Kurt when she went to Evergreen state. It was the title of a Nirvana song that did it. I was saying they almost for sure (whether it was intentional or purposeful) wrote said song based on what Kurt helped her get through. Is that ok @staticshocks? I just didnā€™t wanna rewrite it all over again in another section, & I honestly wouldnā€™t even be able to remember it all. If not u can yank itā€¦

3 Likes

Oh, you posted something that was removed before I saw it? Now I get it.

Since I never contributed a track to this thread, Iā€™ll course correct our digression discussion of digression with some tunes that I donā€™t think have been used yet:

6 Likes

@capo-mage :raised_hands: Iā€™m w/ @keath ff*k yeah! Great pickā€”everyone needs Kathleen Hanna in their lives. Soooā€¦ Iā€™m gonna drop some more!

And another one for Nubia :lion: Cant not drop this remix hereā€¦ Iā€™m genuinely disappointed in myself for not thinking of this one sooner!

9 Likes

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking about @Razzzcat!!! Also, yes @keath It went under review as soon as I hit reply. So I wrote another post telling u that I have an already written post under review. That post didnā€™t make it thru their review process, & the post informing u about the post got removed. Basically, every thing I wrote got deleted, & everyone elseā€™s stayed up. Thatā€™s where the confusion came from. My posts were as directly related as possible. Definitely as relevant as every post that didnā€™t get removed. Mine were just both too touchy I guess? My Back in Black comment, & Kathleen response to your post to me about Kathleen, & my post telling u I have a post under review all got deleted. Everything else stayed. But, I get it. I guess if Iā€™m on topic u canā€™t say it was removed b/c of that. So, just remove it & say itā€™s off-subject, cuz itā€™s too touchy. Thatā€™s not me being upset or arguing, itā€™s just facts. I think those were more appropriate for a deeper music thread as @staticshocks was suggesting. I shouldā€™ve known better then to post them here.

4 Likes

Heeeey @capo-mage! :hugs: I didnā€™t see what was there, so I canā€™t say much on ā€˜touchyā€™, even tho Iā€™ve only ever known you to be honest and empathetic. But in terms of ā€˜on topicā€™ I will say, just as the founder of :inkys_mixtape_mob2: The Mix Mob: This is technically a club activity & discussion, so if things meander a bit, that makes sense, imo. A post about a feminist & queer icon/musician like Ms. Hanna (or what you learned from her) in a Nubia music thread seems like an organic and productive contribution to meā€¦its literally the reason we aimed to salvage MTM. :sweat_smile: Anywayā€”hereā€™s another awesome lady. :fist: :lion: :crown: Plz enjoy, friends. :purple_heart:

10 Likes

Strange Fruit is the eeriest song ever made imho. Thatā€™s the type of song that grabs u by the face, & forces u to hear itā€™s message. Nina was a character. She was bipolar at a time that nobody would know what u weā€™re talking about, if u told them u were. Truly an icon, & one of my favorite semi-recent Rock Hall Inductees. On the other stuffā€¦ I donā€™t get it either & :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: on the comments. Song title was touchy, but how else can I say it? It was literally the entire summation of my story on how much Hanna did for women-& how Kurt had to (subliminally or not) write it based on their shared experiences. Also, (I wouldā€™ve forgot if u didnā€™t tag me) it all started b/c I was talking about The Punk Singer. Itā€™s a documentary on Hanna, & sheā€™s (was rip) married to Ad-Rock/ Adam Horovitz from the Beastie Boys. I was saying how crazy it was that she had to leave the scene at the height of her career due to medical issues. Thatā€™s what the documentary was about. Then, within weeks Ad-Rock passed awayā€¦crazy. But yeah ty. I wouldā€™ve completely forgotten to suggest watching that documentary which was my entire point. Once everything I wrote was scooped, I couldnā€™t remember what I wrote lol.

4 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s very impressive. Yeah she did a ton for women in general (speaking out about men groping em at parties etc) when she was at Evergreen State, & in promoting female bands. Her biggest driving force stemmed from a date ā€œā€”-ā€œ situation (not sure I could use that term on here & frankly donā€™t want to) that happened to her friend at a college party at Evergreen. Thatā€™s how she knew Kurt. Dave Grohl is pretty much established as having been from Washington. He was actually born in Ohio, but he was in Washington right when the punk scene was happening there. So that was how she knew Kurt. She was already playing gigs & he was doing poetry & art. He was with her thru the whole date ā€œā€”ā€œ situation as far as being a shoulder for her. I often think, itā€™s almost for sure she (knowingly or not?) inspired Kurt/Nirvana to write & record Rape Me. The parallels are so hard to dismiss as just coincidence imhoā€¦ also, apologies after avoiding using that term the entire post, I had no choice but to use the proper title of the song. Plus, itā€™s impossible to make my point about my theory of that song, if I donā€™t say what song Iā€™m referring to lol.

4 Likes

Hey!!! My post got approved & reposted!!! @Razzzcat & @keath. This is the post I was referring to that got yanked. Mustā€™ve been re-reviewed to invent a word lol. Ty @staticshocks or whomever approved it. I appreciate it as I never wouldā€™ve remembered all of that :stuck_out_tongue:ā€¦

4 Likes

Haha, I was suspecting that was what happened. Was very confused by the timestamp - would be nice if such re-reviewed posts could be threaded in their original context.

For the record, I would have known what song you were referencing even if you blanked it. :wink: It should have been my senior prom theme but some administrators didnā€™t think it was appropriate for some reason, despite receiving more nominations than all other songs combined.

3 Likes

Some people just donā€™t look past the title. Then, past that even, is the territory that song lies in. Itā€™s an extremely powerful survivor/ healing embedded song. They (school board) probably didnā€™t even realize it was a song about what @#$@#$& some guys unfortunately, can be. A protest for the right reasons song. Yeah, (sorry Iā€™m working backwards on the response lol) in context wouldā€™ve been :sunglasses: cool. But, Iā€™m just elated to have it back. Because I honestly wouldnā€™t have ever been able to reconstruct it once itā€™s gone. I knew u would know what song, u & @Razzzcat, but I treaded as closely as I could just in case? I thought I did a decent job? But, at the same time, I completely get why that would be earmarked instantly. But yeah, if u ever see The Punk Singer & u are flipping channels, check it out. Great stuff on Hanna & Kurt; & entire music scene just pre-grunge.

3 Likes

I just happen to have the celebratory gif handy, might as well put it too good use! :stuck_out_tongue:
Thnx @staticshocks :purple_heart:
(And since this is the band Iā€™m listening to today, and it totally worksā€¦) hereā€™s this! :dancer:t2: :00_wonder_woman_gold:

7 Likes

Haha, channels? What are those? :wink: I think I can rent it from Amazon, but my wife hates music documentaries, so itā€™s on my list to watch solo at some point (along with I Am a ClichĆ©, Suzi Q, The McLaren Westwood Gang, and The Upsetterā€¦)

3 Likes

I know bud, I knew it when I typed it. I was like, did I just say flipping channels. Then, for the 1st X in my life I had to ask, will anyone even know what that means? :joy: Iā€™m glad u weā€™re around enough to at least make fun of me for it hahaā€¦

3 Likes

That gif is rad!!! & YES ty @staticshocks, &, or, all mods whom had a hand on the gavelā€¦.

2 Likes

I live to serve.

To mock. And to serve.

To serve through mockery, if you will.

(I called the remote control a ā€œclickerā€ in front of my niece once. Iā€™ve never seen so much pity in the eyes of a pre-teen.)

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:!! I believe itā€¦.

3 Likes