đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: Mad Magazine đŸŽ¶

Welcome back to another scary chapter of Mixtape Monday! Last week’s playlist was full of rags for the one and only Ragman:

Ragman Playlist
  • “Twilight Zone”, by Golden Earring
  • “I’m Alive”, by Aaron Tveit
  • “A Lyke Wake Dirge”, by Andrew Bird and Matt Berninger
  • “New Rag”, by Scott Joplin
  • “Magic”, by B.o.B
  • “Alexander’s Ragtime Band”, by Irving Berlin and Miff Mole
  • “The Thread”, by The Devil Wears Prada
  • “Voices (Randy Orton)”, by Richard Luzzi and WWE Music Group
  • “Lost in the Supermarket”, by The Clash
  • “Sanford & Son Theme (The Streetbeater)”, by Quincy Jones
  • “Body and Soul”, by The Sisters of Mercy
  • “Rags to Riches”, by Tony Bennett
  • “Beast In The Night”, by Stefano Landi
  • “The Golem”, by The Kabalas
  • “Man In A Hat”, by The Klezmatics
  • “Rag and Bone”, by The White Stripes
  • “Tragedy + Time”, by Rise Against
  • “Ties That Bind”, by Alter Bridge
  • “My Girlfriend Is a Witch”, by October Country
  • “Body and Soul”, by Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse
  • “Redeemer of Souls”, by Judas Priest
  • “Harry Rag”, by The Kinks
  • “Rag Doll”, by Aerosmith
  • “I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow”, by Soggy Bottom Boys
  • “Burn My Shadow”, by Unkle
  • “14 Year”, by Vitamin String Quartet
  • “Human”, by Rag’n’Bone Man
  • “Rags and Bones”, by The Band
  • “Ragman”, by Drakum
  • “Spirits”, by The Strumbellas
  • “Shadow People”, by Tom Petty

This Week’s Theme: Mad Magazine

This week’s playlist is all about Mad Magazine, which arrives here on DCUI tomorrow! Whether you’ve been reading it for decades or are planning to give it a shot for the first time tomorrow, what do you think belongs on the perfect Mad playlist? Share your picks with us, below!

Since Mad is full of parodies, I’ll start things off with one of my favorite parody songs:

Due to the high volume of submissions and the limited number of hours in a day, we’ll be selecting two songs from each member, but feel free to share as many as you like!

:headphones: Curious what Mixtape Monday is? :headphones:
Every week, we’ll post the title of our latest Mixtape, and you post tracks of your choice in the comments below! We’ll follow up next Mixtape Monday with the list of tunes, two from each user, collected from the week before. And if our “What’s the Last Song You Heard?” thread is any indication, you all have superb taste in tunes!

For our hardcore music lovers, we suggest joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob , a group created to bring all music lovers together in one place. Joining Inky’s Mixtape Mob will make sure you get notified of every playlist update, as well as offer you a custom flair and title to show off your maestro-dom!

While lyrics must abide to Forum Guidelines , the songs can be anything, of any genre, as long as it meets each week’s theme!

12 Likes
11 Likes

Here is the first song I thought of.
Our House by MADness

12 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes

Greetings Mix Mob! :notes: :inkys_mixtape_mob2: So Mad Magazine!
This first one
 I have no excuse for myself—it’s what popped into my head first, and I’m rollin’ w/ it! :stuck_out_tongue::dancer:t2::purple_heart:

Weird Science- Oingo Boingo

And this one is for Spy vs Spy: (the only thing I remember lol)

Last of the Secret Agents- Nancy Sinatra

13 Likes

I have had affection for this song ever since first hearing it. And many thanks for getting Mad Magazine on the new Ultra.

8 Likes

I haven’t read a MAD Magazine in forever, but they always made me laugh. SPY vs SPY was my favorite and I think this song would work well for them.

12 Likes

:disguised_face: Hey @Green.Lantern,
While I’m enjoying reading the magazine for the first time, I think this song by weird Al is a perfect fit from Transformers the movie!

This muvie Sung a Musterpiece!:upside_down_face:

8 Likes

9 Likes

No matter how many times I hear this song the beginning always makes me laugh.

8 Likes

I’m expecting this playlist to have the record both for most Weird Al songs and songs with “mad” in the title.

8 Likes

Two of my favorite songs that are actually from MAD Magazine:

11 Likes

Way back in 1959, before many of us were born, two Mad records were released. The first was Musically Mad, which most featured instrumentals. The second was The Worst from Music No. 2, which contained this song, credited to Alfred E. Neuman & The Furshlugginer Five, “What Me Worry?.”

In 1962 the album Mad Twists Rock ‘N’ Roll came out. It included this parody of dance songs like the Twist, “The Pretzel,” recorded by The Dellwoods (recording as The Sweet Sickteens). Unless you listen closely to the lyrics, you could actually believe it was a straight forward dance song!

13 Likes

“Mad World”, by Tears For Fears

“The Spy Hunter”, by Project 86

9 Likes

Weird Al is Mad Magazine in human form. And yes, I do mean that as a compliment.

7 Likes

It’s funny, as much of a comic head as I am, whenever I think of Mad, I more think of the TV show that they had in the 90s.

Eagle eyed viewers might notice a certain DC alum in this video

11 Likes

I don’t even listen to his music, but I’ll definitely take your words for it. Thankyou for the complement. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes
8 Likes

this made me think of the band madness

11 Likes