đŸŽ¶ Mixtape Monday: GCPD đŸŽ¶

The great thing is most of their songs have the energy of “Mick Jones is throwing the dopest block party in London and you’re all invited let’s get funky baby”

11 Likes

FilmStruck — clashgifs: Mick Jones Rude Boy,1980

12 Likes

13 Likes

It’s not very long but I do enjoy the Gotham show intro and theme.

13 Likes

Wow I forgot how gorgeous Sinead O’Connor was/is.

12 Likes

Also, I’m pretty sure their song C’mon Every Beatbox samples some of Burt Ward’s dialogue from Batman '66

10 Likes

Oh, wow, yeah, it absolutely is! Around 3:18, right before The Cotton Club sample of Laurence Fishburne’s “stay black and die” speech.

I always figured it was someone else just saying “Holy Nightmare,” because the only episode of the TV show where he says that is Not Yet, He Ain’t (S01E22), but he slams his milk down during the first syllable of “Nightmare” - which would be tough to filter out. But I never thought to check the movie!

Gordon: “Oh, the thought strikes me. So dreadful, I scarcely dare give it utterance.”
Bats: “The four of them. Their forces combined.”
Robin: “Holy Nightmare!” clear as crystal, no milk.

(Related, I love videos where people lip sync the samples. C’mon Every Beatbox is second only to Everlast’s The Rhythm because Ice T lip syncing Salt n Pepa is pure magic.)

11 Likes

The Venn diagram of people that care equally about Big Audio Dynamite and Batman '66 is a circle consisting of me and @keath

9 Likes

That’s what I’m sayin’. :+1:

I know my gurrrlll’s papa is trying his best (he really is) and Bullock and Montoya work hard as well but the GCPD is without a doubt one of the most corrupted and ineffectual law enforcement entities in the history of fictional storytelling. Bar none. Frankly, in light of B-Man’s unquenchable desire to wipe out crime in Gotham City he would do well to finally sift his way through the employee based rogues gallery of this beleaguered and blightfull agency and start rounding up the criminals within.

Here’s a perfect take on the GCPD (along with the rest of Gotham’s horrible public services infrastructure) from PE:

Also- when I first watched Training Day back in 2001 I remember thinking how Denzel Washington’s character Alonzo (such an amazing portrayal BTW) would be a perfect fit for the GCPD environs:

12 Likes

Smiles and cries, smiles and cries

Training Day is my favorite movie! So good.

R (4)

9 Likes

“So, where’s the office? Back at the division?”

“You’re in the office baby.”

Annnnnd cue the music

11 Likes

Jake’s expressions whenever Alonzo did anything crazy
 Priceless

9 Likes

IKR? Jake’s in constant WTF mode the whole day.

10 Likes

uhhhh

11 Likes

I think :thinking: the best theme that suits the GCPD would probably have to be the theme from NYPD Blue by Mike Post. It’s got that heavy, thumping beat to it and those loud, staccato bursts that sound like gunshots going off in it. That theme to me instantly pops into my head every time I read the GCPD comics. The theme from Hill Street Blues would not fit the GCPD at all because the GCPD is dealing with dark stories and tragedies every day just like they do on NYPD Blue.

Hill Street Blues had more humor to it and that’s another reason why it wouldn’t fit the GCPD. NYPD Blue deals with some dark stuff, man! Just like the GCPD does. The theme from Hill Street Blues would fit more with the Metropolis PD than the GCPD, in my opinion.

So NYPD Blue’s theme is my pick. That is until we get a GCPD show, of course, and they give us a proper theme for them then.

6 Likes

My god he’s such a beanpole

8 Likes

A guacamole

8 Likes

Dennis Franz would have made an interesting Bullock.

7 Likes

I :100:% agree with you, @ChaoticScolar. NYPD Blue’s entire 12 year run basically served as a redemption story for Andy Sipowicz. He got shot in the very first episode and then the rest of the show was about him learning to become a better person because his views were jaded and borderline racist. But he had people around him to help him better himself like his wife, Sylvia, Lieutenant Fancy, John Kelly, and Bobby Simone.

I don’t mention his other two partners, Danny Sorenson or John Clark Jr., as being big helpers to Sipowicz’ character reformation because they didn’t do too much for him during their time on the show with him. When they entered the show, Sipowicz became more like a father figure to them because of their ages instead of having a true partnership like he had with Kelly and Simone. But seeing how tortured Sipowicz was as a character, I totally agree that he could’ve played Bullock and he would’ve been great at it. But I don’t know if Dennis Franz would’ve been interested in playing Bullock because of how similar Bullock and Sipowicz are in character type.

Let me just say that I am a huge Dennis Franz fan and I read this great interview with him from a very long time ago where he stated that he had played 27 different cop roles throughout his career but the one he was the proudest of was playing Andy Sipowicz. He made a joke in the interview too about the only reason he gets cop roles is because he looks like a cop but the interviewer noted that, in real life, Dennis Franz was nothing like the character he portrays on screen because of how soft spoken he was and the fact that he loves to garden. It was a good interview. You can find it when you Google Dennis Franz’ name.

But Bullock and Sipowicz are very similar characters and Dennis Franz might not have wanted to play him because of how similar they are. Bullock did some pretty terrible things back in the '80s when he was first introduced. He was a broken man, just like Sipowicz. I just read a Batman comic from the '80s that featured Bullock going out on a date with a waitress and he finally thinks that he’s turned a page in his life.

That is until she gets killed and he sees that act as being part of some sort of penance that he’s serving for the terrible things that he’s done in his life. I had never read this story before. But I just started reading the pre-Crisis Batman comics on DCUI, including this comic, and Bullock does some questionable stuff back then in the '80s. In the '90s, he gets saved by having Renee Montoya for his partner and Commissioner Gordon looks out for him as well and that’s similar to what happened with Sipowicz.

Then “Hardback” Bock came and he also looked out for Bullock as well, especially after he was shot. So, you see, @ChaoticScholar, we kind of did get to see Dennis Franz’ take on Harvey Bullock. All you need to do is watch NYPD Blue :slightly_smiling_face:.

8 Likes

It’s great, I like it a lot! I used to watch the show a lot with my grandmother, who just passed away recently. I saw it’s streaming now, so I’m looking forward to watching it more.

6 Likes