Matt Kindt’s Art

I’ve recently been reading a bunch of Matt Kindt’s comics (MIND MGMT, Dept. H, Revolver) and I’m wondering what the DCU community thinks about his art. I couldn’t quite make up my mind on it. First and foremost, his sequential storytelling is unassailably fantastic, and I was rarely, if ever confused as to what was going on. On the one hand, the washed-out colors and ethereal, dream-like figures are good aesthetic choices for something like MIND MGMT, where reality is entirely subjective, but also his proportions vary wildly from panel-to-panel and his faces are somewhat inconsistent, particularly on secondary characters. If anyone else has read these books, what did you think?

(PS, Revolver is awesome, you all should go read it if you haven’t, and DC, please put it back into print)

3 Likes

I love stylistic art that only one artist truly owns. Like Kindt, Miller, Magnola, etc.

3 Likes

I love his stuff, and I’m also a big fan of Jeff Lemire. Most of my favorite artists have a unique style.

3 Likes

His style works very well with Mind MGMT, particularly the bizarre stuff he does on the side of the panels in that.

I got to stay I do like though having someone else doing the illustration for Grass Kings for him. what a gorgeous water color book that is!

1 Like

I shall proceed to check his work out. Thanks for the highlight.

1 Like

Typically, I lean more towards realism when looking at comics, but I do have to admit that his style is captivating. It’s a very different approach to art, and @Don-El pointed out it perfectly suits more bizarre content.

1 Like

Love his stuff. Mind MGMT and DeptH are both excellent. His style reminds me quite a bit of Jeff Lemire, especially with the watercolors. His books really stand out in the weekly stack. Will keep reading his stuff.

3 Likes

If you like, look carefully at the far edges the borders of this page from Kindt’s Mind MGMT, left side of the panels …you may need to expand the image a little.

2 Likes

@Don-El
Yeah. I have the two omnibuses of MIND MGMT that they’ve put out, and they took me like three hours longer to digest them than any other comics because I kept turning my iPad to the side and reading the field notes. Very cool. He did something similar in Revolver where the writing at the bottom of the page was a news headline from the day and somewhere in said headline was the page number. Never let it be said that he’s afraid to mess around with the way we read comics.

2 Likes