Mandrake & Veitch - Not A Law Firm

The pencil stylings of Tom Mandrake (The Spectre) have a brushiness that reminds me of Rick Veitch’s work back during the Alan Moore run on Swamp Thing. They both have an expressiveness which is quite dramatic and with an underground quality.

4 Likes

Bringing an underground quality to mainstream corporate comics is most definitely a good thing.

I love Tom Mandrake’s art. In addition to being in love with The Spectre, I also thought he was pretty great on Martian Manhunter.

And come to think of it, the world needs more Rick Veitch comics.

2 Likes

And with this, how can I not agree? Veitch always has my vote. Another fine team: Ostrander and Mandrake.

1 Like

Welp now I am checking them out - just quickly glanced at Tom Mandrake’s Martian Manhunter run that was mentioned by @cosnerama.86780 - looks awesome - saved to read now - will have to check out Veitch when I get a chance and compare then come back

2 Likes

I just recently picked up a non-DC Rick Veitch oddity that I enjoyed a lot. It is called Super-Catchy.

Its more comic book poetry rather than a story with a plot. It is a small book, with every page making some statement about what Super-Catchy (a person, a place, a thing?) is. Those pages are all illustrated by Veitch with big-imagination superheroic figures. It doesn’t take long to read, but I guarantee it will stay in your head a lot longer than it takes to go through it.

2 Likes

Agree with all. Not just piling on. I really did read & love all of those. MM was a pleasant surprise for one I went into w/o any influence or previous opinions either way.

1 Like

Now that is a title worth exploring as well. I don’t hear enough about Mandrake’s MM. Go galactic.

2 Likes

I like the sound of it. Appreciate the highlight. The man is good.

You were already in the fold!

1 Like