"Look What I Just Got" Thread (Part 1)

Congrats to @DC89 !! Super excited for you!

8 Likes

I don’t see any attempt to fix this hole in the storyline.

I do however see a clever way they could have, take a peek at this:

It’s a bit of a “stretch” I know, but that elastic potion could have allowed the formerly “Ugly Superman” to make his face look like it used to, just like he made his nose stretch and wiggle here.

7 Likes

Could be! Or maybe he hired a handsome actor to pretend to be him at the end of Lois Lane #8. Or maybe his new face was ruined by a botched wrestling move. I’ll have to keep an eye out for Jimmy Olsen #54.

6 Likes

… or perhaps he found that his wrestling career was ruined with a pretty face, so he had more surgery to go back to the way he looked …

5 Likes

All perfectly reasonable Silver Age explanations!

6 Likes

I just sold fairly worthless Modern Age pieces of my collection and some Absolute hardcovers, things like that, to a local comic store this weekend so I could have more room, for example, to display my action figures on a bookshelf, and I have no aspiration to own all the Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen comics … however, I also can’t resist picking up issues I’m missing for a decent price because they haven’t been digitized for the most part.

6 Likes

I should have taken pictures of that and called it, “look what I just got rid of.”

7 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: :hugs:

7 Likes

Thank you! :smiley: :hugs:

7 Likes

Good gets here @Don-El. :+1:

7 Likes

I had forgotten that the Ugly Superman also appeared in Jimmy’s book from his first appearance in Lois. Did he ever make it a trifecta and actually appear in the self-titled or Action as well?

@Kon-El-Prime Darkseid double-dips.

@basicallytimdrake @TheCosmicMoth Superboy and the Ravers is the one Superman related thing I’ve never even skimmed. Someone ages ago gave me a DVD of old scans which included the entire set of issues (15 or so?), but I transferred them to an external HD that I still have but refuses to mount. So I suspect I’ll have to wait for DC to do something, and since the 1990s Superboy self-titled barely got a vol. 1 collection, I suspect the best I can hope for is a digitization of the entire run and reading them one-by-one. Eventually.

• -

I decided to take a page from @moro and bought my first lot, because someone was unknowingly selling two of those Public Enemies action figures that Mattel apparently made a kajillion variants for the animated film so I’ve snared myself an Ed McGuinnes Batman as my first (and quite possibly only ever (used) Batgod toy purchase that isn’t a cake topper or a tiny army soldier type). Or Adam West’s Bright Knight. Or Lego Batgod. Or Girl Bat Lady from Earth 11. Or Chibi Bat Demi-Godling from Multiversity.

Side Rant: I also did not realize that they made an Bruce Wayne action figure of RPatz, lanky hair, black ensemble and all, and if I had money to burn AND everything else on my toy wish list already purchased, including all future wish lists items to be created at a later date also funded, I might buy it just for the LOLZ.

But the fact that it exists BUT we don’t get a lousy official toy of Routh’s DCW Superman, much less Hoechlin’s, is proof positive of the bat-conspiracy at the heart of Warner Brother’s Consumer Products Licensing Division.

OTOH, I scored myself a McGuiness Superman. Used but it looks fairly near mint for an out of box, “played with” item.

It came with two Funko’s - why they paired it that way, is beyond me. And it’s of a certain psychotic clown and her girlfriend so they are going to become my first attempt to sell something on eBay.

I suspect I can get at least $10 a piece for each, if not more? But even just $20 (minus whatever eBay collects in blood and flesh) will mean I scored the two McGuiness for about $5 a piece (plus shipping for the lot).

I also bought a second thing, which I will post when it arrives and I set it up. It’s very nifty.

10 Likes

Same. I remember buying Mossimo before it became a Target exclusive deal.

I never had Stussy schtuff, but I knew the brand, as it was seemingly popular among the guys who wore their Oakley sunglasses backwards on their head during class.

Oh, I bet if I was with you, I could have pointed out some super-schtuff for ya. :wink:

Nice!

A “newsstand”? What is this “newsstand” the ad speaks of?

Must be like that “phone booth” thing I hear about on occasion.

SN: Yes, I do actually know what a newsstand is, as well as a phone booth.

You can snag the entirety of Superboy and the Ravers on eBay for a decent price. It has no demand right now, so now’s the time.

Mattel made two variants in their 6-inch, Target exclusive Superman/Batman: Public Enemies line:

• Metallic Superman
  • Blue and gray Batman

Just those two. :wink:

Their Infinite Heroes-scaled SBPE line had no variants.

5 Likes

Sunday afternoon Target pick-up:

The sidecap was present next to the DC stuff (well, technically the Transformers stuff, but close enough to the DC section, y’dig? :nerd_face: ) which was a nice change of pace from series 1’s endcap placement at the store I initially found it at…down by the pre-school toys.

Anyway, McFarlane’s first rendition of Jaime is pretty slick and then some. The sculpt and detail are sharp, as are the paint apps.

For any curious, Jaime was the only new figure in the display. Everything else is the previous series 3 releases (Flashpoint Aquaman, Rebirth Batman, Batman Beyond and New 52 Lex).

I haven’t read Blue Beetle: Graduation Day yet, so #1 will be joining Batman Beyond: Neo-Year #1 in my “Its new to me in print, thanks to Page Punchers.” reading stack.

Thanks again to @StrangeVisitor for the heads-up on this one. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

But, but eBay is showing a Composite Superman/Batgod and a highly overpriced Clark wearing Billy’s outfit over his Superman uniform! And also a flying version of Superman that I can’t tell if it’s really different since the seller literally posted one lousy picture of just the box and I’m not that interested to look it up otherwise. About 6 pages of results pop up, the ones you’d expect like PeeGee and Captain Atom and not enough Metallo’s - which surprised me, nor any Wallers, but loads of Lex.

5 Likes

Well, like I said, they reprinted the Lois Lane story in the Superman Annual #3. Outside of that and the Jimmy Olsen story and reprint, I don’t think he made any more appearances. However, that’s difficult for me to say for certain as information on minor Silver Age characters is spotty, at best. So… I don’t believe so, but I could be wrong.

I would expect it to get digitized, in full, eventually. It’s not exactly essential reading, though, and not in high demand. So… it may take a bit.

5 Likes

Those are from DC Direct’s Superman/Batman line, which was based on assorted storylines from the Superman/Batman comic series.

Composite Superman is from series 5 and can be seen in-package below (for any who are curious for a MOC look at him):

Superman dressed in Shazam’s suit was a ToyFare magazine exclusive:

While not shown on the cardback alongside the other series 1 figures, ShazSuperman is technically a part of that series.

Here’s a sample of Mattel’s Superman/Batman: Public Enemies figures in-package:

The metallic version of the above:

Not picturing the cardback, since its identical to that of the original, non-metallic edition.

Just for kicks, here’s the entirety of Mattel’s 4-inch SBPE line which, again, was in-scale to their Infinite Heroes line, especially since most of the line was retooled and repainted Infinite Heroes figures to begin with:

9 Likes

I got to get that Composite Superman, I can’t wait to see what it costs.

If it’s too much maybe I’ll create my own…

6 Likes

I did find this one for only $15.79, but I think I’ll keep looking…

Although I will say tempting tempting.

10 Likes

Knowing how some on eBay comically overprice older DCD figures, you might want to seek out a loan, just in case. :smile:

Knowing how older DCD figures should be priced, I say don’t spend any more than $40 on a carded S/B Composite Superman.

You could always get him from DCD’s First Appearance line, too/instead:

That figure has a reprint of the character’s first appearance, which adds a lot more entertainment value to the piece than than S/B offering exhibits, as that one is just the figure and its display stand.

Were you only to get one, I’d highly suggest the First Appearance iteration.

It certainly tempted me and then some, because that ended up being the first Composite Superman in my collection.

9 Likes

DC Direct Composite Superman is now flying to my location. Should I be scared??

7 Likes