"Look What I Just Got" Thread (Part 1)

Freakin’ crazy town stuff. :flushed:

It’s gonna’ be fun!

:smiley: :purple_heart:

8 Likes

Me to Ms. Right: “How about we spend all of the money we were gifted for a wedding (and are therefore allowed to use as we like, wedding or otherwise) on a wicked-rad comic and toy hunt, instead? I mean, we can finally afford a Turbojet Batwing, now.”

Ms. Right: “Snoogans.”

:smile:

visualizes DC89 walking up to the hotel desk like Babs above

DC89: “Where may I get some ice, please?”

Desk clerk: “Over by the Pepsi machine.”

DC89 (her fingers still held up as cowl ears while she boogies by the desk): “Thank you kindly.”

Desk clerk: “You got it, Bats.”

6 Likes

Match made in heaven. :+1:

6 Likes

Darkseid is.

Darkseid is.

6 Likes

:laughing: :purple_heart:

8 Likes

I don’t know why that double posted, but it’s kinda funnier that way.

8 Likes

Especially if she’s as big of a fan of Belinda Carlisle’s “Heaven Is a Place on Earth” as I am.

Darkseid, did you thump Tarzan on the head and steal his loincloth?

:notes: Double the Darkseid, Doublemint…gum! :notes:

6 Likes

You’d certainly have music in common with them! However, from what little I know of the subculture, I’d be surprised if you were able to juggle both the collector lifestyle with the raver lifestyle. It’s not impossible, but I’d be surprised…

I know, shocking, yeah???

I think they’re similar in two ways. They are obviously young adult heroes designed to appeal to young adults. They could also end up being Conner’s “side team” in the same way the Ravers were.

However, I also see them as being markedly different. The Ravers were a group of young people with different traumas and chose to deal with them by escaping into the rave. The Cosmoteers are young people with the same trauma who choose to deal with it through aggressive action. They also aren’t held together using an era-specific gimmick like a rave.

So, I can see the similarities, but there are clear differences.

7 Likes

Hey, why not?

I’ve managed being a collector for 35 years, so I should be able to manage moving to the groove at a rave as well.

That said, I will NEVER do drugs. That side of the rave scene is not at all for me.

I’ll also never boogie while chewing on a pacifier.

My days using a pacifier are long, long gone and no matter how cool the music or people, I will NOT indulge my inner-Maggie Simpson at the joint. :smile:

Totes. :smirk:

QFT.

After Man of Tomorrow concludes, I’m thinking a re-read of S&TR may be in order, so as to fully articulate the differences between the Ravers and the Cosmoteers.

6 Likes

You damn kids and your hippity-hop music. Boots and pants.

8 Likes

Doc Martens?

I prefer Skechers boots, myself.

JNCOs?

I had multiple pairs of JNCOs in the '90s and early '00s, along with Silvertabs.

On that note, I always wanted, but never had, a pair of Interstates.

6 Likes

At least it ain’t Limp Bizkit.

7 Likes

I listened to Limp Bizkit in high school while wearing JNCOs and Utility ('Member Utility? 'Member Mossimo, for that matter?) shirts.

Limp Bizkit makes for fun toy hunt tuneage, with Rollin’ being a fav when the hunt begins.

Of course, as the hunt winds down, I then indulge my ears with liberal amounts of NPR, so as to wash the Durst out of them.

7 Likes

Good eye yes there is a Rorschach

And HUGE Congratulations to DC89 and best wishes for much happiness and love

11 Likes

I had Mossimo graphic tshirts in the 90’s. Stüssy too. Good times.

6 Likes

So I went to the flea market around 10:00 a.m. eastern time today. Unfortunately not a great day for superhero action figures, although there were plenty of wrestling action figures bare-chesting it through the place.

So there was no opportunity to alert you two with my DC Community Signal Watch for advice concerning possible action figure purchases today unfortunately @TheCosmicMoth @Vroom

I did however snag these three comics, speaking of Jimmy omnibuses (okay another thread). Jimmy makes an appearance of two of three of these, clad in heroic purple.

And here’s a hint of the Jimmy goodness in the Superman family comic, page one:

10 Likes

Great finds!

The Ugly Superman is a classic Silver Age villain. I’m psyched that Elastic Lad gets to settle things with him in the ring. I’ve never read that story, though, so you’ll have to tell me what happened to the plastic surgery that Ugly Supes got at the end of Lois Lane #8.

7 Likes

Great point. I hope there’s not a continuity swiss cheese hole here!

7 Likes

As I kind of suspected, that second Jimmy Olsen story with the ugly Superman wrestling is actually a partial yet not full reprint from the story back in Superman’s pal Jimmy Olsen number 54, 1961.

Apparently the first four pages of the story were redone and Rewritten and then the rest of the story from back in 1961 was plastered on for the issue 111 version.

Now to see what year the Lois Lane story occurred…1959, so a good old-fashioned continuity hole here.

10 Likes

Agh! I hate it when they do that!

I hope those four missing pages contain the explanation since they did reprint the Lois Lane story in the Superman Annual #3 from the summer of '61 and even advertised that story from Jimmy Olsen #54 at the end:

6 Likes