LIVE Q&A with Geoff Johns, Comic Book Writer, Television Producer, & Creator of STARGIRL! Thurs, 5/14 @5pm PT/8pm ET

:heart::heart:

1 Like

Hello Mr. Johns!
Thanks for the Q&A,

Any insights in to what was Ben Affleck’s The Batman movie as I know you were involved with writing! Anything would be awesome!

Thank you!

5 Likes

Hi Geoff,
I’ve been a big fan of your work over the years going back to your Teen Titans run with Mike McKone. I would later follow your work to Green Lantern, The Flash, JSA, Aquaman, Justice League, etc. it’s great to see you getting to bring the character Stargirl to the forefront and to a much larger audience knowing how much that character means to you. My question for you, is with new job as a television show runner do you still find the time to continue working on comics and do you have any plans after The Three Jokers series that will be coming out later this year? I hope you do as your voice for the characters of the DC Universe has been an incredibly important to me as well as many other fans around the world. Best of luck with the new Stargirl series, can’t wait to see it.

Hello Mr. Johns,

I am wondering about the new imprint you teased awhile ago and when/if something will come of this?

Also is there an artist that you have not gotten to work with on a project that you hope to one day?

Hello Mr. Johns!
First, I need to take this opportunity to say thank you, because all of my love for DC started ten years ago, when my older brother finished Blackest Night while we were home from college and said to me “you should read this, I think you’ll really like it.” And I’ve never looked back. Your storytelling is directly responsible for me being in this community today. So, thank you.
My question is a little goofy, but you’ve gotten to work with some of the most talented people in the industry- writers, artists, producers, actors, directors, all really talented humans. So, if you had the ability to swap brains and talents for 24 hours with anyone you’ve ever worked with, who would you choose and can you tell us why?

Hi Geoff, thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

1. When is Batman: Earth One vol 3 coming?

2. Are you ever returning to write a Superman monthly comic or launch a new Superman monthly series?

1 Like

Hi Geoff! I can’t wait for Stargirl! How is developing a TV show such as Stargirl, different or similar to how you develop comic books?

So many questions about Stargirl, understandable since it’s coming soon, but because of that I have no idea what to ask other than, anything NOT Stargirl related that we can have a little tease about? Pleeeeeease?

I have loved your many contributions to the DC universe thus far. My question is:

I really love that the DCTV shows take place in a multiverse, sort of like comics. Considering that, going forward, will we continue to see major DC characters (Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern etc…) show up briefly or get name dropped on the wide variety of DCTV Earths? Thanks.

1 Like

Hey Geoff!

So my question is a little more personal but something I’ve always wondered. Being the head producer of not only so many projects but also your own company on top of being one of the most busy and well-renowned writers at DC, how do you manage your time? Do you have any time management tips either in general or for people attempting more than one creative job at a time?

Thanks for taking the time to hang out with the community like this. It means a lot to all of us and I hope you’re having the best day possible!

2 Likes

Hey Geoff, huge fan. Blackest Night is what got me into comics and your Green Lantern Run was the first full run I ever collected. My question are:

1. Since you are going to be an EP on the upcoming Green Lantern series that Greg Berlanti is heading up, how will this affect the film, if that is still in the cards?

2. You have worked with some of my favorite artists in the industry. Who do you have the closest collaboration with? I love your work with both Gary and Ivan.

Thanks Geoff. Looking forward to future projects, both in and out of comics.

2 Likes

Hi Geoff,

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions from our DC community! As a fan of DC comics and films, I have two questions:

1. when will the Snyder Cut be released? A lot of fans are still looking forward to it!
  2. Do we still have a chance to see Man of Steel 2 (with Henry Cavill) in the near future?

Ps: I just found the administer directly delete my Syndercut question, this is ridiculous and pointless. Why can’t you just face the truth and know what fans really want? I have to paste it again, hope you don’t do anything strange again this time.
All the best,
Richard

2 Likes

Hey Geoff.
Just wondering, when you were writing JSA in the 90s, what was the reasoning behind having everyone think that Billy (Shazam) wasn’t age appropriate for Courtney (Stargirl to date, and then having them break up, and then choosing to have her become romantically involved with someone older than her (Atom Smasher)? Wuldn’t it have made more sense to, idk, have Billy reveal to at least one adult that he was in fact a teenager and that their relationship was age appropriate? Instead of having her be romantically involved with someone who actually was older, and actually an incredibly inappropriate romance?

Can’t wait to watch Stargirl the show! Hopefully she’ll date someone her age there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey geoff, huge question, what is your opinion on the nodell’s?

I agree(and this isn’t really a question but something building off of my last post) and I know it’s a weird idea since the characters barely interact in the comics but, if Air Wave was her love interest it could work, and it would be a fun idea. I also think that Air Wave is just as strong as Shazam(if not stronger) and with his powers he and Courtney can learn about cosmic energy together, and it isn’t a very obvious pair so could be a fun surprise.

Also, I can’t wait for Stargirl I know I will enjoy it

1 Like

Hello Mr. Johns!

DC Comics young adult graphic novels such as Shadow of The Batgirl and Green Lantern: Legacy have sold very well and are shining examples of how comics can engage young minds.

Do you think DC Comics main titles are doing everything they can to gain new, diverse readership through the use of legacy characters? Characters like John Stewart, Simon Baz, Wally West, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, and Jaime Reyes have many fans and have had incredible runs but it seems like for the past 10 years (at least) status quo always reigns supreme, with these characters being shoved to the side as the original, first version of a hero stays in the role (Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Barbara Gordon, etc.). As the man responsible for revitalizing Green Lantern mythos but also making Hal Jordan the constant focus, do you have any thoughts of how to make sure legacy characters get to shine?

Thanks for reading, stay safe! Here’s to the future success of Stargirl!

1 Like

Howdy Geoff! Me and the book club are really enjoying your and Tomasi/Gibbons Green Lantern run so far.

1. So I remember reading your Reddit AMA a while back and you told some stories about crashing Richard Donner’s car. Have you had any other experiences in your time in Hollywood that influenced your writing in comics and TV?
  2. And can I get a teaser for the future of Shazam!?
  1. You have written many characters in your lengthy run at DC. But how come we haven’t seen a Green Arrow series from you?

2. As an African American reader who has been supporting DC for years. I noticed that there has always been a shortage of African American superheroes headlining their own titles. What necessary steps will the publisher take to change that?

1 Like

Mr. Johns,

I’ve been such a huge fan of your work for such a LONG time! It was your runs on Aquaman and Justice League that brought me into DC comics to begin with!

If I could only get to ask one question, it has to be this one!

It’s been over 5 years since it was teased, and since we heard the last news of you working on it, but will we ever get to read “Rise of the Seven Seas”? I’ve been dreaming of it since the moment we last heard of it! Can’t wait to hear your response! You’ve been an inspiration! :blush:

1 Like

MR. Johns, Thanks so Much!
I was wondering if writing a character or “Family” of Characters, like The Flash( Barry, Wally, Jay, Bart Wallace…), that have such an emotional and relatable presence rubs off on you in Daily Life? It might sound funny, but do or while writing The Flash DID you ever ask yourself, “What would Barry Allen do in this situation?”. I find I do at times.
The Flash has been in my life as a Hero and Role Model for so such long the character identification I have personally is quite substantial and I’m not the only fan to have this special place for the Flash.
What’s it like to have a Driving Creative hand in some of the best stories and arcs with one of the most LOVED and TRUSTED Superhero in The DCU? Your Flash work made a Hero LITERALLY and Creatively Appropriate for Generations of Readers!
I find it amazing. Thanks for Doing this!