Live Q&A w/ Ron Marz, Comic Writer of GREEN LANTERN, SUPERBOY, & More, Wed 2/24 @2pm PT/5pm ET!

Detective Chimp! I unexpectedly loved writing him in Endless Winter.

15 Likes

Man, a Lantern Chimp story is something I never considered, but suddenly really want.

10 Likes

Honestly, some characters click for me as a writer more than others. But the job is to find a way to connect with any character you get a chance to write. So you have to find your way “in” for each character, how they work best for you. So that’s a different answer to every writer.

11 Likes

Hmm. Can I say ice cream instead? Or mochi?

10 Likes

“Emerald Twilight” is pretty much what I intended. I was given an outline of story beats by editorial, and then left to my own devices to exectute the story. So to great extent, I told the story that editorial asked me to tell, in the way that I wanted to tell it.

10 Likes

Mr. Marz, one of the burning questions in every AMA / Q&A I’ve been in is “Who would win in a wizard battle between Grant Morrison and Alan Moore?”

Do you have any insight? Thank you for being here today! There are no wrong answers!

6 Likes

The ultimate decision belonged to DC editorial, because stories with those ramifications are not just the product of creators. The decision was made to Hal into an antagonist, and I was hired to tell that story in the way I wanted to tell it. Darryl Banks is the one who came up with the name Parallax, which was PERFECT. Yay, Darryl!

11 Likes

Hello Mr Marz!
I’m lurking and reading (hi​:wave::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) Just wanted to take a second to say thank you so much for being here w/ us today. Really enjoying your responses! :purple_heart: Take care.

7 Likes

Alan wins due to much greater quantities of jewelry and hair. I don’t make the rules, I just report them…

11 Likes

Sure! Thanks for answering my question!

5:37pm

7 Likes

Thank you for the response, Detective Chimp as a lantern would be :100: the best thing every!!!

6 Likes

:rofl: Will now be looking for this question in every AMA/Q&A henceforth!
:mage:t2: :boom: :mage:t2:

6 Likes

Well, I LOVE them both, so that’s a similarity. Superman is very much the original, iconic archetype. He is who we aspire to be. He’s not one of us, but he’s the best of us. Kyle is the Everyman archetype, like Spider-Man. Kyle is US, he is who we would be if we got the power ring.

9 Likes

This checks out, Alan Moore does have more hair than Grant Morrison. His jewelry game is also on point.

7 Likes

Thank YOU for being here! I’m glad we can do thing like this, and still have a sense of community, even through we’re separated. That sense of community is one of the things that makes comics special.

10 Likes

So, who haven’t you had the opportunity to work with as an artist or fellow writer, that you would love to work with.

6 Likes

I think Parallax was certainly the most well-known. Effigy was created to very much be a nemesis for Kyle, kind of the dark mirror image of Kyle – someone given power who goes bad. We tried to slip Effigy into Endless Winter, but there just wasn’t room.

10 Likes

I enjoy the vast majority of characters I’ve had the chance to write, but if I have to pick on just one … it’s Superman.

11 Likes

That would have been amazing to see in one of the most fun crossover events in recent memory.

8 Likes

:eyes: Detective Chimp! I need this in my life now.

9 Likes