Live Q&A w/ BATMAN: THE ANIMATES SERIES ADVENTURES - SHADOW OF THE BAT Designer- Monday 3/02 @5pm PST!

Yes. Yes you can. :wink:

5 Likes

The Adventures System is very intuitive, how to play videos can be found online and the game itself has quick guides as well as a comprehensive rulebook.

Penguin is a villain featured in the core box, you can play against a human player controlling him in competitive mode or against the game controlling him in cooperative mode (also if you back the game all in at Kickstarter there is an exclusive Hero mode Penguin included).

All villains can be interchanged in each episode, there is a specific Penguin episode (campaign) included also, “Blind as a Bat”.

The Adventures System is all about creating your own battles and stories. You can use all the components from any Adventures game you may own like a toy box, you control the story!

4 Likes

Awesome Thankyou so much!:grinning:

1 Like

The Adventures System is a miniatures board game, while characters have attributes and stats they do not progress and level up like in DnD. Each battle is like playing through one of your favourite episodes of the Animated Series.

3 Likes

Some more questions I’ve thought of:

• What kind of format is the concept art presented in?

• How solid/durable are the miniatures?

• Were there any limitations on characters, abilities, etc. when creating campaigns?

1 Like

We are restricted by content that appeared in Batman The Animated Series, Batman The New Adventures, Mask of the Phantasm and Mystery of the Batwoman, however when creating content we need to take lots of things consideration, like if the character is a fan favourite, or if a character is solo needs additional henchman or mechanics created. I had to mustard up the strength to make some difficult choices as we cant make everyone, even though i was salty, I relished the opportunity to create the characters i did.

5 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

1 Like

To be honest I am blown away that so many people are excited to be part of a game I helped create. Its heartwarming seeing the positivity and excitement of the community. We haven’t had to come up with any new goals yet, but if we keep unlocking things like we are we may need to!

Making new miniatures takes a while, first we need to ask for approval to create the said character from WB, then we create reference art for the sculptor, and the sculptor creates a digital sculpture of the miniature. We then go back and forth with tweaks and modifications until we believe it’s just right, it then goes back to WB for approval. With licensed products there is always more time involved because of the approval process.

We always listen to feedback, by listening to the community it helps the final product be the best it can be.

5 Likes

Has there been any character in particular that needed WB’s approval more so than others, like have they been very specific about how a character was portrayed?

3 Likes

Stay tuned…

5 Likes

Whenever I create anything for the Adventures System I always do a deep dive on theme, what makes the character tick and how is the best way to represent it on the board. One of my favorites is Two-Face, he is tied to his coin before making most decisions. He has an out of control moment with one of his ability cards “Delivering Justice”. As long as Two-Face keeps flipping his scarred side he rolls an additional dice of damage. Each character (especially the villains) really has their own flavor Two-Face chance, Riddler superiority, Penguin henchman control, Scarecrow debuffs and fear.

4 Likes

Was the title Shadow of the bat based on the 2 part episode where Batgirl was first introduced? And how many episodes are in the first game board alone? Can you list the episode names please.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like
  1. If you pledge on KS all content will be delivered at the same time, while if you wait for retail SotB and the Arkham Expansion will both be available at the same time.
  2. Nothing to Fear was easily my favorite to design. So many great moments in that episode, the fire in the vault and the blimp fight always stick in my mind.
  3. You may need to Ketchup, Pack Rat has just been announced as the next stretch goal.
4 Likes

Heya @PigeonPete, I wanted to chime in and say thank you for joining us today, and congratulations on passing $1,000,000 for your Kickstarter! I just became the 501st backer at $125, I can’t wait to play :smiley:

Are there any 101 miniature painter tutorials you can recommend? I love a well-painted miniature, but I’m not so great at it- however, I feel like the nature of these animation-based designs could actually be a good start for me!
Thanks again :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Personally I would love to put a Kryptonian into the game, lets see if we can be like Plastic Man and reach those STREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETCH goals.

3 Likes

I’ve watched a couple of the videos of live gameplay that have been posted, and the constant seems to be tunneling in the door/alley. Is that common in the game testing, or just coincidence?

4 Likes

These puns :woman_facepalming: :rofl:

3 Likes
  1. Some of the concept art may be shared in the episode guide and rule book.
  2. The minis are a hard plastic, very durable. They are grey and ready for painting.
  3. The only limitations was the licenses i mentioned above and the biggest one “space”, only being able to fit in so many characters and episodes while still being able to do justice to the IP and treat it right.
3 Likes

Thanks, I’ve never bought a game with miniatures so one of my biggest fears was pieces breaking off

2 Likes

The BTNA characters for sure, we needed to go back to WB and put in some special requests.

Further to that I really wanted to put in some of the new characters (Deathstroke/Red Hood) that DC Direct has been doing with their animated series figure line but unfortunately it couldn’t happen.

3 Likes