Limited-Time New Comics on DCU This Week!

@HeavyDe Yes. I had downloaded Dark Knight Returns #3. When it went out of DCU, it still show as downloaded but had a little orange icon. When you click it, it says “book no longer available”.

1 Like

Its wonderful to have it at all, but it feel a bit like a double edged sword. I understand Limited release, but it makes more sense for movies to have a limited release, both as a rights issues, and you can only watch the same movies so many times. But will comics, and 80 years of comics, if you add more and keep them, your faithful fanbase will grow, not dwindle. I personal got the service for the comics. limited release if comics will defiantly be the make or break point for me, and I suspect a fair amount of DC fanbase.

1 Like

I don’t understand why comics need to be limited. Like I’d save the comic under a list for a character I created, then it would just disappear one day?

1 Like

Thanks Applejack for the update!

I’m gonna be real with you. I’m not at all a fan of “Limited Engagement” comics. I understand cycling out the finite amount of movies and tv that are available because that goes stale much quicker. But you can’t really apply the same logic to reading, especially when there is so much material you can add to the library w/o burning out readers. If you’re watching a movie or tv episode in one shot, it takes about the same time for everyone, but people read at different paces.

That being said, Identity Crisis is an emotionally taxing read for a lot of reasons. I enjoy it a fair amount but its definitely something I’d rather take my time with. Slapping a deadline on getting to read the series makes it feel like homework, which is really more stressful than the whole thing is worth, so someone like me is probably more likely just to skip it all together.

9 Likes

“Limited release” comics. Hmmm… this may be a 1 year only sub for me. I was hoping for something comparable to MU, so this may not be the service for me… in 15 months, we’ll see where we are at. Just wanted to provide my feedback on what will keep me as a customer, take it as you will. I would like to see a large catalog that continues to grow and stays around, not a small set of books, with major gaps and limited timed releases. I subbed for the comics. Thanks for your time!

10 Likes

Limited release. Small selection. I think i have more comics available on my bookshelf then there is here on this site. I definitely have more movies. I feel like i paid twice to see the same thing.

6 Likes

I definitely agree that this needs to have more depth and breadth and, yes, they need to all stick around. If this doesn’t change, I will have to see about continuing. Titans and Stargirl won’t be enough to keep me I don’t think. The TV, cartoons and movies are good, but I want the great catalog that DC brings to the table. If Marvel can do it, there is no reason DC cannot. I would also love to be able to import my large number of digital comics that I have already purchased

8 Likes

I was under the impression the app would have comics. Unfortunately it really doesn’t. I hope this improves otherwise I really can’t justify paying for a DC comics app.

10 Likes

I’m very eager to see what this snnouncement will be in October about the comics Library.

2 Likes

Basically a ditto here

These limited-time features like the Batman movies and these comics seem like something that would be offered for free to non-subscribers as a trial, or even just to drum up publicity and goodwill for the DC brand. They certainly don’t make me feel like a dues-paying member.

13 Likes

Why can’t you offer them permanently? Are they not just image files with some programming behind them? They’re all company-owned so there’s not any licensing problems.

16 Likes

Thank you for adding these issues, they are what brought me into comics and the issues I reread over and over again.

Btw they look awesome on my TV panel to panel.

Just wish it wasn’t limited

4 Likes

Thanks for putting them on here, but I’m not down with the limited time mess. I already own most of those books, but they’re safely stored away. You putting them on here saves me from having to dig out my collectibles and potentially damaging them. How about just putting more stuff on here permanently? Four weeks isn’t enough time to read it all, plus I’m in the middle of reading some other runs.
I get that you need to rotate out some offerings, kind of like Netflix does. How about having a widget on the main page telling us what’s going to rotate off and when, so we have a chance to read or view it?

14 Likes

I do echo others’ comments that the comics section should follow other subscription models, in particular something like Apple Music or Spotify Premium. You should be able to keep all issues in your library for as long as you remain a subscriber. Then, the limited time releases would take on a more exciting “use it or lose it” quality - if you don’t add them during the time period then you will miss out. Also, I second the idea that there should be some kind of indication as to when comics in the core library are going to be rotated out, so that we can prioritize our reading.

9 Likes

Can’t believe they suckered so many people to subscribe to a sampler service.

8 Likes

I have the Geoff John’s series up on my TV through my firestick right now, I don’t feel suckered at all, it’s actually awesome.

Now if I lose all the series and issues I have been reading on here, I won’t be happy.

3 Likes

Yea there is plenty of full archs on here but i do think they should all be full archs. But this app is awesome for just starting. I feel like 8 bucks worth watching Batman the ainmated series in HD. And reading some booster Gold and Birds of prey and Red robin.

Loving the service so far (exciting new content, community building shows and features, great older content, easy to use, only one app crash so far), but fully agree that there should be no limited-time content, tv/movies or comics. Dc should own all of this content and why not provide your subscribers with access to it? Isn’t that what we’re paying for? Also, the limited time is no where near long enough to actually read/watch the limited time content - your users are typically knee-deep in another series to finish first.

2 Likes