LGBTQIA+ Comics Fans

@HCQ, I have met people who say that there are infinite genders, which I believe is wrong. But does that mean we are be are not being inclusive when we only say LGBT?

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Letā€™s bring the topic back around to the original post, which is asking about characters in DC Comics. Thanks!

4 Likes

OK, back to representation in comics!

Is it just me, or does it sometimes feel like thereā€™s more representation in comics for queer women than queer men? Other than Apollo and Midnighter, there donā€™t seem to be many prominent gay or bisexual male characters in the DCU.

I think the decision to go in that direction with Jackson Hyde (Aqualad) is a good one, and I look forward to seeing how thatā€™s handled in his upcoming OGN.

5 Likes

There definitely is ā€“ I think queer women are typically more accepted in mass than men, by and large; partly because of the more gaze-y ā€œlesbians are hotā€ thing, and partly because itā€™s simply more acceptable for women to be fluid with their sexuality than men.

For a while they were making a push for Constantine to be a prominent figure as a bisexual male ā€“ his DCYou series was primarily about him finding a connection with a man, but the world that John inhabits makes it impossible for him to be able to keep that kind of happiness for long, in fear of them getting hurt. I get the feeling that Constnatine doesnā€™t quite have the legs to have long-running series, sadly.

2 Likes

Yes, gender is a spectrum, and like the rainbow, itā€™s possible to have infinite genders if one so chooses. Itā€™s all in how you identify.

@Jay_Kay Well, Hellblazer has run for 300 issues once before.

Iā€™m one of those strait men who get a bit ill when seeing a gay male couple kissing on-screen but get turned on by a lesbian couple kissing on screen. Iā€™m not homophobic when it comes to male couples though. I have a couple male gay best friends. Itā€™s just how my body reacts I guess, canā€™t control it, I was born that way lol

I wanted so bad for Batwoman and Supergirl to kiss at the end of Elseworlds!

1 Like

Hey all, just wanting to give a quick reminder to please stay on the threadā€™s original topic, touching on examples of LGBTQIA+ superheroes in DC stories, how your life experiences influence your favs and vice versa, etc. Thank you in advance - we appreciate it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had no clue Constantine identified as bisexual! Glad I read that. May have to try out any of his books finally. My favorite LGBT DC character was always Obsidian before he was pretty much erased from history.

5 Likes

I also want to point out that there is also this long-going thread here as well, so please feel free to check it out as well, since many queer peeps chimed in as well there and a bunch of queer characters were also pointed out: https://www.dcuniverse.com/community/boards/betaparticipants/lgbt-dc-fans

It seems like it may not be long before the JSA makes its way back into the mainstream comic canon. If so, I wonder if theyā€™ll maintain the reinterpretation of Alan Scott as a gay man? And what about Obsidian? Can he survive somehow as Alanā€™s son in a respectful way?

2 Likes

Weā€™ll see what the Stargirl show brings. Thatā€™s going to basically be the JSA show, right?

2 Likes

This is, yet again, a topic Iā€™m very late to. While this individual is not necessarily my best character of choice,

• I nominate Dr. Adam Strange, or atleast the one we were introduced to on ā€œKryptonā€.
  • Iā€™d like to see more gay men and women that are integrated into large bodies of people, such as an outstanding member of the JSA JLA.

this thread/topic is old enough to not include Dreamer from ā€œSupergirlā€. Happy LGBTQ+ comics reading.
EDIT: JSA should have been JLA

3 Likes

I have some facts to share with you that I think people of this thread might find interesting.

According to a study done by the Arizona Christian Universityā€¦

39% of millennials identify as LGBTQ

• itā€™s 3x that of adults in the older populations combined which means as of now millennials are the gayest generation in American history and by far.

Itā€™s now higher thanā€¦
The amount of millennials who believe in God (33.33%)
The amount of millennials who are proud to be an American (15%)

1 Like

@HCQ Iā€™m gay and I lie boys

@Jay_Kay I like stories with gay boys