Let's Talk About Elseworlds Returning In 2024

Titles include Batman the Barbarian, Batman: Nightfire, Gotham by Gaslight: The Kryptonian Age, Green Lantern: Dark, Dark Knights of Steel: Allwinter and DC vs. Vampires: World War V

Out-of-continuity stories have always been a pillar of DC publishing, granting creators the ability to explore all the wild corners of the DC Universe,” said DC Executive Editor Ben Abernathy. “We’re excited to bring a whole new slate of titles under the ELSEWORLDS banner in 2024, combining some all-new titles from top storytellers, as well as sequels from the current DC line that fit that same out-of-continuity aesthetic.

18 Likes
8 Likes

Some pretty interesting looking stuff! Hard to guage without having more of an idea what the books are about, but I’m definitely curious about all of them. :smiley:

6 Likes

They all sound awesome™:+1:

Especially the Deathstroke one. And Green Lantern Dark

4 Likes

This is awesome but I wish DC would stop giving Otto Schmidt work

7 Likes

Seems fun. I would prefer a little less Batman stuff, but he’s popular. Alternative versions of Jessica Cruz would rock.

6 Likes

I will read Green Lantern

5 Likes

Huh. I just always assumed that Black Label was the new Elseworlds

6 Likes

I love love love Elseworlds! Looking forward to this.

I have so many Batman Elseworlds from high school and college. Batman works really well in the Elseworlds concept. Simple origin story so the question is what would happen in this different time and place?

IMG_5803
(I don’t see a tiara, but I see bracelets and blood so yeah, I am down for this).

6 Likes

This is cool! Can’t wait

3 Likes

Oh, nice! I loved me all the Elseworlds Annuals and one-shots. Kind of wish we’d get new worlds for each one instead of revisiting past worlds, but I’m down for almost all of these, even though they’re part of the Multiverse now and “Elseworlds” seems an unnecessary tag.

3 Likes

Some of the in-continuity stuff they are doing with these characters should be thrown in the Elseworlds too…just saying.

3 Likes

From what I understand, Black Label is sort of a mix of Elseworlds, All-Star, and Vertigo.

Like, we see some alternate version of characters in Black Label, such as White Knight and such, but many of these books are also supposed to be considered the “big books by the biggest creators without adhearing to continuity,” such as Batman: Three Jokers or Batman: Damned. Some of the most acclaimed books have even been retroactively put in Black Label, like All-Star Superman, The New Frontier and Joker. We’ve even seen creator owned books put there ala Vertigo, such as The Nice House on the Lake, American Vampire and Fables.

5 Likes

Right. So…uf Black Label already does all that, brunging back Elseworlds just seems redundant at this point

2 Likes

I think they want to have the Elseworlds branding front and central to set up The Batman 2 and Joker 2 as Elseworlds movies.

1 Like

I mean…I guess? In the end I just really care if it’s good comics are not. The label on it, whether it’s capital L or lower-case l doesn’t matter that much to me.

I imagine if anything it’s more the other way around – the Elseworlds comics are capitalizing on the upcoming Elseworlds movies. That is, of course, presuming that they even get a separate Elseworlds moniker.

2 Likes

I kind of get the feeling that the Elseworlds brand is less in the spirit of legacy Elseworlds and more the spiritual successor of the Multiversity brand (Teen Justice and Harley Screws up the DCU). Essentially branching away from the story of Multiversity and just using it to tag stories that aren’t from the “common crossover” Earths (0, 2, 3, X).

I’m sure there will be overlap between Black Label and Elseworlds, but it seems like Elseworlds is building more continuity in each of these worlds; we’re continuing the stories from one-shots that were once simply “not in continuity.” While Black Label is explicitly not trying to do that, but tell a story and be done. (Save for the Murphyverse, which seems like it might be prime to jump to Elseworlds, though I think there’s an allure to the BL prestige format in that case…)

As @Jay_Kay and @chintzybeatnik have both commented, the marketing angle is certainly an effort to align more with the branding of the film universe. Makes sense for someone who sees an “Elseworlds” movie to be able to find an “Elseworlds” book when they walk into their first comic shop.

3 Likes

I’m not always a fan of his stuff, but Future State: Catwoman is incredible.

3 Likes

It’s not his art that’s the problem. I actually don’t mind his work that much but he is a truly awful person.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about that. Thanks for informing me.

3 Likes