Let's Talk About DC Versus Marvel And The Amalgam Age

Coming in August, DC and Marvel will unite to publish two Omnibuses: DC Versus Marvel Omnibus and DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus

DC Versus Marvel Omnibus collects Batman/Captain America #1, Batman/Daredevil #1, Batman/Punisher: Lake of Fire #1, Batman/Spider-Man #1, Daredevil/Batman #1, DC Special Series #27, Darkseid vs. Galactus: The Hunger #1, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances #1, Incredible Hulk vs. Superman #1, Marvel and DC Present Featuring the Uncanny X-Men and the New Teen Titans # 1, Marvel Treasury Edition #28, Punisher/Batman: Deadly Knights #1, Silver Surfer/Superman #1, Spider-Man and Batman #1, Superman vs. the Amazing Spider-Man #1, and Superman/Fantastic Four #1.

DC/Marvel: The Amalgam Age Omnibus collects DC Versus Marvel #1-4, DC/Marvel: All Access #1-4, Unlimited Access #1-4, Bat-Thing #1, Bruce Wayne: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1, Bullets and Bracelets #1, Challengers of the Fantastic #1, Doctor Strangefate #1, Iron Lantern #1, Legends of the Dark Claw #1, Lobo the Duck #1, Speed Demon #1, Spider-Boy #1, Super Soldier #1, Thorion of the New Asgods #1, X-Patrol #1, and more, plus a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes material.

This is some very exciting news, as it’ll be nice to see all of these stories collected together with bonus material as well. And does it open the door to have more crossovers? So much has changed since they stopped doing the crossovers. New Amalgam Books? New Amalgam characters? I’d love to see these things.

So, Let’s Talk About DC vs Marvel And the Amalgam Age…

8 Likes

DC vs Marvel Series 1 came out just a couple years after I became a DC nerd and probably were the first ‘Marvel’ comic books I owned.

I remember being upset at Robin for cheating on his girlfriend with Jubilee and seriously rolled my eyes at Wolverine beating Lobo (to be fair, nowadays I believe there couldn’t possibly be a winner in that fight without someone rolling their eyes).

Overall, though, I really enjoyed it.

To date it’s one of the coolest Spider-Man costumes I’ve seen but to be fair, I don’t read Marvel.

I really enjoyed the Access cameo in GL # 87. It was only for a page or so but I was hoping Access would show up more in DC titles. Spoiler: He didn’t lol

Also, Batman single-handedly rocking the lower tier X-Men in DC vs Marvel Series 2 will forever be one of my favorite comic memories.

5 Likes

So awesome to see more of these reprints! I’m especially interested in the DC vs. Marvel one and really hope we get pricing info soon. I definitely wanna get at least that and I’m just hoping these don’t turn out to be too ridiculously expensive :crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

I’m not the omnibus-type all that often, but I definitely do want the Amalgam Age omnibus, as the Amalgam books I’ve read are ridiculously fun and it’d be great to have the whole shebang in one book.

4 Likes

I thought they would never, so a few years ago I made my own:

And the other ones I have in 4 seperate TPB’s…so for my wallets sake, I’m gonna try and resist getting these. I’m glad they’re teaming up for this though, so I hope it sells out and they see the value of giving us more.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Oof. That’s definitely more than I was expecting, and the JRJR cover on the DC vs. Marvel one is also killing my hype for that one

2 Likes

Not surprised, as there are plenty of other omnibuses offered at that price.

Over the years, I’ve found that the key is to order from Amazon, In-stock Trades and/or other outlets that often offer higher-priced omnibuses at a significantly cheaper price.

2 Likes

Amazon does have them for pre-order for $138

3 Likes

Take a gander at the cover for the Amalgam omnibus:

Currently $131.87 at Amazon as of this writing and its their #1 bestseller among DC collections.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Dang this cover is interesting

3 Likes

It is! I’m a fan.

Also, Jim Lee is doing a direct market-only variant for the Amalgam omnibus:

As a Jim Lee mark, I really like it…but not at the expense of paying full price for the omnibus when, instead, I can save a reasonable amount of dough by getting the regular edition on Amazon and then taking said saved reasonable amount of dough to Yon Comic Shoppe afterward to pick up books that, like Amalgam at this point, aren’t yet in digital and may not be for a while.

5 Likes

I’m especially happy about Storm being on the cover of that too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dang I really want this

3 Likes

Heh-heh. She really puts the wind in your gusts, eh? :wink:

Have you read the Amalgam schtuff?

Or, is it new to you because of the omnibus?

3 Likes

Surprisingly, I haven’t. But I think I need to…

3 Likes

My fellow orphan from an alien world, Amalgam schtuff is good (JLX in particular).

3 Likes

Now this is a much better cover than the JRJR one, though it is frustrating that a lot of characters are missing. Still, it’s also better than only having 4 of them

3 Likes

I understand it but it’s still a bummer that it will be incomplete.

2 Likes

Love the artwork but where’s Sparrow? Can’t have Dark Claw without Sparrow!

2 Likes