Let’s Talk About Fire & Ice: Welcome To Smallville

The writer on twitter confirmed that the series was being developed before/at the same time as Human Target, so no connection. I’m a TAD bummed, but also I get that this is a comedy and Human Target is very much not that, so. :smiley:

But getting very excited to see this story hit!

4 Likes

That does sound like a bummer.

I don’t love everything about Human Target, but it would have been interesting to see some callbacks to the Tom King series. I would have loved to see Tora getting annoyed by Gardner and threatening him with peanut butter or beatriz gleefully joking about how when dating J’onn, his shapeshifting made things interesting.

Apologize for the bad jokes, I’m terrible with them. :joy:

1 Like

I would also love to see some connection between the two series, but I also think that it would be HARD. Tonal whiplash like woah. Similar to the meme line that’s making the rounds from the most recent issue of Spider-Man #31, where Peter makes a joke about the famous story where he helps a kid dying of cancer.

3 Likes

I love this variant cover. It looks like a classic Robert McGinnis book cover.

4 Likes

Well they just released the first five pages preview and now I’m a happy fan!

8 Likes

First issue is out! What do people think! I really love the art, and the characterizations are fun! I am a bit let down by the plotting - it feels like it doesn’t quite take Fire and Ice seriously as a comic. But hopefully it will build up to a major thing!

5 Likes

I just discovered this thread. Apparently, it’s been out for awhile. Coincidentally, I was formulating some questions for HCQ regarding the JV team .Harley & Ivy may have come later, but unfortunately have a higher profile. Anyway @raider_dave66 brought up Captain Cold and Heatwave. I was going to ask Q if they’d ever faced off against our gals. Anybody know? And when Keith Giffen and Maguire were doing JLInternational, I always thought about what a great double date night Fire & Ice might’ve had with Booster and Beetle. Don’t think we ever got that though. Although with my memory, I could be wrong. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, I think I’ll love the art too. I haven’t read the first issue yet but I’m excited for it.

I also picked it up today

4 Likes

They have! See the “Running Hot and Cold” story from Justice League Quarterly #2.

I don’t think you are wrong. Having read a lot of Giffen/DeMatteis Justice League, I can’t remember Fire & Ice ever having any thoughts toward Ted and Booster that could be construed as romantic. Ice was more into Guy Gardner then later (under Jurgens) developed a crush on Superman. Fire had a suggestive flirtation with Oberon and then (much later) and even more suggestive flirtation with Icemaiden. I think they thought of Beetle and Booster as knuckleheads. …Because they are. So, can’t recall any double dates there.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much the way I remember the ole JLI too. Thanks for the refresher. But while I got ya here, Here’s one for ya. Has any iteration of Ice ever gone up against Killer Frost? Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think so. Going through the different versions of Killer Frost: Crystal Frost was dead before Tora first appeared, Louise Lincoln didn’t tangle with the Justice League much until Dwayne McDuffie’s run which Ice wasn’t a part of, and Caitlin Snow has spent most of her publication history as a hero. I’d leave open the possibility that maybe its happened in an event book in a random panel or possibly in a cartoon (which I don’t watch much of), but I can’t remember it happening and didn’t find much evidence of their paths having crossed.

3 Likes

Great answer, and much appreciated. If you hadn’t come on as TheCosmicMoth, I’d have sworn this had come from HCQ. It’s that good. Very precise, informative and with enough wiggle room to expand into all-hands-on-deck events, and cartoons. Well done!

2 Likes

Question:
If Tora is so invested in living “the quiet life” and taking time off from Superheroing, why is she wearing her costume all the time?
I mean, she HAS other clothes doesn’t she?

5 Likes

Cause it’s super comfortable! Probably has super science or something!

2 Likes

She has other clothes and often wears them while dancing to Ice Ice Baby, by Vanilla Ice.

2 Likes

Thanks! And sorry for the late reply (my Internet went out for two days). Flattered with the HCQ comparison, but I don’t think I’m on the quiz master’s level. I just like research!

3 Likes

It was a fun first issue! Best part was undoubtedly the end:

FIRE: Wanna make a quick buck? I just need to kick your ass a little…and film it.

AMBUSH BUG: Lady, I’d pay YOU for that!

3 Likes

Sadly, I haven’t been able to read the second issue yet.

3 Likes

I love this book so much

3 Likes

What are your fave moments?

4 Likes