Let’s Talk About Anything DC

honestly me neither :laughing:
if someone would have told me a month ago that I was going to write a 600 word rant about how tim and bernard do not work as a couple, I would have thought they were out of their mind

6 Likes

This makes a lot of sense! You are a :sparkles:scholar :sparkles:

6 Likes

ty very much

4 Likes

I think DC is way more willing to represent more obscure and younger characters as LGBT, unfortunately. I think that’s why Wonder Woman’s bisexuality doesn’t really get shown the way Tim Drake’s does.

5 Likes

Part of it is she has a very well known relationship with Steve Trevor, and that often dominates her romantic stories. In addition many people ship her with Batman and Clark. That means she is often shipped with men.

7 Likes

Unfortunately true.

Does anyone remember the Justice League episode with princess Audrey? That episode was great, but it was also the episode with a lot of hints towards Wonder-woman having any implicit lesbain undertones.

I was thinking if princess Audrey isn’t canon in the comics already that someone should look into canonization of Audrey with Wonder-woman. I’m aware she is a teenager with beastboy in young justice, but obviously young justice is not canon to the main comics. It would be nice to see Wonder-woman bisexuality be actually shown instead of being just another label.

5 Likes

Great rant…
but are you ok? Do you have a fever?

5 Likes

I’m mean it’s pretty obvious isn’t it?

6 Likes

I could hear this without even pressing play

5 Likes

I’m fine? But also I am not? I don’t think I ship TimBer anymore? Which is weird?

5 Likes

oh hell yes I remember this episode- I absolutely ship them

4 Likes

guys this rant was a mistake, my view of the world is crumbling I cannot tell if at this point I only ship tim and bern because of the fact that i personally prefer bernard over kon
do tim and bern really work at all?
am I going insane?
i-
this makes me smile:

this makes me smile more:

and the more i look at the timkon art the less i care about the timber art

what the hell is going on my brain hurts

6 Likes

That’s honestly subjective.

I think as of writing this, they work better as a couple than I thought they did. For me, I don’t believe them to last long, but that doesn’t mean I hate them. Bernard is a cinnamon roll. Basically a sweet guy who doesn’t need to be complex.
I mean If I hadn’t made it clear before Tim Drake stands out more to me thanks to this new relationship. Other than being the smart detective. If anything it helps to have a prominent LGBT bat character. Batwoman, Renee Montoya Question, and bluebird haven’t made a big impact or development for LGBT fans for a long time. Tim Drake is the only one.

I get the passion around Tim Drake and Connor especially now that I’m getting into young justice comics. But I do think that Tim and Connor will be fine as a non-canonical relationship. For now.
Platonic love is something not really something that a lot of people appreciate, but I respect them immensely. Think of something like Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz, Helena Wayne and Powergirl and Batman and Zatanna. Just people who might be interested in each other but are just intimate friends, so it obviously goes Tim and Connor could or would follow a similar trend.
I would not say it’s not possible for any of those friendships to become something else because for a long time Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn were just intimate friends until they weren’t.

4 Likes

It’s definitely too close to say where this is going. That’s why I’m not posting it on favorite ships just yet, but I do hope that Vixen and Batwing continue as a couple in the future as seen in DC power: A Celebration.

These two are my personal favorite Black superheroes and giving them both the spotlight as a power couple would be amazing. Plus it’s a bonus for me as a Luke Fox fan. He has been pushed around long enough by DC to deserve some kind of win and this is most definitely a win.

4 Likes

You know I really love Tom King work on Human target. I’m increasingly fond of the JLI era and it was so interesting to see them back. Even if it’s missing Maxwell lord. while I’m largely indifferent to Christopher chance as a protagonist, I do think it was cool seeing Tom King work on a pulp action heroes as of late.

I’m really hoping he’s interested in doing a similar thing with characters like sergeant Rock, Blackhawk or King Faraday. Any of those would be great, but personally would love to see a series about the special agent King Faraday.

I just love that animosity he has towards vigilantism, mask heroes, along with his iconic white hair.

4 Likes

Ok so, the more I think about it, the more I have to say about all this.
Another reason I believe that Tim and Bernard wouldn’t work out long-term, or why Tim wouldn’t work long term with any civilian, is that Tim has issues. Tim has proven in several different stories that in the face of any disaster, Tim blames himself regardless of if it’s something he should be blamed for. Like most members of his family, he’s been through some crap, and each member of the Batfamily, in their own tragedies, copes and remembers in different ways. For Tim, I think that the older he gets, and the more he goes through, the more he’ll grow and be able to overcome the things he’s experienced since he was young. But he’ll never really be able to fully move on from the unnecessary guilt he’ll always feel because of the way he is. Tim wouldn’t be able to be in a long-term relationship with someone who’s never been a hero of some kind, because there’s no way they’d be able to understand how he felt, try as they may. For those reading this who’ve been reading Tim Drake: Robin, you’ll know that currently, Bernard is in the hands of the villain of the series, and in the most recently released issue last month, it showed Tim and a few other members of the Batfamily searching for Bern. It was clear Tim absolutely resented himself for allowing Bern to be caught, and that he was terrified for what would happen. Bern being caught wasn’t really his fault, but I doubt even if Tim and Bernard stayed together for ten more years Tim would be able to forgive himself for putting Bernard in harm’s way. In this situation, if it hadn’t been Bernard, but another hero that Tim was in a relationship that was taken hostage, of course Tim would be worried, but not as worried as he was, and not as furious with himself for letting it happen because unlike Bernard, they would have experience in those situations and have a better chance of being able to save themselves, or survive long enough to be saved.
Even though they did meet in highschool, Tim and Bernard really were not the closest of friends, and as of now, Bern still has yet to learn that Tim is Robin, so there isn’t a full sense of trust between them. That’s another reason that Kon is a thousand times better for Tim. Kon and Tim met when they were relatively young, and fought alongside each other in Young Justice and in several other situations. Kon knows Tim and the way he is. Tim knows and fully trusts Kon. They would work in a long term relationship because of the years they had as just friends. They grew up together, and could grow old together. Back to what I was saying earlier with Tim’s not so fabulous ways of responding to disaster- those are all things Kon’s witnessed, and when they’re older and can hopefully retire from hero work (because I can only pray Tim will give it up eventually to have a peaceful experience in his later life) I’m sure Tim’ll have some kind of PTSD and the lasting self-trust issues and the desire to push people away when things get hard. All stuff Kon’s witnessed and helped him through before. Unlike Bernard, who Tim still can’t even admit to that he’s Robin, and by being unable to tell him that, can’t begin to fully communicate why he is the way he is.
I would not be surprised if in the next issue of TD:R, Bern gets saved, and Tim then tries to push him away for putting him in danger, even though they’ll probably stay together. I think a Robin reveal is probably on the way, but who knows. It could be another 5 years. I honestly don’t want them to stay together, and would rather read about a sad, single Tim than a Tim who’s still with Bernard, in a relationship doomed to fail.
So at this point, I really have no faith in TimBer obviously, which kind of sucks, because previously I was obviously obsessed with them, and it sucks coming to the conclusion that they don’t work together. I’ll keep reading Tim Drake: Robin, and seeing how things play out with them there. I’ll probably still enjoy the happy moments with them, but maybe not, we’ll see. Maybe I was totally wrong, and theyre destined to be together. But I don’t see it. I said before that Tim and Kon were soulmates, but in the past few days I’ve come to believe that so much more.

4 Likes

not to be dramatic but in writing these rants and allowing myself to become critical of the relationship I once held dear I was digging my own grave and a part of my soul died when I stopped shipping TimBer
anywho look at this silly thing

4 Likes

W h o a r e y o u

5 Likes

Bookworm I don’t even know the answer to that anymore help

6 Likes

There is a lot of passion here.
I do like what you’ve wrote here though.

From reading a little bit of Tim Drake from Young Justice to trying to find Batman in Chip Zdarksy current Batman run, that Tim Drake is somewhat neurotic about the things out of his control. It what makes him so smart because he’s constantly trying to solve things, yet it’s also his biggest disadvantage as a person. I don’t if anyone remember this, but before he went on that date with Bernard, he actually had begun pushing away people like Stephanie Brown, Connor Kent, and others in the Bat-family because he wasn’t sure what he was going to do. Understanding his feelings is a lot harder for him because he’s always overthinking.

It’s why I sorta disagree on how James Tynion Detective Comics run wrote Tim because while he is smarter than Batman as a detective, I wouldn’t say he smart enough to figure out how to simply solve problems without making things complicated.

It’s somewhat confusing to describe, but I want to share two examples that involve Luke Fox. Both Tim and Luke are incredibly smart people, arguably the smartest people in the Bat-family. However, Luke has a advantage that Tim unfortunately doesn’t have and It’s down to problem-solving:

In Detective Comics #958 Luke and Azrael are at a Basketball game and Luke explains how he enjoys playing his own game at the court where he focuses on how the players sort themselves during the game and how he knows who might score simply on it. However, the game aspect for him is the Human error. People aren’t machines, so he knows that the math will always be flawed and not necessarily work, but that’s why it’s fun.
Screenshot_20230225_170057_Infinite
Screenshot_20230225_170124_Infinite

In the webtoon series Batman Family Adventures #39. Luke, Duke, and Tim are having a conversation on how to properly hide the double life of a superhero with their normal one. Luke offers a simple pragmatic reason on how to hide certain things like bruises when they go on patrol. Luke hides it by doing MMA sports. Meanwhile, Tim Drake has a overlying complex and unnecessary way to hide that problem. Tim thinks it’s easier to spend a year in fake physical therapy to hide those suspicions from people.

My point is that Luke solves the problem in a traditional sense while Tim attempts to figure out a problem in a deeper more irrational sense. Understanding that Tim is still a super-smart young man, but I will be careful to say genius because he still has plenty of things he fails to grasp by focusing on complicating mysteries he loves to solve. I won’t say it’s a detriment because that’s his personality. It’s who Tim Drake is. A exceptional person like him will need somebody to keep him grounded and it’s why he’s a good superhero.

4 Likes