Let’s Talk About Anything DC

Ok so, the more I think about it, the more I have to say about all this.
Another reason I believe that Tim and Bernard wouldn’t work out long-term, or why Tim wouldn’t work long term with any civilian, is that Tim has issues. Tim has proven in several different stories that in the face of any disaster, Tim blames himself regardless of if it’s something he should be blamed for. Like most members of his family, he’s been through some crap, and each member of the Batfamily, in their own tragedies, copes and remembers in different ways. For Tim, I think that the older he gets, and the more he goes through, the more he’ll grow and be able to overcome the things he’s experienced since he was young. But he’ll never really be able to fully move on from the unnecessary guilt he’ll always feel because of the way he is. Tim wouldn’t be able to be in a long-term relationship with someone who’s never been a hero of some kind, because there’s no way they’d be able to understand how he felt, try as they may. For those reading this who’ve been reading Tim Drake: Robin, you’ll know that currently, Bernard is in the hands of the villain of the series, and in the most recently released issue last month, it showed Tim and a few other members of the Batfamily searching for Bern. It was clear Tim absolutely resented himself for allowing Bern to be caught, and that he was terrified for what would happen. Bern being caught wasn’t really his fault, but I doubt even if Tim and Bernard stayed together for ten more years Tim would be able to forgive himself for putting Bernard in harm’s way. In this situation, if it hadn’t been Bernard, but another hero that Tim was in a relationship that was taken hostage, of course Tim would be worried, but not as worried as he was, and not as furious with himself for letting it happen because unlike Bernard, they would have experience in those situations and have a better chance of being able to save themselves, or survive long enough to be saved.
Even though they did meet in highschool, Tim and Bernard really were not the closest of friends, and as of now, Bern still has yet to learn that Tim is Robin, so there isn’t a full sense of trust between them. That’s another reason that Kon is a thousand times better for Tim. Kon and Tim met when they were relatively young, and fought alongside each other in Young Justice and in several other situations. Kon knows Tim and the way he is. Tim knows and fully trusts Kon. They would work in a long term relationship because of the years they had as just friends. They grew up together, and could grow old together. Back to what I was saying earlier with Tim’s not so fabulous ways of responding to disaster- those are all things Kon’s witnessed, and when they’re older and can hopefully retire from hero work (because I can only pray Tim will give it up eventually to have a peaceful experience in his later life) I’m sure Tim’ll have some kind of PTSD and the lasting self-trust issues and the desire to push people away when things get hard. All stuff Kon’s witnessed and helped him through before. Unlike Bernard, who Tim still can’t even admit to that he’s Robin, and by being unable to tell him that, can’t begin to fully communicate why he is the way he is.
I would not be surprised if in the next issue of TD:R, Bern gets saved, and Tim then tries to push him away for putting him in danger, even though they’ll probably stay together. I think a Robin reveal is probably on the way, but who knows. It could be another 5 years. I honestly don’t want them to stay together, and would rather read about a sad, single Tim than a Tim who’s still with Bernard, in a relationship doomed to fail.
So at this point, I really have no faith in TimBer obviously, which kind of sucks, because previously I was obviously obsessed with them, and it sucks coming to the conclusion that they don’t work together. I’ll keep reading Tim Drake: Robin, and seeing how things play out with them there. I’ll probably still enjoy the happy moments with them, but maybe not, we’ll see. Maybe I was totally wrong, and theyre destined to be together. But I don’t see it. I said before that Tim and Kon were soulmates, but in the past few days I’ve come to believe that so much more.

4 Likes