Let’s Talk About Anything DC

Ok I have a serious DC rant to get off my chest.
What the hell was DC doing in 2021, deciding to make a Robin bi, and a Superboy bi, but then making those two be Tim and Jon. Tim, I 100% understand. But why Jon? Why did it have to be Jon? Don’t get me wrong, him and Jay in Son of Kal-El was really cute, and I appreciated them together there, but in the months since its final issue, I’ve realized I don’t really miss seeing them together that much. When I want to revisit Jon, I go to the Supersons comics. I feel like a lot of fans at this point wonder why it wasn’t Tim and Kon to come out. Them coming out would have made the most sense. They could then eventually get together, and I’m sure a huge amount of people would have been happy with a finally canon TimKon, and the people against it would have said the same crap they say now about Tim and Bernard probably. Speaking of Tim and Bernard, them together just makes far less sense than Tim and Kon would have. I adore Tim and Bernard together, but I can also recognize some of the criticism towards their relationship when people say that their romance came out of nowhere and that Bern and Tim never had any chemistry before Urban Legends. (Though I personally think that they had tension back in the 2000s when Bernard was introduced, but more from a Bernard-liked-Tim-and-Tim-didn’t-see-that standpoint) Tim and Kon on the other hand, have just always felt like they should be a couple, especially in Young Justice 98. In every comic featuring them since then, they’ve pretty much always seemed like they were meant to be. I mean hell- when Kon died, Tim freaking snapped and tried to clone him and there was the whole mess with all that. Tim and Bernard are written specifically to have chemistry and be seen as a great couple. Tim and Kon always just have that chemistry, even if they aren’t written to be a couple. With all this said, I still appreciate Tim and Bern together, and I’ll continue to ship it and read the comics and all that. But the more I read with Tim and Kon in it, the more I just can’t help but wonder why it was decided to have Bern come out. Why he and Tim ended up together. My love for TimBer definitely comes from a place of the fact that I kin Tim, and Bernard is just who I would rather be with as opposed to Kon, but that doesn’t mean that Tim would feel the same, really.
Jon Kent never should have gotten aged up. DC should have let him remain a kid, and going on Supersons adventures with Damian. He shouldn’t have come out as bi- that should have been Kon. Kon could have been the one to take over as Superman, and gotten the solo series instead of there being Son of Kal-El. This would have made so much more sense. A lot of people who hate TimBer hate it because they wildly prefer TimKon. A lot of people who dislike the fact that Jon got aged up was because they miss how it was with the Supersons, or they think Kon was more deserving of getting his time in the spotlight.
All these thoughts have been bouncing around in my skull for a week or two now, but the reason I ended up writing this today was because I saw this fanart, a remake of the cover for the Tim Drake Pride Special

And as much as I adore the original, seeing Kon replacing Bern just makes a million times more sense. Tim and Bernard really were not meant to be. Tim and Kon were though.

I know I did not even begin to discuss any of Tim or Kon’s other love interests and why they make less sense than TimKon, because if I did, this would be probably 2x as long and this is already far too much to write about a couple of ships.
That’s all, goodbye.

6 Likes