Let’s Talk About 85 Years Of Batman

Celebrating 85 years since Bob Kane and Bill Finger created the character for Detective Comics #27.

So let’s talk about the anniversary logo and 85 years of Batman……

17 Likes

I’ve made it no secret that I have become critical of several aspects of Batman in recent years. But outting that aside, this is an iconic character for very good reasons. As a Horror fan, I love the dark Gothic aesthetic that can be found in so many stories. A lot of the villains and other misc characters that have sprung up in his mythology have become just as popular and well known. It’s not that I’ve become a hater. I’m just looking forward to this character and his legacy evolving in the future.

13 Likes

85 years of greatness and insane versatility.

18 Likes

happy 85 years old man

15 Likes

In 92 mins, it’ll be one week away!

13 Likes

might be a hot take but i think batman is pretty cool

13 Likes

golden age batman by dave bullock:

12 Likes

Batman was the character who introduced me to comics by way of Batman '66. The earliest Batman stories I remember reading were the classics by Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams (inherited from our neighbors). Batman is still my favorite superhero, even if I might not like the way he has sometimes been handled of late. :thumbs_up_batman: :batman:

9 Likes

Edited for optimal accuracy.

11 Likes

I cannot argue.

11 Likes

Sweet I have been looking forward to this.

10 Likes

I’m looking forward to September even more as thats when the birthday comics come out I love those.

9 Likes

Wait, so Detective Comics #27 was released in March? Why has everybody I’ve asked told me May??

8 Likes

It had a cover date of May 1939, but it was published on March 30. In those days and well into my lifetime, comic books hit the newsstands well ahead of their cover date. For example, a comic book with a cover date of February would actually come out in December.

8 Likes

Oh okay. Thank you! I know it’s something that’s not confusing for many, but it was for me :laughing:

I appreciate it

8 Likes

You’re welcome! It confused me as a kid. I’d be looking through comic books on the rack at the grocery store and always was wondering, “Why is the cover date June when it’s only April?!”

9 Likes

I love this anniversary logo - it’s very simple and clean :ok_hand:

7 Likes

It stems from the newsstand era where the cover date really translates to the “expiration” date for when they should stop selling it.

6 Likes

Good to know. Thanks :+1:

5 Likes

Happy DCUniversary @chintzybeatnik!

6 Likes