Legion of Super-Heroes Club: Weekly Reader for May 15th 2019

Now I’m going to turn the new selection for the week and for the next 3 weeks to our new Chairperson of the Legion Vlub. Vroom will be making the new post around 1 p.m. Eastern time tomorrow, Wednesday.

Thanks again, Vroom, for assuming this role for the next 3 weekly selections!!!

1 Like

I’m actually almost on time with this one! Hooray!

“1) How are these stories different from our first reading selection of the very first Legion stories that were written 5 to 7 years prior?”

The big difference I see is definitely a focus on action. The first stories we read for the club (and I read overall) were more focused on hijinks, pranks, comedy of errors, that kind of thing. This reminded me more of the pulps and sci-fi comic strips ala Flash Gordon.

“2) In what ways do you feel these three issues from 1965 set the tone and feel of the Legion for decades to come?”

The way the characters split up and interact with each other is a big takeaway – I think that definitely is the building blocks for what Levitz and Giffen would later do with the Legion Roster.

“3) What do you like about this version of the Legion?”

This might sound bad, but I like how kind of ridiculous and dumb it can be, in the funniest way.

Like… “How could you have betrayed the Legion, NEMESIS Kid?!” That’s right up there with “what a fine, upstanding Green Lantern that SINESTRO is! There’s no way he’s going to betray the Corps and go all Space Hitler on the galaxy! No siree!” I kind of enjoy this in the same way I like Mystery Science 3000…and the fact that this stuff does build up to a stronger, better written Legion down the road makes it all the better.

“4) What do you prefer about the more modern stories of the Legion of Super-Heroes?”

Uh…better art? Stronger stories? Characters that actually have different personalities? I feel like I’m being too harsh, because there is some good stuff here, but I think the other writers build off of that and kind of…not so much ignore or never do that kind of story again (because Legion of Substitute Heroes is basically that MST3K style of story but actually intended to be so), but take the premise and just…does it better.

“5) Are you a Jim Shooter fan? Why or why not?”

You could look at my answers and assume that I’m not the biggest fan of Jim Shooter, and…you would be right. Like, from what I’ve seen, he was a strong enough editor for Marvel back in his day (he made some blunders, but what EIC doesn’t? Hell, look at Didio), but in terms of writing, I don’t think he evolved much past his initial writing at 13. Like, I do not get the love for Secret Wars at all.

1. Bonus question: what do you love about the Legion of Substitute Heroes?

I mean, I’ll be honest…for as much as I would like to think if I had powers I could be on the “real” superhero teams, like the Justice League or the Legion, I know that I’m total Sub material. And that’s not inherently a bad thing – they have none of the advantages, none of the fame and prestige, none of the respect and care, but they push on, do their best, and try to make themselves worthy, and I think that’s admirable, and what makes them work.

1 Like

Jay_Kay it is interesting that some of us Legion Club members are also Mystery Science Theater 3000 fans too! As I mention elsewhere, I am very happy to see the 1958 Lois Lane here too now for Camp enjoyment sake.

Great to have you reading with us on this 2 year mission!

Uh…who said anything about two years? :open_mouth:

Seriously, thanks – I was kind of worried that I was going too negative on these past few picks.

1 Like

All part of the fun!

I don’t love everything in the other book club either, and I’m not really shy about expressing my opinion and why I feel the way I do either way , but I do love participating where I can.

Unlike other streaming services I dole out cash monthly for and then don’t watch months at a time, these communities and clubs spur me on to get my money’s worth and to greatly enjoy the service!

1 Like

Everyone stood in a line waiting for the new Legion Weekly Reading selection for May 22nd…

1 Like