Legion of Super-Heroes Club: Weekly Reader for May 15th 2019

I read all three issues. My favorite parts were in issue #346.

The Projection scene from Princess Projectra was awesome! After the scene, her name made a lot of sense. Also, I like her outfit.

2 Likes

I loved the Superboy vs. Karate Kid scene too in issue #346.

2 Likes

Finished #346.

1. How are these different from the previous reads? Tonally, it felt about the same. To me the only notable difference was the longer length.

2. Setting the tone for Legion stories… I’d say the aspects of teamwork and comradery. I’d like to have a more articulate answer, but that’s just what stands out to me at the moment.

Onto #347! Pulsating Planets, Sizzling Satellites and a traitor in their midst! Oh my!

1 Like

1. What I like most about this iteration of the Legion…it might sound weird, but I dig how quaint it is. Just a group of teens kicking butt and being heroes. What kid (and kid at heart) can’t identify with that?

No gigantic, intergalactic temporal crises or decimation of the Legion or anything, it’s just simple fun.

It’s a pity that Filmation never did anything with the Legion for a TV show. I imagined their stable of actors along with their music and sound effects as I read this issue. Why, Ted Knight narrated too!

1. Modern Legion preferences. While I enjoy these stories for how quaint they are, I do like that the modern stories generally take on bigger stakes. That’s only natural as the Legion evolved of course (and that’s true for every longstanding DC franchise really). It’s fun seeing the characters grow.

I will say I vastly prefer the later versions of the Khunds, where they look like aliens and aren’t human looking fellers in gold hats/helmets.

That’s not a knock on their appearance here though. They’re fine for the story. Its just that at some point, some artist wisely changed them to look alien.

Onto #348! Tally ho!

1 Like

That was fun. Standard villain sitting at a console and attacking our heroes stuff, but drawn well and entertaining. Did Dr. Regulus return to face the Legion later on?

Question 5: Jim Shooter fan? Yes! I came to know him from Secret Wars when I was a kid. I’ve enjoyed his Legion work, especially (as I’ve mentioned before) his portion of the '05-'09 Legion book (issues 37-50 for anyone looking to read it).

Onto the Legion o’ Substitute Heroes!

1 Like

Question 5B: What do you love about the Subs?

The fun of it all. They can be silly but they deal with some serious things here and there. It’s a neat idea. Good ol’ Levitz and Giffen.

All hail our conquering hero, Stone Boy!

These were solid reads DE! Thanks for picking them =)

1 Like

JL, I’m glad you enjoyed this visit to the 1966 Legion!

I agree, that fight scene between Karate Kid and Superboy was thought-provoking. It would be interesting to see a writer today explore the importance of being a highly-trained fighter when facing Superman (or current Superboy Connor)…well, other than Deathstroke where that is the entire point of his threat…

I occasionally deal with vertigo due to allergies, so I also TOTALLY bought into Princess Projectra. At my son’s graduation yesterday, I noticed a fairly young woman with similar white hair, and it had a similar effect of making her seem maybe wiser (yeah, GoT lol)…

2 Likes

Congratulations to you and your son, Don-El!

1 Like

Vroom, nice insights! I also like the lack of universe-shattering crises here (I’ll take a spell checker add on for Android with that Community 2.0 order to go please…)…

Shooter fan, eh? More often than not, me too.! His brain is on fire when it comes to futurist vision …a great example beyond his Legion writing is the 1991 Magnus Robot Fighter #0-12 by Valiant!

1 Like

Thanks Bif_Pow

I wonder if Jim Shooter ever does finger pistols. Given his last name and such.

In 2015, I was vacationing in Colorado and at Mile High Comics for Free Comic Book Day. Shooter was their VIP guest. I didn’t meet him, but I saw him from afar while waiting in line for the free comics line to progress.

1 Like

Forget about Mr. Shooter…? let’s talk about your visit at Mile High Comics in Colorado (thus the name)

Is that the biggest store you’ve ever been to for comics??

1 Like

You know, it might be.

I was visiting CO in 2006 and their main store was in a different locale then. That place was easily the biggest comic store I’d been in up to that point.

The one in 2015 seemed a bit smaller but was still a Costco warehouse compared to other stores I’ve been to.

1 Like

I have not been to Colorado, but Mile High Comics might be worth a week’s vacation to explore!

I plan to finish the other Legion comics tomorrow, just before the mystery new Presiding Legion Club Chairperson takes over the reins!!!

1 Like

Yep, that’s the one I was at in 2015. It’s pretty FBA.

1 Like

DE, now that I’ve reflected on it, I’m pretty sure the Mile High I was at in '15 was substantially bigger than the store I was at in '06.

Beautiful store to get lost in.

Adventure #347

“The Traitor’s Triumph”

One of my favorite scenes is the panel I’m going to attach here where you see several of the Legion members of that time in action at once.

and even though it makes no sense at all a thousand years in the future to see someone running around with a metal arm, especially someone with electrical powers because they lost their arm for a while, I find it to ge a very compelling image when you see Lightning Lad over that particular decade in a battle with an artificial arm!

One more thought concerning this issue 347, it was very inspirational to see Ferro Lad’s first time in battle …in mid-air, putting himself into a ball and hurling himself at a ship when he’s never done it before and not knowing if he could even pull it off and stay alive. Karate Kid has a similar scene where he jumps with abandoned towards one of the enemy ships as a way of surviving, breaks in, subdues them and then has them land the ship.

Quite the contrast to the Nemesis Kid that was the traitor and was just in it because he was going to be getting a big reward for helping the invaders!

1 Like

Adventure 348 “Target:21 Legionnaires”

Again kind of fun to see the Legion in action with that charity show. Also an intriguing villain that we don’t find out until the end of the connection between him and Sun Boy.

The story makes you start to realize just how intense Sun Boy’s powers may be (along with the scene at the charity where only Superboy can carry Sun Boy when he faints because of the radiation and heat).

I would give these three stories and overall rating of 8.5 out of 10. The main reason they’re included here is because of the history being important not to mention the importance of what it shows us about life in the sixties from the way it was written. One of 13 years okd Master Shooter’s downfalls I feel in these stories is he seems to always let the villains escape.

In later stories Master Shooter’s stories get better and better for the Legion. We will definitely be visiting this particular era again in the months to come.