[Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

@capo-manger, I think you are hitting the exact nail on the head about the Legion and why its been all over the place the last 20 years.

Is it a Teenage Superhero story (like, say, Invincible, from another publisher)?
Is it a YA story with superpowers in the future?
Is it an adult future superhero story?

And most of all - WHO IS THE AUDIENCE WE ARE WRITING FOR? If its two audiences, how do we thread the needle?

Once DC can get an author that cares about the title AND can answer the above, LSH will be a massive hit again.

4 Likes

I gotta say I agree with literally all of that. Reading as a kid it was a comic about teens rebelling against the older generation refusing to accept change. Dealing with same problems as irl, racism, generational gaps that divide etc.- Reading as an adult I realized they’re actually addressing pretty serious, adult themed issues. I didn’t really pick up on those subtleties as a child, they were, I was gonna say over my head. But, it’s more that I just didn’t have enough life experience yet to realize when they were doing issues on say, Rimbor refusing to join the United Planets. They were referencing racial issues etc. Rimbor was just the 1st planet that popped into my head. I just needed a name more than an example. So I wasn’t using it as an actual incident from LOSH…

4 Likes

Saturday

I’m tempted to request that Saturday be “Ultra Boy” day because he’s one of my favorite concept Legion members with that freaky only one power a time dilemma, however there’s only so many days in the week LOL. How about once a month on Saturday is Ultra Boy Day?

I know let’s be like the Legion and put it to a vote to be fair:

• Let’s make one Saturday a month Ultra Boy Day
  • No way, are you crazy? That’s my least favorite Legion character!!!

0 voters

3 Likes

@Don-El I think it needs to depend on which version we are talking about. If we are clear about Ultra Boy classic, I think that’s fine.

I was not a fan of the co-dependent Reboot Ultra Boy or the Threeboot d-bag one, to be honest. And the latest one is VASTLY different from ANY of them! :smiley:

4 Likes

I do miss the red and green theme

2 Likes

Not my least favorite [Ultra Boy] , but also not worth a weekly Day of Devotion!

5 Likes

The latest U-Boy seems fairly “Emo”.

5 Likes

Which begs the question, in your opinion, which Legionnaire would be worthy of one day a month featured here.

4 Likes

Dunno … … … But there are over 50 Legionnaires from different versions and only seven days of the week

Choose wisely Grasshopper!

3 Likes

30 days a month, only use one day a month right?

So no one favorite, correct?

2 Likes

5 Likes

I was just reading this one earlier this week in Showcase Presents, then a summary of this tale showed up today in one of the Who’s Who in the Legion that came in the mail today! I was sure this would be Superboy and Supergirl in disguise!

3 Likes

Sunday
The Three Stooges would be proud! Going for the Eye Poke!

4 Likes

I loved this story! Star Boy and Dream Girl were Back! Matter-Eater Lad was restored to his proper size! Lightning Lad’s Arm was restored! Bouncing Boy got his bounce back, the White witch was returned to her beautiful self, and we got Superboy & Supergirl Back in the membership thanks to Color Kid!

4 Likes

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/dc-comics-presents-superboy-s-legion-2011-1/0d249a5e-608e-4aa1-991a-25103e44f927/

I’ve always watched with wonder as the two major comic book publishers allow Alan Davis to come in and do these unique versions of groups that deviate from the norm so much, writer / artist, over and over and over. In this case I see he only drew it though.

I do like how young this makes Superboy look. Of course what’s crazy is Superboy’s been erased from DC continuity and now we have Superman’s son joining the Legion.

6 Likes

Memorial Day

5 Likes

Yep soldiers of the future laying down their lives.

I don’t recognize the two in the background, would that be Proty I and II lol?

5 Likes

Maybe one of them is everyone’s
Favorite Legionnaire

4 Likes

Dialogue here sounds like the debate we have in the club over that character

4 Likes

Indeed. I’ve been re-reading the latter half of the “retro-boot” and been enjoying it quite a bit, including the Earth Man bits.

Will still never agree with the Tasmia stuff. Change my mind LOL

4 Likes