[Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

My favorite Sub is Color Kid. If you’re Superboy or Supergirl, he should be your best friend and get to hang out with you all the time.

6 Likes

Strangely I was just reviewing that story this week, hard to forget that one with the Kryptonite trick lol.

4 Likes

That was an actual panel from the comics on this site.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s a ok

4 Likes

The artists make that decision. Siegel & Shuster made Superman a musclebound stud b/c in their words “ why would we wanna read a Comic about someone that looks like us”. Comics are fantasy based. I don’t have fantasies about average people doing average things. Secondly, if I would’ve posted a pic of Supes with no shirt, would we be having so many- that’s exploitation & unnecessary/ unreasonable expectations of what a human being looks like comments? I’m guessing no. Women are plenty capable of handling their images as much as men. Women just don’t feel the need to “protect “ men b/c it’s insulting to think that women are so fragile that they can’t bare to see…another woman’s body? I’m completely on the opposite side of this discussion. To each his own. My own is that there’s way bigger problems in the world than the tastefulness of an imaginary characters body. I got WAY bigger issues to deal with. This wasn’t directed at u @Don-El. I just happened to attach it from yours cuz I was continuing from the point made & yours just happened to be the last one discussing it.

4 Likes

You make some valid points, lots to think about here. Thanks @capo-manger

4 Likes

Absolutely. Thank you for keeping everything above the belt & a healthy debate instead of pick a side & refuse to see it from another angle.

4 Likes

I would have to be blind with both eyes not to see that a huge chunk of Legion comics are absolutely what would be considered fantasy female body artwork, where almost every superheroine’s costume looks like a swimsuit built for the equator, so there is definitely room for everybody on this boat.

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I I understand just like marketing executives sex sells but there’s gotta be a balance or it’s smut not reading. It’s not solely b/c she’s going shirt off. Her hair is rarely that color & style. The way her face is drawn is my favorite iteration of her, out of costume at least.

4 Likes

I was just reading some of Giffin’s run in the early 90s, that Five years Later thing, where he deliberately draws everybody a little chunky and older and it’s tough to read.

4 Likes

ouch

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: oh man that panel captured your sentiments exactly.

3 Likes

Most adolescent Boys don’t mind a little smut. I suppose it all depends on the demographic, … … … Oh - and it’s not just the boys, I suppose!

3 Likes

I’m completely on the uncensored side of the fence. Normalize taboos & I know it’s a super cliche. But, it is weird how people can be offended by other people showing too much of their body. We’re all the same species. That’s just strictly my view as far as adult content but I don’t judge. If it offends u I’ll just move on & eventually end up with either like minded individuals. Or, individuals that disagree but aren’t offended…not speaking that to u. Just adding on to your thoughts which I agree with.

4 Likes

The fan base has moved along from Little kids (mostly) in the silver age and the days of the comics code. Most people buying comics now are adults and the writers try to keep that in mind without hurting the brand. Most want to push the envelope in some way but whoever designed us gave us these silly consciences. It really can be quite a mess at times!

3 Likes

Yep, in that run, Ayla and Vi were literally running around naked on Winath (among other things), but the art style wasn’t as “provocative” - yet I think to the editors the fact that it was the two of them prevented those kinds of relationships in the post-ZH version.

3 Likes

Yeah, sometimes I vacillate between wanting to be mad at the editors and feeling sorry for them, especially regarding Legion. It may be one of the most thankless jobs in comics.

3 Likes

Haha! Yes! Oh you can’t change the relationships … … … This one dates that one, that one dates this one, those two are married — etc…
Letters to editor - How could you change all their costumes, codenames … … …
Another Letter to the editor - How come you never do anything different???!!!

4 Likes

That’s crazy I made that exact same point almost verbatim when I first joined this site. People were complaining about Titans being too mature & I said what u did, about comics in general. That the kids they used to sell to are now adults & their still fans. Plus, even as a kid, when they were supposedly for kids. The reading was way too advanced for the demographic most people thought was their base. They were writing for adults even than whether it was purposeful or not?

4 Likes

OMG, I’ve spent a chunk of time kinda mad at M. McAvennie about some of his choices in the second half of the reboot, but at the end of the day, the guys trying to do his job as best he can.

I definitely may not agree with the decisions, but I can’t be mad about them.

3 Likes