[Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

Panels like this one were why so many of us Legion Fans in the 60’s called her “The Ice Queen”

3 Likes

The path to being a Sub, often began with rejection !!

3 Likes

It’s nice to know there will be radio again in the 31st century

2 Likes

Amazing! Antenna Boy is all over the place in Legion stories!

2 Likes

Saturday

Our time hopping Legionnaires sure end up in the oddest comic book series…

2 Likes

She was feelin’ Blue, all split in two

4 Likes

…from L.E.G.I.O.N. I did read it when it came out I believe, but I don’t recall Ultra Boy being there from the future.

3 Likes

Just back from a shortish’ break. Awesome stuff everyone!!! & ty @JimboFett for the bday wishes. Sorry so late on the ty. I took my break the day u posted it & I forgot to thank you b4 I took a mental vacation.

4 Likes

Wednesday

Phantom Girl was around before Space Ghost, right?

4 Likes

I love both lol. Phantom Girl is one of my favorite female characters period tho & yes, with absolutely 0 research, I’m thinking she had to be? I know u are poking fun but I had to think about it for a sec. Casper has been around a while, but PG gotta have Space Ghost beat…I think…? Oh Google, how I love not using u haha :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I do like the Superboy and Phantom Girl dynamic.

4 Likes

Friday

I cut off part of it like they used to do to comics when I was growing up that shops were going to reject and return to the distributor, so this isn’t REALLY a cover, see?

It’s the Legion
Whoa whoa whoa whoa
Of Substitute Heroes
Whoa whoa whoa whoa
Circa 1987
Whoa whoa whoa whoa

With the Comet Queen
Nothing can go wrong

4 Likes

An interesting article containing info, we have discussed before, I believe.

4 Likes

Interesting essay. Given Levitz’s mastery of canonical details, I’m really surprised that he never referenced this again. Since it was such a one off, I tend to ignore this completely.

I think I’ve also gone on record to say that aging the Legionnaires as they did was not a good move, as it forces a Legion of teenagers into a totally different concept. I mean I understand WHY they did it - and honestly, the fact that the book was so successful in the 80s was probably due to the fact that the characters were older, more sophisticated, etc. But they seemed to be very keen on keeping everything EXACTLY 1000 years out (1986 == 2986, for example) which makes character aging inevitable, yet stories across multiple issues would only take days, which leaves a ton of time between stories.

I know I’m probably overthinking this. :slight_smile: But I think it makes more sense for the Legion to just stay vaguely in the 30th/31st century w/o pegging a year and freezing the characters in their late teens versus making them early 20-somethings or worse, 30-somethings.

4 Likes

I would agree with that, although I do have to admit, I do like to see my legionnaires grow up as well. I guess, I want my cake and to eat it too.

4 Likes

I agree using the exact year was just a silly concept, just give a 30th century and we all are happy.

It’s an interesting question about what age to make the Legion. In a way that’s part of the treasure but also the challenge of a series that has run over six decades.

Most everyone agrees that the Levitz-Giffen 1980s run is perhaps the pinnacle of all Legion, although it may have to do with the fancy Baxter paper / Vivid colors it was printed on…

But there’s something really entertaining about the very early Legion that was barely out of high school if that.

And nothing says drama like the middle-aged Legion just before Final Crisis in I believe Superman by Geoff Johns beyond even just having kids at that point I think.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ll agree - It’s fine to age, but not too fast.

Adult Legion stories can all be Elseworlds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I very much agree that the Baxter edition seemed to have the most resonant characters - I don’t know if it was because they were still young adults (say around 25 or so) and very much in their prime that really made everything in the stories click - which had a lot to do with Levitz’s writing and characterization.

I’m actually about midway through that version of the Legion right now.

3 Likes

Hi! Over in the fan art club we are having a Beatles Album cover week and I did an LOSH piece in the spirit of the Beatles HELP album! Let’s call it a bonus panel!

4 Likes

I really like that fine line work you’re doing!

L O S H

4 Likes