[Legion Fan Club] Presents: A Panel a Day of 63 Years of Legion of Super-Heroes

Really makes me wonder about the character of the writer of the time

4 Likes

Iā€™m shocked the book got published, honestly, given how sensitive people were about the content in comics in those days. Of course, they may have been fixated on Dungeons and Dragons more than comics at that point. But honestly, the rest of the book (the space pirates) was pretty horrible.

4 Likes

Maybe the writer had a beer bet with the Artist at the time. ā€” ā€˜bet you canā€™t draw thisā€™ or somesuch ā€¦

4 Likes

I had the same thoughts, actually. Would have loved to have seen behind the scenes on this one!

2 Likes

Bears investigating

3 Likes

It would be such a niche book, and I know there is at least one ā€œabout the Legionā€ book, but it would be good to get a good oral history of all these eras. I know there was a recent paywall blog entry about the V4 era with Giffen, Waid and the Bierbaums. I think one that talks about the editorial wrangling around the disappearance of Superman, Zero Hour, KC Carlsonā€™s exit, McAcavennieā€™s un-management then overcorrection, DnAā€™s departure, the Threeboot, the Lightning Saga & on would be a good project and a good read for a Legion fan.

I donā€™t know if anyone would really want to talk though. Waid has been the only person to say anything on the record about it over the years. Carlson has blogged some about it but has gone largely silent lately.

2 Likes

Well letā€™s dig in Iā€™m sure thereā€™s something out there

3 Likes

There are bits and pieces over the years, but most are contemporaneous accounts, so therefore are selling their current (or collected) product.

Looking back 20+ years, weā€™ve seen a large number of discussions of the early v4 era (Tom Bierbaum has a blog on his issues), there have been a few recollections of the preZH era from the people involved, but not much after. It would be good to get the recollections of Peyer, Stern, and especially McCraw on the 94-2000 era, especially around McAvennie sacking the entire staff, the nurturing of Oliver Coipel, and the mess around the Threeboot, Lightning Saga and Legion of Three Worlds that ultimately led to Levtizā€™s return to the book.

I think most of US would find all that fascinating, but I doubt it would be a hit at the mass market. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Tuesday

LOL it took a few seconds and a second look for me to figure out what was really going on here!

4 Likes

Nobody likes being touched by Dirk.

Doesnā€™t he get the same treatment from Nura?

2 Likes

Poor Dirk

3 Likes

4 Likes

pooor Dirk

3 Likes

Yes, heā€™s just being friendly in a harassing and creepy manner, typical teen boy in the 30th Century, after the great morality collapse of the 27th Century.:rofl:

4 Likes

Well on the bright side at least the first Legion stories werenā€™t written in the 1840s

3 Likes

thinking what those stories would have looked like does give one pause ā€¦science fiction didnā€™t really roll out until the late eighteen hundreds, as we know it anyway

4 Likes

True, because we wouldā€™ve missed some great costumes, and all the girls wouldā€™ve been secretaries.

4 Likes

Iā€™m thinking Mark Twain could have written some pretty good Legion stories.

Then we would have all rolled our eyes when Poe took over the writing chores. It would be like how we feel now when Tom King decides to revamp a favorite character.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

In that version of the Legion, Dirk would have been walled up by bricks in the basement somewhere by these ladies

3 Likes