Krypton Episode 1 "Pilot" Review

Krypton is fantastic with a great cast of characters. More reviews coming today and tomorrow!

Light Spoilers Below!!!

Krypton’s Pilot proves the series is off to a solid start. I watched the first 4 episodes of Krypton when it was coming out but ran out of time and got behind . It’s amazing watching is the second time how well all the characters get established in the first hour.

Seg-el (Cameron Cuffe) is a tragic hero who doesn’t quite know who he is. He loses his family and his sense of place early on. His relationships with every character are made clear quickly. From his passion for his parents, to his anger at the eminence and the vex house. He feels very fleshed out.

Lyta-Zod (Georgina Cambell) is maybe the least fleshed out right now but has a strong romeo and Juliet like relationship with Seg. It will be interesting to see her evolve but right now most of her passions aren’t as clear.

Adam Strange (Shaun Sipos) is an interesting fish out of the water character. From Earth, he has clear objectives but has the right attitude. A sense of desperation and a beacon of hope.

Jayna Zod (Ann Ogbomo) is mysterious and complex. She seems to portray a tough mom/ soldier attitude but their are signs of vulnerability and protectiveness that are fitting of a mother.

Kem (Rasmus Hardiker) is fantastically witty yet logical at the same time. Him and Cameron Cuffe hit the ground running establishing a clear long history with each other. The Bar scene toward the beginning quickly establishes Seg and Kem in a very fun way. I’m looking forward to more of their fun.

Nyssa-Vox (Wallis Day) seems every bit as manipulative as her father, but also a little bit desperate for any sort of power knowing she’s a political pawn to her father.

Daron-Vex (Elliot Cowan) hasn’t impressed me yet but as least has a clear character. I look forward to watching his relationship to Jayna-Zod and Seg-El Evolve.

Overall the first issue is fairly barebones on plot but with such strong exposition I don’t mind it!! There are a few too many characters to begin with and that number will only increase as Dev-em and the voice of Rao get more to do. Also fun fact Brainiac and The Voice of Rao are both played by Blake Ritson. Also I have to give a shout out to Young Seg (Nicholas Matthew Meuller) for his ability to draw out tears at such a young age. I’m an actor who’s been doing acting for 4 years and still can’t draw out tears despite being very emotional. He has a bright future ahead of him.

8.6/10 -Strong character building but light on plot and too many characters.

-Nathan.Payson (You’re friendly neighborhood reporter)

3 Likes

Bump!

Fairly solid review. :+1:

Yeah, Krypton is great!