Justice League Book Club Week 25: Extreme Justice

Roll call: Amazing Man! Blue Beetle! Booster Gold! Captain Atom! Firestorm! Maxima and more!

Greetings and happy '90s nostalgia blast, League! This week, the spotlight shines on one of the most under-appreciated Justice League ongoing titles of the 1990s, Extreme Justice!

Here’s how you can get your extreme '90s fix on, dudes and dudettes!

:books: Read:

:speaking_head: Discuss

• Have you read Extreme Justice before? Yes, it isn’t the most highly-regarded Justice League ongoing, but it is still a fun series, so you can freely admit if you’ve read it before. I have, and I :heart: it.
  • What were your thoughts on this story?
  • Anything else that comes to your extreme, Fruitopia-drinking, portable CD player-carrying, wideleg jean wearing (JNCO fans in the house?), rollerblading, dial-up Internet using (Remember the screech of the modem? Good times.), flannel shirt tied around your waist, Phish-listening, '90s minds and mindsets. It should go without saying, but if you were born after the '90s, you can absolutely get into this series just fine. :slight_smile:

That’s the mission, League! Check out Extreme Justice, and before long, you too will find yourself saying “Hey Booster! Your new costume really sucks, man!”

Take care and have fun, League! :justice_league_book_club: :superman: :00_justice_league_extreme_justice:

5 Likes

Today is Tuesday, which means it’s New DC Comics Day AND New to DCUI Comics Day! :confetti_ball: :partying_face: :batparrot:

Brand-New Justice League Comics

Justice League #63

Variant cover by Dan Panosian

The Trial of Naomi commences! After the shocking events of the last few issues of Justice League, the team is forced to confront its larger issues as a group and the responsibilities the League has to the world where they live versus the Multiverse at large. Guest stars galore as Justice League members from the past come to give guidance for the future. Naomi’s fate is revealed. Black Adam joining the Justice League becomes public, and the fallout is surprising. And what cosmic secret is Hawkgirl carrying with her?

Meanwhile, the Justice League Dark must rely on the wit of John Constantine to make their way back to the real world, which is slowly losing its grip with Merlin ready to remake it in his image. Little do they know, a knight from the sorcerer’s past is the key to stopping him once and for all. Will she survive long enough to help our heroes?

RWBY/Justice League #13 (Digital First)

The tide has shifted around Remnant and Team RWBY is on their heels. They’re surrounded on all sides with nowhere left to turn. If Team RWBY and their new powerful friends can’t stand against this final wave, it’s the end of Remnant permanently!

New to DCUI Justice League Comics

Aquaman #66

“Endless Winter” chapter four! The icy tendrils of Frost King’s global grip extend all the way to the bottom of the Seven Seas! Can Arthur and Mera convince a ferocious collective of Fire Trolls to emerge from the Earth’s very core to save Atlantis from its frozen imprisonment? And in our look to the past, the unlikely team of heroes gets more than they bargained for when they face off against the Frost King for the very first time!

Dark Nights: Death Metal #6

The battle rages as the entire DC Universe stands against the Darkest Knight! Villains fight alongside heroes working as one to banish this demon from the deepest corners of the Dark Multiverse. Meanwhile, the Robin King lurks nearby, his army of Groblins in wait. The dogs of war are loose and no one is safe.

Justice League #58

“Endless Winter” chapter five! In this turning point issue, the Justice League is scattered across the snow-covered globe, trying to stave off the frozen doom, leaving Green Lantern John Stewart to stand alone. At the Hall of Justice, he begins to piece together clues that could help turn the icy tide that threatens to overwhelm them all. But then an unexpected visitor arrives on cue: the Frost King himself! In the past, however, Queen Hippolyta, Swamp Thing, and Viking Prince witness a terrible decision made by Black Adam-one that will haunt them forever.

Teen Titans: Endless Winter Special

“Endless Winter” chapter six! Crush, Roundhouse, Kid Flash, and Red Arrow embark on a bonding exercise with new partners from the original New Teen Titans: Donna Troy and Beast Boy? Everyone’s limits will be tested as they brave the challenges of holiday shopping in Manhattan! And then, the city is buried in snow! When they discover a teen whose powers are triggered by the extreme cold, the team must decide if this new arrival is a future hero or villain. And in the past, Black Adam battles the Frost King with devastating consequences.

Who’s Who Update 1987 #4

Find out all! From Lois Lane to Rampage, including the Lords of the Ultra-Realm, Mr. Bones, New Atlantis, the Outsiders, the Question…and more!

Whether it’s brand-new to comic stores, or brand-new to DCUI, there’s a new Justice League book for YOU! What are you reading this week? Sound off below! :speaking_head: :loudspeaker: :point_down:t2:

2 Likes

I have not read this before. I thought the story was … ok. The art I did not like at all. I like Firestorm, obviously, but the whole separation of Martin and Ronnie is not cool.

4 Likes

Hey, hey, it’s @scoop001! Welcome back to JLBC happenins’, good sir. :partying_face:

The art in Extreme Justice can be…messy, in some issues. Nobody will ever mistake some issues of Extreme Justice for having been drawn by John Byrne, Nicola Scott, Jim Lee or other luminaries, that’s for sure.

Not that I can draw worth a damn, mind you, but even so, I guess deadlines just had to made in the EJ days, no matter the quality of said art. :wink:

Thanks for chiming in, scoopster! :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Well hello there Justice League Book Club Tally-Ho! :wave: :sunglasses:

This was a story unlike I’ve ever read. :sweat_smile:

Not before this, but if I remember correctly one of our other JLBC readings we had a little taste of the Extreme League… Might have been in our Incarnations week… :thinking:

Checks past posts and it was! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m thinking I should have been listening to extreme music as that probably would have taken me to a whole different level. :metal: :sunglasses: :metal:

Definitely interesting seeing this League’s team members follow Captain Atom into the “seemingly deserted” mountain. :eyes:

Nice to also see how Amazing Man’s powers worked and how they helped in being surprising, and helping out a friend Ronnie. :smiley:

I did feel bad for Maxima in trying to have a relationship with Cap which didn’t work out. :pensive:

It was also nice seeing Blue Beetle find his beetle… Even if it was because his father sold off the designs for a profit… :sweat_smile: :beetle: :sunglasses: :+1:

Say, I did carry a CD player, rollerblade at the skating rink, and oh the dial-up Internet sound and making sure no one picked up the phone while using it… :joy:

And also… This… :point_down:

Other Extreme Justice Thoughts

A nice study lesson. :nerd_face:

My reaction was also very similar, and then it was fun learning that Cap just quantum stepped himself because he absorbed too much energy. :astonished:

The doc’s reaction to Skeets is so funny. :rofl:

Do not get Captain Atom angry… :exploding_head:

Ah, here is that explainer panel that had Cap time jump instead of die… :clark_hv_4:

Silly Oberon trying to explain things in a superhero world… I guess I would be skeptical as well… :thinking:
Or… If I did live in their world… Maybe not… :superman_hv_4:

Woah! Look at Professor Stein! Never seen him like this before… :open_mouth: :fire:

3 Likes

Hai, @ajm08g! :wave:t2:

I’ll address your points/selections in the next day or so (I’m on vacation, ATM), but as always, I thank you for chiming in. :+1:t2:

pops Rammstein into his portable CD player, as he did in 1999, and drifts off to sleep :sleeping:

3 Likes

Sounds good Vroom. :clark_hv_4:

Enjoy the vacation time. :sun_with_face: :sunglasses: :+1:

3 Likes

I read it as it came out (as is custom, I read it twice). I won’t be reading it again. It was a good cast that could have worked, but the writing and art were just not there. Keep reading until issue #9 if you want to see a certain set of famous twins join up.

An interesting tidbit regarding this series. Ivan Velz Jr. comes in to do issues #9-11 and is followed to the series end by Robert Washington III. They both came over after Milestone ended. Not many series even to this day can claim to have writers that are white, black and latino.

2 Likes

An excellent point!

I knew Extreme Justice was special (in its own way), and the above makes it all the more special. If only more people knew about its writers…

1 Like