Just Three Writers

@baseballmaniac01.45870 If you don’t mind me asking, why did you go with Stan Lee?
-Jack

3 Likes

@ComoChingadosNo: I went with Stan Lee because he was the greatest creator this medium has ever seen. Please don’t think me rude for asking this, but have you ever read the work of Stan “The Man” Lee?

2 Likes

@Kon-El: If you mean you’re forming a reputation as a concerned, loyal DC fan who wants to save this venerable publisher, then, by all means, wear your reputation proudly.

4 Likes

Not sure how you can’t pick Geoff Johns since he’s basically shaped the current state of the DCU, others of late for me would be Tomasi and probably Snyder.

However when he’s right there’s rarely a more talented comic writer than Grant Morrison.

5 Likes

I thought I’d see a lot more mentions of Tomasi on these lists given he is seemingly always adored on DCU and other online forums. I personally think he is a bit overrated (no offense meant) but completely understand his appeal.

2 Likes

Brian Michael Bendis, Grant Morrison, and, hmm… Warren Ellis? I love all the stuff Ellis has done that isn’t his more high profile work. Karnak? Awesome. Injection? Brilliant. Red? Fun as all hell. Global Frequency? Thanks for the recommendation, @TurokSonOfStone1950! But seriously, he’s got some really smart ideas and he’s good at conveying them to the reader. I don’t like everything he’s done, but I like enough of it.

Oh, and Nextwave? How could I forget about Nextwave?

7 Likes

Brian Michael Bendis.
Warren Ellis.
Ed Brubaker.

How in the %&@$ am I the first person to mention Brubaker?

I’d also give an honorable mention to Chuck Dixon, he was the writer of the first comic book I ever read and it hooked me immediately, I have a soft spot in my heart for his work as a result.

6 Likes

Brubaker isn’t a “regular” so I’m sure he just isn’t on the radar when people think of writers. As comparison… Ellis has written for DC, two or three hundred issues, off and on, for nearly 30 years.

Check out Transmetropolitan if you get a chance.

2 Likes

Giffen/DeMatteis (they are a team so they count as one)
Geoff Johns
Robert Kirkman

4 Likes

Surprised DeMatties hasn’t been mentioned more. He’s hilarious!

3 Likes

Why would anyone ever want Bendis? Granted the start to his Superman run was pretty great and I was enjoy LoSH.

3 Likes

Denny O’Neil, Marv Wolfman, and Geoff Johns. They never seem to disappoint, at least for me.

8 Likes

@Behemoth, same reason why any of us is mentioning any of these writers. In short, because I like his writing :slight_smile:

I did go through a discussion on this topic several times in other threads. If interested in why I like him, check out this post:

The first post links to several other posts I made on the topic, and then I get into a little back & forth on the same thread (lots of reading; sorry). I don’t want to bog down @Kon-El’s thread here, so if you’d like to talk about it more you can always DM me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@Behemoth, that’s a solid list, I was curious if anyone was going to mention Tomasi in here

2 Likes

Just acknowledging your question. Not meant to go off topic. Short answer. Dude used to be really, really good. :+1:?

3 Likes

I think for me it would have to be Snyder, Bendis? And johns.
Honorable mentions/ other ones I love though would have to be Tomasi, priest, and unpopular opinion I’ve learned: I quite enjoy Tom king’s works

2 Likes

Liking all the answers. Kinda surprised I’m not seeing any Tynion IV and Dan Abnett from newer readers. No Len Wein from older readers.

And…have I missed something? I don’t recall a single mention of Alan Moore.

Yes…I know how old ALL of you are. :smirk:

5 Likes

I think msgtv mentioned Abnett.

3 Likes

Probably Grant Morrison, Warren Ellis, and Neil Gaiman. @Kon-El Len Wein definitely gets an honorable mention from me, but he doesnt rank top 3. He might make top 5, though, along with Alan Moore (maybe they could team up and co-write some new Swamp Thing issues, though i doubt Moore would be pleasant to share a creative role with :wink:).

4 Likes

I’m not paying attention to @msgtv! Pssssh…
:hugs:

3 Likes