Joker movie review! No spoilers

An absolute amazing and gripping movie that I really loved and need to see again. Joaquin Phoenix completely knocks it out of the park and is amazing and will probably and hopefully get nominated for an Oscar. I went in not expecting anything from the comics or any other interpretation of the character (because you shouldn’t or then you will just be disappointed) and was completely amazed of what I saw. This is completely it’s own movie and does deliver in my opinion with Joaquin Phoenix being in almost 100 percent of the movie. This ain’t your typical action packed comic book movie but a gripping drama about Arthur fleck. A 9.5/10 for me and will definitely see again probably tomorrow!

8 Likes

Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve been a Joker fan since I was a small child. I am not expecting a “faithful” interpretation, from the trailers I gathered it’s very much its own thing. I’m still not sure exactly what to expect but I appreciate that it’s a drama instead of trying to be a comic book movie.

3 Likes

Just saw it. Super amazed. I know its a one off but i want to see this Joker against batman. I need it!!!

5 Likes

Honestly… one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. Best live action portrayal of the Joker yet. Kind of sad that it’s a stand alone film.

2 Likes

I loved the movie. Joaquin definitely deserves all the praise he’s received thus far. The set design for Gotham was perfect, very reminiscent of the cities in decay of the late 70s.

2 Likes

Probably one of my new favorite movies, period. It was beautiful, unnerving, bleak, and everything flowed/fit so perfectly. Joaquin Phoenix truly deserves all the praise in the world for this one.

2 Likes

I need and will re-watched again. Saw it last night. Surprisingly cracked few laughs in my packed theater.

2 Likes

It’s flat out great, and Joaquin Phoenix manages to be even scarier when his Joker isn’t smiling or laughing. Just look at this intensity.

2 Likes

An interesting movie, to be sure. As nearly everyone is saying, Joaquin Phoenix is almost uncomfortably intense. The sheer ambiguousness of the film is striking; who even know how much of it was real and how much was a hallucination? Fans will be debating this one for a long time to come.

1 Like

It was adequate. Phoenix gave a strong performance. The movie around him was merely passable, with its main merit being the “unreliable narrator” angle. Otherwise…well, I have Taxi Driver on Blu-Ray, so that need is met.