Joker movie chat

I just finished the Joker movie. I loved it. I still think Heath Ledger is my favorite joker. However it was way cool to see a version of how someone could end up being like the joker. Has anyone else seen this yet? Spoilers are likely.

3 Likes

I’ve seen Joker and also really liked it, @Dr.Doom! Apart from Jared Leto’s attempt, I feel that all Joker representations have their place. Heath Ledger’s take was definitely legendary.

That being said, I was surprised to see such a fresh perspective on the character in this film. What I liked most was how by the end, we had no idea what really happened. The unique portrayal allowed the viewer to question their entire experience - a true “wildcard” like The Joker himself. The slow burn of watching Arthur become The Joker (or did he) was a rare opportunity to glimpse the creation of a madman, shaped by the city who turned its back on (what seemed to be) a poor soul in need. I look forward to rewatching and picking up more clues for a better understanding, which to me is the mark of a feature masterpiece.

Excellent topic! I’m eager to hear other critiques and thoughts!

2 Likes

@KeyFamily I also like all representations of the joker. This one for me was especially good. I liked how much of it was visual rather than spoken. Like the restroom scene. I also liked that he seems to have a lot happen around the things he dose. A true engine of chaos.

1 Like

This is quite a bit different than any other version of the character that I have seen. But it’s also probably not for everyone.

1 Like

I liked how much of it was visual rather than spoken. Like the restroom scene.

Classic scene (and excellent observation)! Most of what Joaquin did there was improv, along with the emptying the refrigerator and climbing inside part. The music was a great partner to those scenes with less dialogue, which also put the focus on the visuals.

1 Like

This is quite a bit different than any other version of the character that I have seen.

I agree! Much more cinematic, with a toned pace and style.

1 Like

The style was awesome.

2 Likes

Hello @Dr.Doom, I would say this Joker film was dark and depressing but I still like the film, Joaquin Phoenix did a excellent job. As for favorite Joker, no matter what People say, Jack Nicholson will always be my favorite cause he scared me when I was little! :joker_hv_1:

2 Likes

10 was ten when I saw Joker burn Tony alive with the hand buzzer. Way scary stuff. The Keton Batmobile will always be “my Batmobile.” I love Batman 89. Jack was a great Joker.

This joker is a slow burn but I love The details in this film. I love how visual it is.The style, Gotham, it’s really well done.

2 Likes

Being a very big joker batman fan and the biggest fan of the killing joke, i went into the Joker with a very open mind, and I’ll tell you, i loved how the joker was finally put on the big screen for what i think is the second best origin story of the Joker (the first being the killing joke for me). Joaquim Phoenix absolutely knocked that roll outta the park and the stadium next to it. I thought it was very well put together and paid a great respect to the character that is Joker. One thing i did notice was the nod it gave Heath Ledger’s joker, the pic will be at the end of this. Another thing i kinda noticed was the similarities to the killing joke. I may be just reaching here but if you’ve read the novel and seen the animated movie you may see what im taking about here. So both joker characters have lost loved ones, one lost his pregnant wife and unborn child to a very mysterious car accident, the other lost his mother in a mysterious way to if it really happened at all. Remember what thre joker said in the killing joke, (If I’m going to have memories then i prefer them to be multiple choice.) That got me thinking, was Joaquim Phoenix’s joker making that all up in the end while talking to the nurse in what i can assume is Arkham asylum? And if so is it safe to assume that his mother was lying about her and Thomas Wayne and that Bruce is his step brother? I guess when it comes to the Joker, you can’t really trust everything he tells you but you always believe that HE’S A MAN OF HIS WORD. Here’s the pic from the Joker that showed a nod and respect to the late Heath Ledger. Let me know if you see the resemblance.

2 Likes

Joaquim Phoenix absolutely knocked that roll outta the park and the stadium next to it. I thought it was very well put together and paid a great respect to the character that is Joker.

Well worded and awesome review, @rabidlaughter! I completely agree!

One thing i did notice was the nod it gave Heath Ledger’s joker, the pic will be at the end of this.

Keen observation! I don’t recall if I noticed this in the film or had even known that it existed. I really loved Heath Ledger’s portrayal in The Dark Knight so that hits me in the feels. Very cool.

Another thing i kinda noticed was the similarities to the killing joke. I may be just reaching here but if you’ve read the novel and seen the animated movie you may see what im taking about here. So both joker characters have lost loved ones, one lost his pregnant wife and unborn child to a very mysterious car accident, the other lost his mother in a mysterious way to if it really happened at all. Remember what thre joker said in the killing joke, (If I’m going to have memories then i prefer them to be multiple choice.) That got me thinking, was Joaquim Phoenix’s joker making that all up in the end while talking to the nurse in what i can assume is Arkham asylum? And if so is it safe to assume that his mother was lying about her and Thomas Wayne and that Bruce is his step brother? I guess when it comes to the Joker, you can’t really trust everything he tells you but you always believe that HE’S A MAN OF HIS WORD.

Only a true fan would take the time to compare and contrast the two stories. Great job! The Killing Joke and Joker do share a lot of similarities. I had thought of those overlapping threads when I watched the movie too!

2 Likes

Truly fascinating! I have been a fan of Batman since I was a kid, Joker is such an interesting and complex character, This movie made me realize how much more can be done with the character and leave it open to so many theories and interpretations. I have never seen the killing joke, I have a huge interest in it though, would you recommend the graphic novel or the movie?

3 Likes

I read the novel first then watched the movie. There are just a few things the movie doesn’t have that the novel has, but i imagine that’s due to editing and time restraints. The movie really nails it on the head by capturing the essence of the novel, between the animation and voice over work it’s my all time #1 joker origin movie. Let me know what you think if and after you read and watch the movie.

3 Likes

Scary new profile pic, @Dr.Doom! Screen Rant just posted a “10 Easter Eggs in Joker Everyone Missed” video and I thought everyone in the thread might be interested - @Reaganfan78, @rabidlaughter, and @killingthejokewithmagic. I’m currently watching it myself. Enjoy!

2 Likes