JLA (1966)

Hey everyone! General question about the 80 something issue run on here of the JLA (1996). So quick backstory, I started reading comics in the new 52 era so I’m not too knowledgeable about pre flashpoint and the plot details of what transpired. I like the series so far but I’m curious as to when this is taking place.

Is it actually pre 52/flashpoint? I’m most confident it’s not golden age or any of that jazz lol. Thanks in advance!!

1 Like

Pretty sure 1996 would be Post Crisis / Pre-Flashpoint. Pretty sure Flashpoint. Flashpoint basically sets up the timeline break that resulted in the New 52. Just started on this series myself, so looking forward to getting through it!

2 Likes

JLA was a Modern Age book at the time of its publication (1996-2006). It takes place and ends long before Flashpoint and The New 52.

2 Likes

Flashpoint was the first (second, if you count the Flash of Two Earths back in the ‘50s) reboot that completely threw out the entire history in favor of a new continuity. Crisis on Infinite Earths heavily modified continuity and changed many characters’ origins, but the Justice League of America stories from 1960-1987 are broad-strokes canon for JLA, and everything from 1987-1996 is explicitly canon for it. All of those stories, including JLA and the Justice League series that followed it, are no longer in-continuity as of 2011, because the 2011 Flashpoint reboot hates DC’s history with the fiery passion of a thousand editorial mandates.

1 Like

I am enjoying it.

1 Like

I wish they’d add more Post-Crisis comics. They really don’t have much on the service.

Post-Crisis was a magical time in DC fandom. The entire company was attempting to stay in continuity with each other. Sure, there were some misfires. But on the whole, it was pretty awesome to see plotlines started in one title and played out cross multiple titles and multiple years. (And I’m not talking about “cross overs.”)