Jessica Cruz Thread 💚

There is a lot of love for this character and you can count me as one of her fans. A very different member of the Green Lantern Corps that shows that truly anyone can be brave. Come one, come all and let’s share our love for Jessica Cruz!

10 Likes

My interest in Jessica Cruz began when I was a teenager and had decided to get back into DC comics mainline books, picking up #1 of Justice League Odyssey at a comic book store. My first ongoing I read in the rebirth era. I initially planned to read it just for Cyborg and Starfire until I grew to like and fell hard for the new green Lantern in the series, Jessica Cruz.

Besides her hilarious personality, best shown in her awkward encounter with Starfire. The first few issues of Odyssey also featured my favorite artists working on the book, Sejic stjepan.

He has a known style for illustrating gorgeous woman with relatable personality, so him working on Jessica was honestly more perfect than I initially realized. I significantly enjoyed Justice League Odyssey and Jessica Cruz 10 times more because of it.

Even when Stjepan left the book, I stayed because I love how endearing Jessica Cruz became in this series. Becoming my favorite member on the team.

I’ll talk more about Justice League Odyssey in the future, but suffice to say, this is how I was introduced to Jessica Cruz and she’s still as amazing as the day I discovered her.

9 Likes

Now that you mention it, I think JLO was the first book I read that included Cruz. I had already heard of her and knew what she looked liked but this book was the first thing I read that had her in it. Afterwards, I eould begin my GL binge starting with Hal’s resurrection in the 2000s, but when I finally made it to Green Lanterns Rebirth, I really fell in love with her. Now I’m impatiently waiting for her to show up again

7 Likes

Jessica is one of my favorite Green Lanterns. I love that she is Mexican American (an ethnicity that was rare in comic books) and that she suffered from anxiety (again, something rarely seen in comic books). And she has such a wonderful personality.

8 Likes

It’s crazy that next summer will already be the 10th Anniversary of her first full appearance in Justice League #31.

8 Likes

I love the character. I hope she gets back in some comic soon. She has been largely MIA for awhile now.

7 Likes

I know! Honestly, a lot of the human GLs have been absent recently

6 Likes

One thing that kinda got started before Dark Crisis that I want to revisit is Jessica Cruz as a Yellow Lantern. Obviously, this wouldn’t be a permanent change to status quo but I feel there is a lot of story-telling potential to be told with this set-up. But then Dark Crisis had her back to a GL in a background shot and she hasn’t been seen since. Not gonna lie, a bit bummed out about that

6 Likes

Yeah Sinestro was shown to have a lot of interest in her. That was pretty cool. I hope they follow up.

6 Likes

Finally, good to know I’m not the only one who feels that way. I was also disappointed in how Dark Crisis quietly erased that development because I think Jessica Cruz choice to become a Yellow Lantern is not out of character. Jessica Cruz understands fear more than anyone and her mindset on what the power of the Yellow Lantern ring means to her is way more intriguing than one might expect.

With the the power of the Yellow ring, She acquires the ability to sense to feel people’s fear, understanding it, and using it as beacon to find others who need help. She knows Sinestro is pulling some kind of manipulation on her, but I think it’s fascinating because unlike other Yellow Lanterns, she’s willing to give it a chance to do good with it.

I loved the story potential of Yellow Lantern Jessica Cruz, so fingers cross, they return to it in the near future. :yellow_heart:

6 Likes

Jessica Cruz anxiety popping up when she’s in big crowds or when doing public speaking is so relatable it genuinely hurts. :melting_face:

7 Likes

I think Jessica Cruz is an awesome character, her back story is intense and having a character that is dealing a lot of trauma and a ton of anxiety I think makes her way more relatable as a character. To then have her chosen to be in the GLC, and having to learn that she has it in her to overcome it all.

I think it was a miss putting her into the Yellow Corps, I get the concept of wanting to do good with any color, but she as a character wasnt going to fit because that corps does take a bit of ruthlessness and intimidation, which just isn’t Cruz.

I also enjoyed watching her and Baz grow as teammates.

6 Likes

The Green Lanterns Rebirth book really was great!

6 Likes

Y’all remember her story from the Future State books? It was the first time they teased Cruz as a Yellow Lantern. But even before that, it really displayed how much progress she made regarding her anxiety and mastering her constant fear in a story that does feel a little bit like Die Hard

7 Likes

I am glad I am not the only one who thought they missed something with the yellow lantern storyline. Apparently it was a non-starter

5 Likes

Look, Jess, I know punching a superior officer is technically a bad thing. But it’s Guy Gardner. The Guardians will allow it and Kilowag will cheer you on

3 Likes

I believe the rule in the Corps is anyone can punch Guy any time they want.

6 Likes

Fun fact about Jess. She was once a avid hunter, having knowledge as a survivalist with a degree in forestry management. So Jessica being resourceful and surviving in this situation is totally in character.

By the way, I love the John McClane reference. :laughing: Remove her fears, and Jessica Cruz has an action hero in her.

5 Likes

Hey @EDT I thought you like to know that in Mysteries of Love in space. Jessica Cruz, Starfire, and Hawkgirl team-up to battle a alien in space and later had a drink where Hawkgirl opens up to them about her complicated love life and they cheer her up by toasting to their new friendship.

4 Likes

My man…you NEED to tell which comic this is from! I’m guessing the Justice League Rebirth book or am I wrong?

3 Likes