James Tynion is Leaving Batman

I want to see a Batman arc that causes Gotham to be broken up and incorporated into different cities. Call it “The Death of Gotham”

1 Like

Good for him. I wish him the best on his endeavors. Having said that, I mainly follow characters. There are very few (if any) creators that I would consider following outside my little DC bubble. Tynion, good as he may be, is not one of ‘em.

Far as who/what is next on Batman… I would hope they lighten him up just a tad. Batman has been so grim for quite some time. Bring the focus back on the character a bit, instead of the never ending Gotham is at war story that we’ve been reading for a while now. I like the current story, but with all the moving parts, Batman sometimes feels like another cog in the machine, instead of the main event. That probably didn’t make much sense… I talk too much.

8 Likes

I agree, it feels like I’m reading No Man’s Land all over again.

5 Likes

I’m really crushed. James brought be back to DC in 2014 with Batman Eternal after the betrayal of the erasure of Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, and Helena Bertinelli caused me to just quit reading and buying all DC comics in 2012. I adore Batman Eternal, his Detective Comics run, and his current run on the Joker, and even though I’m really happy that he’s making a huge deal for his career, I was really invested in what he was doing with the Batman books. The best the books have been as a line in, I’d argue, at least a decade.

4 Likes

sad but true.

1 Like

He’s the only writer in history to make me drop Detective and Batman while he was writing them. I hope the next writer does get back to basics as I have not enjoyed the new status quo in the slightest. Based on his performance in Batman: Universe, I’d like the new writer to be Brian Michael Bendis. But I expect to be disappointed on all fronts when news finally arrives.

6 Likes

That was such a good read. A completely different look at Batman that not only made me like the character more, but was just a fun adventure altogether.

4 Likes

I’m personally hoping the new writer goes this direction

Switch cities
Have Batman take care of Lex Luthor for a while

3 Likes

I personally hope they go full bravery and put Batman back in the blue, gray, and yellow oval suit. Both Tynion and Tamaki have played with it.

4 Likes

I should wear all yellow.

Frank Miller has entered the chat.

And also is the next writer for Batman.

Screaming.

1 Like

Same here although Tom King pushed me to the edge. I read Joker War and just decided I had seen enough. I started reading Batman comics just before Knightfall and this is the first time I chose to stop reading them (life caused a few gaps here and there). I’ve definitely read worse comics but for some reason this was the tipping point.

1 Like

We are saved!

1 Like

It really depends. are we getting ASBAR Frank or Year One Frank?

Both. At the same time. It changes with every word.

So…Superman Year One Frank? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes me nervous… Is the Bat family going to go back to torture and estrangement just when they were coming back together after years of being largely disconnected? I really, really hope not. Maybe I can just live in a Tom Taylor bubble with my favorite characters…

3 Likes

I hope DC has something up their sleeve. Really curious what writer will follow up. Jorge Jimenez is staying on so that’s pretty freakin great.

4 Likes

Yeah. I didn’t always agree with or enjoy all of Tynion’s creative choices or executions, but I always felt he loved the Batfamily, and wanted to make a cohesive universe, and this past year, it’s really felt like he was able to mostly accomplish that. And I’m very worried for what comes next, if DC can find another team player, or if we get another star writer who doesn’t fit with the rest of the books.

3 Likes

It sort of makes me wonder if maybe one of the writers currently involved in the Bat-books will come in? Maybe Mariko Tanaki will go from Detective to Batman? Or maybe another rising star like Stephanie Phillips?

I’ve also heard people suggest Chip Zdarsky which would be really cool, though I don’t know if Marvel would allow it since he’s doing Daredevil right now.

2 Likes