Is This Who I Think It Is in “Think of Me”?

Rorschach definitely isn’t ace – I think probably the biggest evidence to that theory is how he completely ignored a prostitute that was coming on to him on the street, but I think the fact that his abusive mother was a prostitute has more to do with that than a sexual identity.

5 Likes

Rorschach honestly had a disdain, misogynistic view on women. Honestly thought for a while he had attraction to Night Owl 2 because I assumed he was jealous when Dan started dating Laurie. It was really silly in retrospective.

4 Likes

Rorschach is one of the few characters who I think really really shouldn’t be queer. He’s such a bigoted dude and the point of him is obviously that he hates women, people of color and LGBT folks. Like the dude really has to be straight to make sense as a character.

1 Like

Out of burning curiosity, who else is on this list?

1 Like

That should be it’s own topic.

2 Likes

It’s not really a list because it’s basically “characters like Rorschach are supposed to represent things that are diametrically opposed to being lgbt and thus making them lgbt out of some misguided sense of representation is a harmful idea”. Like I think Barry Allen is straight but sure whatever make him gay I don’t care. Even like Darkseid sure whatever not a great idea but you do you.

2 Likes

I’ve always seen Joker and Scarecrow as more or less asexual

1 Like

I think that treating villains as asexual representation runs the risk of fostering a harmful stereotype that those who don’t value sexuality are somehow “crazy” or “broken.” Considering how little asexual rep there is, it’s important to have positive examples.

6 Likes

Star Wars has actually been doing pretty well with ace representation, which is objectively good, though I worry it’s being used in large part, perhaps unconsciously, to justify the Jedi Code, which is neither how asexuality works nor how the Code works, since a) many people are not asexual and b) the Code prohibits all sorts of platonic affection too, so it would suck even if the entire population of the Galaxy was ace.

1 Like

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO -passes out-

I’ve always liked Connor and was always waiting for the next big thing for him. And yeah, he’s always been kind of considered to be very attractive to a point where female characters were trying to flirt with him, but he never showed much interest. At times it was just played up as a contrast to his father, but it’s cool that they seem to be exploring that further.

I feel like, given a little time, I could come up with a bunch of cool Connor stuff to read… but… it’s been a whiiiile (aside from Williamson dusting him off in Robin). I do remember a 3-part crossover between Connor, Kyle Rayner, and Wally West and I feel like it was pretty fun. The crossover was called “Three of a Kind” and a quick google search gave me Green Lantern #96, Green Arrow #130, and Flash #135… but keep in mind, I haven’t read them in years.

I seached and came across this list that seems like it would help… although, i feel like there were larger portions of Kevin Smith’s run that would be worth checking out for Connor… and maybe some of the Winick run that followed that?

I’ll see if I can think of any others…

2 Likes

To be fair, a lot of people who have same sex attraction… especially the conservative ones… don’t identify as being gay. They just repress it. I imagine there are people who more or less ARE asexual who wouldn’t identify as such, and especially wouldn’t identify as such when it is put under the LGBTQ+ umbrella.

Personally, I wonder if he wouldn’t indentify more with the angry “incel” mindset…? Except that wasn’t a thing yet in the 1980s.

But I guess neither has played out on the page, so… :man_shrugging:

Well, many of them are, but there’s a whole bunch of other categories too.

1 Like

You’re right. I didn’t specify my point very well. I meant more that there are people who don’t identify as gay or queer or bi or anything else because that would mean admitting that they are something they “don’t believe in” or whatever. And no, that’s not every person who is conservative and lgbtq+. That can be anyone. I was specifically thinking of Rorschach. His personal beliefs about the world would prevent him from “identifying” as any of those things regardless of his internal feelings of attraction or sexuality or identity.

1 Like

The idea of Connor Hawke being reintroduced as a asexual is intriguing.

I’m hoping that Damian on that image means Damian and him will become the next super sons now that Johnathan Kent is a adult now.

Regarding his asexuality again, i hope that doesn’t deter relationships either. I always thought him and Cassandra Cain could be a interesting pairing when remembering there friendship in Batgirl and thinking now that Hawke and Cassandra Cain Batgirl are back with a new life, it would be cool to bring back those elements into a new relationship.

Ooh, I would love that!

I would like to point out that last we saw Connor before the new 52 he was a full grown man so fully confirming he was de-aged strikes me as a bad idea.

Yeah, I’m with you. Connor Hawke has been an adult since his debut.

His first appearance implies that he around 26 (because it suggests that he was probably conceived during the summer of 1967, and the book was published in 1994… and yes, time works differently in comics, but during that period, the book was a little more literal and “real world” than other comics, even if it crossed over with them once in a while), though I’d argue that he’s kind of stuck to around that age for his entire existence, so if he were a little younger at his debut, I wouldn’t argue. It would be hard for me to imagine him as younger than 22 though. He was living in a monestary when Ollie met him… and not because he was abandoned or an orphan or anything. He was a grown adult who had made the life decision to go, from what I can tell.

I’m all for him being competitive allies… or even becoming close friends (though, I’d also like him to be close friends with Cassandra and Tim), but yeah… maybe Damian’s besties just end up being young adults? Jon Kent… Connor Hawke… Dick Grayson… er… I mean, how old is Rose Wilson at this point?

1 Like

I mean ages are weird but I believe Rose is 18 or 19 right now, as she was said to be 18 a few years back. I don’t really know if that fits well with New Earth continuity but if it doesn’t she almost certainly becomes older there. Damian is I believe 13 or 14? I lean towards 13 and the absolute oldest he can be is 15. All of the people in his generation of sidekicks are also older than him too (Raven and Changeling are back up to being full grown adults, and the rest of them seem ~16). I guess he just doesn’t like kids his age (besides Jon, but wait no Jon was younger than him oops).

Yeah, this was from when he decided he was finally a Teen so it was his job to lead the Teen Titans in 2016. So he’s 13… 14… maybe 15.

And yeah, ages are weird. Easier to choose a range (since it can vary a bit, writer to writer). Once in a while characters age more rapidly in a solo title while their teammates age slower in a team book they’re both in. (And that’s not even counting all the kids who are aged up unnaturally via something that happened in the story!)

But yeah, Damian is a lower-teens kid. Connor Hawke would have had to have been retconned a lot to be younger than his 20s. He seemed to be maybe a smidge younger than Kyle Rayner and Wally West… or maybe the same age, just with different life experiences that made him seem less experienced about some aspects of life…

2 Likes