Is the Animated Killing Joke Movie As Bad as Everyone Says?

Strange dreams included if you include stuff from the first book.

I am far from a Potter head or fan of the guy as a character, but I have to disagree. Dead parents and heroic mark are basics of a hero. It is similar to my dead brother in New 52, Batsā€™s dead parents, Clarkā€™s dead planet, Lukeā€™s dead Aunt and Uncle.

The talking to snake piece is more evil sounding, but even then it is ultimately just used as a way to seek out and destroy evil in the best Harry Potter book/movie. It is one of the few times the franchise does not betray its own moral that our choices make our destiny instead of our circumstances as Parseltongue is used to fight evil instead of being it.

1 Like

Just give the rights of Harry Potter to Del Toro or Tim Burton and watch that change in seconds!

1 Like

Del Toro did almost direct them actually.

1 Like

Anyway, back to DC - yea, animated movie is pretty bad. Graphic novel has great stuff, but also some terrible stuff. Moore has become a person of contradictions despite still having good points. Andā€¦I think that covers it

2 Likes

I agree.

1 Like

Never was a huge Killing Joke fan. Bad? NOOOOO! Better Batman stories? YES! Better Alan Moore works? YES! Honestly, you can read it in like 10 minutes. So, I understand why they added more to it. Babs and Bats get it on? Who cares!!! Watch some soap operas or prime-time dramas, this is nothing that new or bad imho.

4 Likes

The 1st half wasnā€™t great but I also donā€™t think that part was as bad as most people make it out to be. What really ruins this movie for me was how they butchered Jokerā€™s final monologue. If you wanna hear how it really should sound, watch this:

2 Likes

People will always find something to complain about.

2 Likes

I think the film version is much better than this.

1 Like

Oh yeah! Itā€™s the most important thing now a days.

2 Likes

yeah, this is sadly for me probably the only DC Animated movie that is a flop.

The Batgirl Subplot, was not only not necessary it was never even fathomable until it was shown, and then it just became gross. So who ever thought oh boy this is really going to wow fans if we do this, that person should be slapped repeatedly with a Joker Fish.

Then, there was the singing scene, the music was just off and didnā€™t sync with anything, and the lyrics didnā€™t really rhyme. At least when you are reading it, you can make up a tune in your head and keep re reading till something syncs in your noggin.

That final scene , the final joke, over my head, and i hate jokes that are over my head. or jokes that have to be explained, if ya have to explain a jokeā€¦

I would prefer someone in due time, remake this animated movie, into a more grittier adaptation, maybe do it all in black in whiteā€¦ add some static to certain scenes.

I tell ya what though, I havenā€™t seen the new live action Flash movie, and I promise you, this animated movie is 100% better than the new Flash movie.

2 Likes

To me its the worst, I love the graphic novel though.

2 Likes

I watched it a few months back and to me it was okay. Not my favorite, but I didnā€™t hate it. I also waited until years went by of knowing what was going to happen and knowing the changes they had made. At this point I mostly watched it just to say that I did, but Iā€™m not going to hate on it.

2 Likes

i havent watched i have no desire to ever watch it bruce and barbra is way to creepy for me, same for the comic, I know what happens to barbra and have absolutlely no desire to see it play out. she gets fridged and it is in my personal opinion just generally bad writing to go out of your way to hurt a supporting character for the singular sake of advancing another character. In my opinion it never should have been adapted in the first place and it certainly was not handled well.

2 Likes

I think the intention of the movie was to empower and spotlight Batgirl as both a vulnerable human and a powerhouse superhero, however falls through on the execution. Barb becomes a pawn in Joker and Bats war and is portrayed as entirely dependent on Batman while he uses her then ghosts her. She is shown as being uncontrollably and unreliablely emotional and childish, yet has a toxic intimate relationship with Bruce. It does do well in showcasing how twisted Joker and Bats relationship is, and Jokerā€™s obsession with Bats leading batfam members to be caught in the middle. And while it did stay true to the comic, there were some inherently problematic parts of the original issue and plotline as well. But DC can be known for being quite dark and going places it maybe shouldnā€™t for the sake of the story.

So, take it how you will.

1 Like

I agree. Hereā€™s a point I made a few days ago thatā€¦ well, just take a look:

1 Like

If anybody is interested, 3 years ago Iā€™ve made a thread similar to this one about Barbara Gordon in The Killing Joke. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes