Is Batman The Animated Series A Place To Learn About Batman?

Welcome to DC Universe @tjr.38299 and Thankyou for your comment.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@tjr.38299 Welcome to the community. You’re right about BTAS being the best distillation of the Batman mythos. You can tell that Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and team loved the comics source material.

6 Likes

Thanks Reaganfan 78 and Travis Morgan: I have been a member of DC Universe for a few months now but it’s taken me a bit of time to get my feet wet in the community. Looking forward to checking out more…BTW: tjr.38299 is something that was given to me when I signed up. I just checked out profile settings to see how to change my profile image. Need to find out how to change my profile name/handle.

Take care

5 Likes

Your welcome, just go to My DC and tap the pencil in your profile picture and there you go.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s THE place to learn about great storytelling. Batman:TAS is one of the best TV shows ever to grace the small screen!

5 Likes

I think it’s a great way to start. Not everyone enjoys reading and most people like watching TV. Plus it’s one of the best representations of Batman and his rogues gallery. And that means they can watch Batman Mask of the Phantasm which is a great movie

3 Likes

It was my introduction to him. Not to mention it eased me into mature material (I was 7 at the time it came out).

3 Likes

They too MoTP off streaming service. :frowning:

2 Likes

Temporarily. It will return.

2 Likes

I’d definitely recommend BTAS in the batman learning starter kit.

3 Likes

It’ll be back soon, it’s just gone for a while then it’ll be back. By the way, Welcome to DC Universe @Christopher.tipps.7710! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Appreciate the welcome. Are the comic collections complete? I’m having trouble finding batman special #1 from 1984 featuring wrath. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

2 Likes

It’s right here: DC Universe

Did you search for “Batman Special” in the search bar?

1 Like

I thought I did. I’m sure it’s something I’m doing wrong, just can’t figure out what.

1 Like

I was a bit worried about this poll, but I see there are a lot of people who saw the original animated batman series.

To me, so many good things about Batman were not only done right in the original animated series but were improved upon (Mr. Freeze for example)

2 Likes

The reason I voted “No” is because of the phrasing of the question. I think BTAS is a good supplement to other options, but I’d recommend starting with Burton’s or Nolan’s films first to get a grasp on Batman himself. BTAS was effectively a spin-off of Batman '89 (despite not sharing strict continuity with it), so it sorta assumes that you already know the character.

1 Like

AH HA! So it was you who voted no @AlexanderKnox! LOL! I should’ve know it was you, :slightly_smiling_face:You’re entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.

1 Like

I actually wouldn’t suggest those. While they are good, Burton did things in his movie that Batman wouldn’t normally do and Nolan put more emphasis on Batman only handling major problems rather than stopping common criminals in addition to the city level threats.

Batman the Animated series is just good all around. While they had more time to tell those stories. I think the best examples of those are also some of the more powerful episodes. Almost Got Im? shows how good batman is at disguises and acting, Baby Doll showing that while Batman will go after criminals unrelenting, he isn’t just some cold hearted justice machine. Perchance to Dream and Heart of Steel do great jobs of showing his dedication and will power.

You just can’t match the powerful stories that animated series had and how much it will introduce people to who Batman is and what he is about.

3 Likes