In Gotham, is every character based on characters of in the DCU?

I love this show. And I love DC. DONT LAUGH! But I dont read enough Batman Comics to know for certain!!! So I’m trying to figure out what characters are actually in the DCU and which ones are just for the show?.. And minor spoiler or to anyone who has seen the show, they never indicated that Jeremiah is the Joker… Though he does resemble same qualities and similarities… Anyway, so I’m speaking of characters such as,

Fish Moony
Harvey Dent
Theo Galavan
Tabatha Galavan
Hugo Strange
Ethel Peabody
Effle
Barbra Keen
Lee Tompkins
Sophia Falcone

The reason I ask, is because I wanna read up these characters, if they are in the DCU.

1 Like

Most of them are from the comics. Gotham does put their own spin on them though. Fish is a character created just for the show. Theo and Tabitha are created for the show, but their alter-egos are names from the comics.

4 Likes

Gotham bastardized these characters and the whole Batman timeline, hate that show, definitely my least favorite DC tv show currently…

2 Likes

The “Batman timeline” isn’t set in stone. Continuity is always in flux. The Gotham TV show is like an Elseworlds story. If you enjoy it and want to know these characters better, I suggest reading BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT here on DC Universe. They have 100+ issues that you can read. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Most are, some are spinoffs of real characters & comic titles.

2 Likes

Most are based off of comics characters from 75 plus years of Batman history. Watch Batman the animated series for imho a definitive Batman which inspired (prequel of) Gotham TV show. You’ll see older Lee and Harvey and Falcone etc. as for comics if there’s enough to read the Scott Snyder run from the beginning is a great way to see Bruce become Batman with a great support cast.

2 Likes

To add to my post. They are all younger versions (the major ones I’m about to reference) but Lee Tompkins is Dr. Leslie Tompkins. Friend from medical school of Thomas Wayne(Bruce’s dad)& she continues to work with Batman as his private Dr/psychologist,as well as anyone referred to her by Batman, or people who can’t afford the medical attention they need. Hugo Strange is a main character at Arkham Asylum, a kind of mad scientist. Sophia Falcone is the daughter of Carmine Falcone, also referred to as “The Roman”. One of Batman’s 1st takedowns of a mob related member & organization. She also has some pretty major story arcs as herself in Batman lore.

1 Like

Totally forgot Harvey Dent the most major of the ones u listed is two-face.

1 Like

ITS A DC SHOW AND BATMAN IS DC

2 Likes

Don’t feel embarassed! This is why DC Universe exists! Your safe place to ask questions and explore more of the universe. All of us started off in your position.
Answering your questions in order of the characters…
Fish Moony - Original character and Jada killed it!!
Harvey Dent - In the comics he’s known as the villain Two-Face
Theo Galavan - Original character
Tabatha Galavan - Orignal character, but her mantle “Tigress” is from the comics .
Hugo Strange - One of Batman’s oldest villains! Predates Robin and the Joker!
Ethel Peabody - New character. She made me laugh!
Effle - Not sure who you mean here
Barbra Keen - She has a complicated history in the comics that I wrote about once for another site, but yes she exists, but mostly as Gordon’s ex-wife and not a mobster.
Lee Tompkins - A mother figure to Batman in the comics who has her own clinic. Known as “Leslie”
Sophia Falcone - You can read all about her in Dark Victory!

4 Likes

JoshuaLapinBertone is the man. easter egg hunter extraordinaire & a wealth of DC knowledge. Writes awesome articles too in news section.