🇮🇸 Icelandic Comic Books! 🇮🇸

Hey everyone! I wanted to share my comic finds from my trip to Iceland with you! :iceland:

One camper van company had pop culture murals on each of their vans. I was losing hope of seeing some superheroes until literally the last day! The vans with air vents installed are really eager to advertise their superior ventilation prowess :laughing: I can’t tell you how may “Don’t stink!” logos we saw on these things, but this was the most creative.

I find other languages fascinating and it’s really cool to see a popular comic printed in another language. It’s kinda fun to be able to decipher some of the words just from the content.

I went on a food tour and of course comics came up in conversation and wouldn’t you know it, the guide actually published this book! I tracked down the nearest bookstore and got myself a copy! Gotta support those young artists! Google Translate does it’s best, but I don’t think I’m going to be able to understand this one :stuck_out_tongue:

And finally, when I was at said bookstore, the employee that helped me track the book down had actually studied comics in grad school and had tons of suggestions of other Icelandic comic creators and recommended this one! She had studied in Scotland and met the couple that wrote and illustrated it. They took some of the most iconic landscapes of Iceland and made them into characters!

I swear us comic nerds must have some mystic magnetism towards each other or something, the chances of me meeting both of these people is just incredible.

So mods, when are we adding Iceland to our international expansion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Anyway, I had no idea there was such a comic interest in Iceland and wanted to share my experience with you all! :grin:

13 Likes

That’s awesome

3 Likes

Was that an RBA (JLA) case file?

4 Likes

It was the whole series with the character profiles in between. Its fun to see the names of iconic characters in Icelandic!

5 Likes

Outside of the sweet comic finds, how was Iceland? How was the food?!?!

4 Likes

Amazing! Amazing! lol There is sooooooo much untouched nature, waterfalls everywhere and you drive an hour and suddenly everything is different.
Here are some of the landscapes!

Sometimes is was lava fields covered in moss and then it was forest and then it would be vast fields of grasses. Mountains, glaciers, old volcanoes and craters. It’s an incredible place.

8 Likes

@Vroom this one was for you!

5 Likes

Those are amazing sights!

3 Likes

Im in Love

4 Likes

There is a place in Dragon Age: Inquisition that is very similar to this. I believe it was in one of the DLC’s.

6 Likes

Wild! What a great experience!

6 Likes

Beautiful pictures of God’s creations, thankyou for sharing, glad you had a great vacation.:smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing these, they’re really cool! “Batman” in Icelandic is much longer than I would’ve thought. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Me too, according to the internet: “leðurblaka”=bat, “maðurinn”=man. So I guess man-bat would be maðurinn-leðurblaka? :rofl:

6 Likes

omg even better: leður (“leather”) +‎ blaka (“to flap") so he’s leather-flapping-man!

7 Likes

That is great! I’m always really interested in how names of characters are translated in other languages.

5 Likes

Those are beautiful pics @Bar-El! It must have been a wonderful vacation.

4 Likes

Thank you! :hugs: Its the one that caught my four eyes the most. :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes