I just can't do Titans

Everything can’t be for everyone.

It’s fun to watch, and I enjoy it.

Now I must admit that as much as I enjoy it…I still would’ve preferred it if we had a more accurate and less tampered with edition. I find it easier to watch if I just remind myself that it is supposed to be different, tho.

Hopefully one day we get an accurate series/movie or even a revamped animated show (not teen Titans go…which is my guilty pleasure by the way ;).

1 Like

Well bye…

Titans is amazing.

I actually enjoy it, it’s slightly different from other similar tv shows and it’s fun. I sort of like the darkness, sometimes it lacks a bit and some episodes seem to drag on but it’s enjoyable.

I don’t mind the tone of the show, it’s the artist/Creator’s vision for the series and I’ll respect that. I think, personally, the main issue is the writing is very weak at times. I will say that S2E5 (Conner) was pretty good, so I hope it can maintain pace. But I thought the same thing with the Doom Patrol episode last season, so we’ll see.

1 Like

Wasn’t fond of S1 but I do enjoy S2

I’m enjoying S2 more as well. But I get where you’re coming from. There are times where the cheese-factor is ramped a bit too high for me, but I always think DC’s animated is so strong because the cheesy lines play well in that format and it can be a little harder to sell in post-Nolan life-action. That being said, I expect any new rendition to deviate to create their own vision of the material/characters and do enjoy what they’re doing overall. And I much prefer it to the hell Teen Titans Go! did on my emotions in the other direction… lol But to each their own!

Personally, I really dig it. It certainly does have some writing problems though. Some of the dialogue isnt doing any of the actors any favors. Sometimes it’s a bit too simple and by the numbers. It’s a mixed bag, I get it.
However, I think the idea that doing a word for word, panel to panel adaptation of any comic version would not be nearly as good as some may think. I think it would be 1966 Batman without the humor. The constant spoken exposition, the clear “kid-friendly swearing” that resembles no actual real life dialogue, sneaking around in pixie boots and speedos with a bright yellow cape. Starfire comic outfits would work for me, but definitely would come under fire.
Most of the greatest Titans story material lends itself to a more mature take than the Comics Code Authority would have allowed at the time of publishing. Whose to say Marv Wolfman woundnt have written Grayson to drop f-bombs were he allowed to?

1 Like

Exposition is part of comics story telling. It is something comic book characters do. So I can’t really take issue with that.

Marv doesn’t strike me as an f-bomb dropper. I just don’t think it’s his style. Denny O’Neil…maybe. But Marv, I’ve never gotten that vibe from.

1 Like

These characters all come from dark backgrounds/tragedy and have to go through the task of overcoming them. That is in general what a lot of DC characters are. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows and camp which is what we get more than anything. We need some balance.

1 Like

Marv said he loves Titans and totally would have had his run with George be darker and mature than it already was prior to the S1 premiere. The only thing that stopped him and a lot of great comic writers in general was the Comics Code Authority. It was a really creatively limiting time which he does allude to in the foreword for the physical first volume of the NTT.

I’m not a fan of the show either. I honestly don’t mind the dark tone, I get that this is the Creator’s vision and I’ll respect it. But, I do have an issue with the writing. The dialogue is just really poor at times.

I could not stand Rachel in the last season. For a character with such an interesting and unique upbringing/background, they didn’t do anything too special with her. She sounded like a stereotypical “edgy” teenager (for lack of a better word). And, with that stereotype, comes completely out of touch dialogue that has nothing to say.

I think this is reflective of most of the characters in the show. I will say that season 2 is a definite improvement, but it’s still not great. The first episode in particular was bad because it was trying to rush through the cliffhanger of last season to move on to the new one. The Conner episode and storyline so far has been the first time I’ve actually gotten into the show and excited to watch each week (and I’m really not a Superboy fan). But the whole fake Bruce thing and weird change in Dick’s attitude was rushed and felt like a student film trying to be more intelligent than it is.

With all this said, though. I’ve never written a televisions series. I’ve never had to feel the pressures of writing hour long episodes for a weekly show that airs over a couple months. I just can’t help but feel like, with all the source material at their disposal, they could implement better dialogue and overarching story (even with the darker tone and mood).

3 Likes

The new episode Bruce Wayne returned season 2 back to my complaints with season 1. Worst episode for this new season.

The thing that killed it for me was how out of character Bruce Wayne was. Is that really how Dick sees him? Just bizarre. I’m loving the show overall, but that was just weird to me.

1 Like

I agree. If they really wanted to have a “ghost” Bruce haunt Dick the could still do that and have him act like the Bruce Wayne we all know and love.

I love Titans . I have a blast watching it every time.

Well, except for Hawk and Dove, most the other characters have “retired” the costumes. Donna moved into, but was drawn back when Dick approached here about Rachel. Kory, Raven, nor Gar have had costumes yet. And Dick doesn’t have a suit currently.

Dick saw Bruce as mocking his decisions. I almost have a feeling that the Batman in this universe is the “I’m the f*cking Batman!” version from the scrapped All-Star Batman and Robin series. But he is now older and more mellow.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. One of my best shows to watch each week. Watchman might take the spot if it keeps up, but this show is awesome.

It certainly seems to me that Dick in season 1 really blamed a lot of stuff on Bruce that was really his own fault, as well, and their discussion at the start of season 2 I think makes that more clear.

The Trigon induced hallucination was one extreme picture of Dick’s perception of Bruce, and this hallucination was another extreme.

Dick is having a waking auditory and visual hallucination - that’s really serious stuff - a sign of massive problems - and I don’t find it surprising that vacillates in tone so as to annoy Dick as much as possible. Maybe real Bruce would never act like this, but that hardly matters to someone who is having such a hallucination. As a result, I’m not sure why its worth anyone getting upset about how “Bruce” acts in the hallucination.

Having said that, yes I suspect you may be correct that this Titans-verse version of Bruce/Batman is like All-Star Batman and Robin, but having mellowed a bit.