How the Dark Knight Really Started

So, in The World’s Greatest Super Friends episode “Space Knights of Camelon” Batman uses a hologram projector to distract the guards. The Hologram introduces himself as “Sir Batman!” Is this how Batman Became the Dark Knight?

5 Likes

Not to suck the fun out of the discussion, but I know that Batman was called “the Dark Knight” at least as far back as the Joker’s debut story in the first issue of Batman in 1940. I’ll have to flip through the Detective Comics stories to see if there are any cases predating that one.

3 Likes

I posted that question on a couple of different places. One person responded that Batman #1 was indeed the source of the nickname. I personally hadn’t been aware of it until after Dark Knight Returns. Although, to be fair, I really wasn’t reading Batman much until after A Death in the Family.

3 Likes

Of course, if Frank Miller really wanted to borrow a common early moniker for Batman, he could have called his miniseries A Weird Figure Returns.

2 Likes

I loved that episode, I also thought Dark Knight! haha honestly, why couldn’t BvS be like this

2 Likes

Batman: I’m am sir Dark Knight.

1 Like

I seemed to remember a CBR article on when the phrase “the Dark Knight” was first used. According to the article it was indeed the very first Joker story in Batman no. 1. The earliest modern use I can remember was in Steve Englehart’s run on Detective Comics (no. 469-476).

2 Likes