How Much of the DC Universe Do You Like?

I originally got into DC because of one specific thing: I liked Batman: The Animated Series. I enjoy his rogues’ gallery of colorful villains. At the time, I also liked watching some episodes of Superman’s animated series, and the Justice League show.

After B:TAS ended, and without knowing anything about continuity or different comic runs, I used to sift through longboxes at my local comic shop until I found Joker comics. I never stopped liking DC, I just sort of fade in and out sometimes. Sometimes the writing or something is off so I may not agree with that particular story or show.

I do enjoy a few other characters and will watch/read about them as well, like Doom Patrol and Supergirl.

I don’t have a huge personal liking for everything DC puts out as a whole. I try to support them where I can, and I totally hear the complaints about how the characters I enjoy are over-used. I have so many things going on that I usually can’t devote much of the time I have to enjoying things that I like. I still consider myself a fan, even if I don’t live and breathe DC. I’m happy in my small corner. Even if you liked one character and nothing else you would still be a fan. :00_dc_pride_poci:

10 Likes

Thanks, all, for your thoughtful responses to my question. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I posted this thread, but this was a nice discussion.

Well, then, darn it, I’m a DC fan! Even if I don’t happen to like [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED], [REDACTED], or [REDACTED]. And especially not [REDACTED] (yuck). But the rest of it? A-OK! :+1: :wink:

8 Likes

You don’t like [REDACTED] :hushed:?!!!

Your membership in this club has been revo…

Nah I’m just messin’ with ya… as long as none of those redacteds are Superman, ok?

Joking still. Happy to share this common interest with you!

4 Likes

@mercurie80 and @AlexanderKnox say it better than I can.

6 Likes

My DC fandom is kind of scattered over time. Loved the Superfriends cartoon and Wonder Woman tv shows as a kid. I read Dark Knight Returns and a lot of Batman stuff (particularly Elseworlds) in the late 80’s and early 90’s. Spent Mom and Dad’s money to phone in for Jason Todd to live, which makes me a Jason Todd fan from way back. I read (and loved) Mike Grell’s Green Arrow at around the same time, and then I took a few decades off.

I saw the Suicide Squad movie in maybe 2019 and signed up for DCU. I read every Suicide Squad comic and some He-Man comics. I also watched Doom Patrol and loved it. I then let my membership lapse.

Soon thereafter, I saw the Wonder Woman movie and it was a game-changer for me. I loved it so much. I think it rekindled my love of the tv show. I signed up for DCU again and read over 1,000 WW comics. Having done that, I read all of the Doom Patrol comics as well.

I read some of the big crossovers that have titles like “Infinite”, “Dark”, or “Crisis” while reading through Wonder Woman, and I read all of the first Birds of Prey series, but I have read almost nothing else (does Fables count? I read all of them as well). I feel like I am all-in for what is listed above, but don’t really have a huge interest in anything else. I like some of the other characters, but I am not passionate about them.

I loved DC Super Hero Girls, so I am am very fond of those characters when I see them in a comic.

I am a DC fan, but most of the characters don’t really hit with me. I am primarily an X-men fan as I have been continuously reading them since the 80’s. But my favorite overall character is Wonder Woman. It is strange to say that since I have only been reading her stuff the past couple of years, but she just clicked with me, probably due to my love of mythology and the tv show.

The problem is that there is so much good stuff out there. I only have so much time. Then again, it is kind of a nice problem to have, and I never know what the next obsession might be.

8 Likes

Thank you for trying to save my son the good soldier.

4 Likes

You’re welcome. It was the right thing to do.

5 Likes

“Mom, Dad, can I have an auto-dialer?”

(Hey, that’s how the other side won.)

6 Likes

I love hearing this. Once or twice I’ve had people tell me “yeah, I voted to kill him off” or “I tried to back then but my parents wouldn’t let me”, and I just stand there, completely speechless because I don’t know what to say to that… or even if I should for their sake :sweat_smile:

Like, why would you tell an obvious big fan that you wanted to kill off that person’s favorite character? What is the thought process behind that?

7 Likes

I have many mirderous villains like Eraser, Orca, and Egg Head.

3 Likes

:raised_hands: Agree :100: Some people are rude AF about that.

5 Likes

I’d say half, or more. That’s high for me. For instance, in Marvel, I only enjoy Mutants. I fully dislike most Avengers characters.

5 Likes

Some people are kinda awful. Thankfully, we Jason Todd fans stick together. :grinning:

Pathetic. Make the call and then beg forgiveness later. If nothing else, it makes a great story at family gatherings. :laughing:

5 Likes

I blame certain people’s inability to move past what the character was almost 40 years ago at this point.

6 Likes

My DC fandom is very fickle. I’m reading more now in comparison to 5 years ago. But I’m getting increasingly frustrated with characters I care about not getting bigger opportunities, I’m afraid that like in the nineties i’ll bail on DC and just stick with indies.

5 Likes