How do you display your action figures?

When displaying action figures, do you take them out of the box or do you leave them in the box? I want to start a collection, but I don’t know the best way to display them. I just want to get everyone’s input. Thank you! :smiley:

5 Likes

I keep the ones I want to display in their package, and I open the others and put them into shoebox-sized plastic storage boxes so they take up less room. I don’t display any on shelves or in the open.

1 Like

For me it all depends on the item. If figure is clearly visible in the box or has great resale value, I keep it in the box. If the box obscures the figure or takes up too much space or if it is an item I don’t intend to sell, then I will take it out of the box to display it.

1 Like

It depends, if it’s something I want to save because it may increase in value and sell later I keep it “mint in package”. Most of the figures I have I take them out to display. It’s really a personal preference and the reason why you’re collecting them.

1 Like

Depends. If the art on the packaging is memorable, I may not open it. Much of my collection is displayed in curios and room dividers. The dining room west wall has built in shelves from the floor to the ceiling and kind of resembles a library, but with toys. When my kids were younger, their friends all liked to come over. Most would ask “does your dad have more toys in his room?” I have no plans to grow up…ever.

2 Likes

It varies, but I generally open them.

Very few action figures are worth serious money and the ones that are are decades old. Keeping modern or relatively modern figures packaged for personal reasons (favorite figure of a favorite line, favorite figure of a favorite character, you like how it looks carded/boxed, etc, etc) is one thing. Keeping modern figures packaged to resell with the hopes of a high payday is generally a waste of time and money. There are other investments that will pay off greater and sooner than toys.

@WonderFlash Any particular lines you’re thinking of getting into?

3 Likes

I always take them out of the box, but I save the boxes for my “nicer” ones. I have them up on a shelf that I made to match the house decor, but I plan on eventually building a display to put them in.

1 Like

I, myself, take all of them out of the packages, but I store them in air tight curio cabinets so they are protected. Most of mine have been autographed in some manner or other as well, so the cabinets keep the signatures preserved as well.

2 Likes

I take them out. Just no fun admiring a figure in a box. They get displayed in a glass cabinet. As for the boxes I only keep them if the figure is expensive, and the box is collector friendly…i.e. figure can be repackaged easily…a good example for that would be Mezco figures. I don’t display those boxes since I would run out of room quickly.

1 Like

to me it depends i know some people who buy pops take them out and there are some people like me and will keep it in the box i recently bought a green lantern statue from gamestop and im keeping it in the box and bought loads more and keeping them in the box just because i feel that if they are collectable why not keep them in the box it all depends on how you would like your disply but i would say keep them in the boxes

1 Like

Pretty.Poison.Bombshell, could you elaborate on air tight curio cabinets? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who responded! I know have a better idea on how to start and display my collection :smiley:

2 Likes

I have most of my collections in glass cabinets, however, for the DC Multiverse figures, I have those out because I bought a special ‘bat cave’ set, so I have them on display there,

1 Like

Sure @deku_! Essentially there is a seal around all of the glass except for the door; however, the doors offer no gap when they are closed. For example, I have 2 large, china cabinets that are about 7 feet tall with glass from top to bottom and open via two doors on the front. The doors have an overlap so that there is no gap that dust can enter. Hope that helps, but if you have anymore questions, just let me know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been an opener since I was a kid. I often rotate selections of my collection.

Go to Ikea, check out the Detolf glass cabinet. You’re welcome!

If its tight packaging i leave it. If its easy to take out and put back i take it out and display it.

I have them in the original packaging in a glass case.

https://youtu.be/tmttXMX-C0g

This is how I display mine…

1 Like

https://youtu.be/tmttXMX-C0g

This is how I display mine…

1 Like