How Did You Get Into DC Comics

Do you still have the issue?

3 Likes

Yes I do :slightly_smiling_face:. Sadly it was too many years later when I was able to find issue 435 to find out what happened next :joy:

4 Likes

Is that issue on here? I NOW want to know how Superman had a toothache! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think I have answered this great question elsewhere on the app, but long story short, it was two TV shows that got me into comics:
The Adventures of Superman and Batman 66.

6 Likes

I have loved super hero’s for the longest time, as my family went into Marvel comics so did I but later I read some of the Batman comics, and was enlightened, ever since then I am more a dc kind of guy, and I found more and more things DC, and now I am a DC comics super fan.

6 Likes

When I was little, I remember Justice League being on Boomerang, which I used to watch a lot. I have very vague memories of seeing the characters, but I was way too young to comprehend what was going on in the episodes (my clearest one is the scene where Diana is at a museum event and she fights some bad guys in her black dress, but that’s it). I remember that everytime we passed by a Batman batcave playset in the store, I would always linger around it, carefully studying the details of it, despite not being a Batman fan at the time. In middle school, the Avengers movie had come out and the majority of my science class wanted to watch it- I ended up falling asleep out of boredom. At that point, I didn’t have much thought into the superhero genre, and had no interest in it. Until the day my history teacher said that we were watching Batman '89 and in his class we were not allowed to put our heads down or fall asleep (there would be consequences). At first, I was annoyed that I was being forced to watch a movie (one of my pet peeves, don’t force me to do something :expressionless:) especially when I was expecting it to be the typical “giant threat destroys building in city, hero stops it” narrative, but the second I saw Keaton’s Batman take down two guys in the first scene, I was all “hello Mr. Talk, Dark, and Handsome, what’s your name”, and I fell in love (so to speak).

Needless to say, I discovered more, fell in love with a Robin or two before settling with one (in fictional terms), and this long winding road led me to be where I am today.

5 Likes

“Batman The Animated Series” was my first exposure to the DC. I was about 6 years old when it was first released and I loved it. Shortly after, when I was about 7, “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman” was released and loved it just as much as BTAS. I remember my folks getting me some Superman and Batman comics as a child and I enjoyed reading them over and over again. These comics were mainly from the amazing “Reign of the Supermen” and “Knightfall” eras of the characters. The comic book series that truly HOOKED me on DC though was KINGDOM COME, which was released when I was about 10. It just made me want to know more about the amazing DC Universe and all of its many characters and places!! DC has ran through my veins ever since!

6 Likes

ive been hooked on dc comics since 1977 when i was around 7 i got the mumps and had to stay at my grandma till i got over them so my brother and sister wouldn’t catch them so my grandma would bring me comic to read when she went to the super market or drug store and she alway grabbed the dc comics i like other comic comany but dc will alway be my be my favorite i still have every comic i ever got im 51 years old and some day my collection will go to my grandkids when im 100 hooked for life

5 Likes

Welcome to the DCU @supermanprime69! :smiley:

3 Likes

Okay, I might be cliche, but my grandmothers neighbor was an avid comic fan. He is right now in his late 80’s, and still reads, and has been collecting since he was ten. One day, when I was around 4 or 5, I was waiting outside his porch. I had already been watching all the cartoons and stuff like that, but just because it was what was on then. So, this one day, he comes up to me and hands me a graphic novel and 10 separate comics. The graphic novel was Batman:year one. The separate issues were Batman issues 443, 444, and 445 by Marv Wolfman, and the first seven issues of the New 52 Batman. So yes, I got into comics from the new 52. But I’ve never looked back.

2 Likes

I’ve always been a DC fan because of the 89 Batman film and reeves Superman. But what really got me hooked was the justice league and justice league unlimited cartoon. It was just so well made and so engrossing, that I immediately wanted to know more about the DC Universe. So I just started buying comics about the characters I saw in the show like the question, green arrow, Martian manhunter, captain marvel, etc.

3 Likes

I watched Superfriends and the Wonder Woman tv show as a lad. Read Dark Knight Returns and a ton of Elseworlds stuff in college. Read Mike Grell’s Green Arrow (bought that in a comic shop because I thought he was an Elven archer. That was an impulse buy that I never regretted). DC faded out of my sight for a long time until I saw the Wonder Woman movie, and now she is my favorite! Must…read…all…the…comics!

2 Likes

Who: Me

What: Getting into DC

When: 1989

Where: Target for the Toy Biz Batman action figure, The Family Channel for Adam West Batman reruns and VHS for Tim Burton’s Batman

Why: Because :dc: is absolutely badass

2 Likes

My dad got me into comics. He passed away when I was 11. I am also adopted. I also have a background in science. All of this has created a strong connection with comics for me.

2 Likes

It was a piece of candy laced with Kryptonite.