how did raven defeat Trigon?

I just finished episode one, and I’m not exactly sure I understand how raven defeated her father. Anyone mind explaining that to me? Mind you I’m no comic reader, I only mildly understand what her powers are based of the CW teen titans cartoon

3 Likes

SPOILERS

I think she just sent him back to his own dimension. Her heart was removed so that she wouldn’t feel or be empathetic to her teammates, but Trigon didn’t anticipate it backfiring. Rachel instead used her newfound power for the opposite effect and turned it back on him.

5 Likes

Watch justice league vs teen titans

2 Likes

Remember that Raven exists because Trigon needed someone to bring him into this world. She’s sort of like a beachhead. He then needed to break her so she’d turn over control to him. That’s what all that was about. Beast Boy broke through to her, bringing her back to her right mind, and then she saved Dick, a symbolic victory that gave her the will to take back control and banish her father.

5 Likes

And all it took was 15 mins :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the logic in this show is kinda crap. I can point out like thirty plot holes. MAJOR plot holes not small nitpicks I usually just shrug off. I’m also a little disappointed they introduced the idea of her training for 400 days. Sounded more interesting than the edgy cheesy dreams we got.

That said I think the point is she got her gem, which gave her a massive power boost. She broke because she felt guilty her actions led to Dick being corrupted (I guess she didn’t feel so bad about the others, but I guess she’s closer to Dick than them) So she saved him. Then I guess she had her shit together enough

Still messy, but I kinda get it.

2 Likes

The Power of Love and Beebo!

2 Likes

It is a real mess. It is disappointing and really feels like something was going on behind the scenes.

Why was this the first episode of the second season and not the final episode of the last season?

You reassemble some alternate reality titans just to stand around and do nothing.

Raven calls out to hawk and dove Why? What did they do? They bring Jason Todd to do what? Kory is an afterthought and what did Donna Troy do? Nothing.

Dick Grayson was already there.

Really sloppy and disappointing.

Quite frankly I think they knew they had a mess on their hands at the end of the season and held the episode so the titans first season wouldn’t be a complete critical flop. Which as much as I enjoyed parts of it, looking at the whole of the story arc I have to say “blah”!

3 Likes

Trigon was defeated by the power of poor yet convenient writing. Go plot contrivances!

I agree with the last guy completely. This show is extremely unfocused and there must have been something happening behind the scenes. I hope they got their ducks in a row this time.

Oh and as far as plot holes go, my favorite is when Robin’s costume burns at the place where much of the team had been captured and tortured even though Robin was not seen to have had this costume at any point at this location. It just shows up in the flames after Starfire explodes it.

For that matter, Dick Grayson saying that all the death and carnage has to end before telling Starfire to blow up an entire facility full of people seems like a bit of a plot hole all by itself.

3 Likes

Agreed with the previous two comments 100%

Waited months for that hot mess.

2 Likes

@Batwatch

You don’t think Greyson brought the case suit with with him and left in the car. And it’s not a plot hole it’s hypocrisy and Greyson was full of that in season 1.

2 Likes

She looked at him REALLY hard.

2 Likes

I agree with @Maddox. I guess Deathstroke shouldn’t be a problem. Raven should be able to defeat him just by herself. A hot mess of a conclusion of Trigon storyline.

1 Like

@Desade_Acolyte

It’s been awhile since I watched the episode. I just recall he didn’t have the costume and then there it was in the wreckage. You are suggesting the car was caught in the explosion or the bad guys took the case into the building? I can’t recall the logistics of what happened enough to know if that tracks. Regardless, it’s the sort of thing that should be set up by the TV show not explain ex post facto.

The main thing that I dislike about Titans is the way they stretched out the entire first season with Dick going, “Oooh, I’m so dark and edgy. I don’t know how to be a hero. I’m Edge Lord Robin! No wait! I’m too dark! I must give up the darkness. Oooh, I’m still so dark and edgy. I don’t know how to be a hero. I’m Edge Lord Robin! No wait! I’m too dark! I must give up the darkness. Oooh, I’m so dark…”

it was less of a plot arc and more of a plot loop. Granted, the first episode of season 2 resolved that, but man was that some poor character work in season one.

Raven kinda used the “care bear share” to defeat him.

1 Like

@Batwatch
I think he got it out of the car and made the choice to burn it, not that it was caught up in the explosion.

It was pretty obvious to me that he was going through a cycle of self-loathing. In the asylum scene he is confronted by his 12 year old self. Confronting the fact that he knew but didn’t want to take the blame for. “This isn’t Batman’s fault you can’t control yourself, that’s on you. You embraced the the fact that the uniform gave you permission to be violent, and we see Jason Todd literally say this about being Robin (and one of the things Jason loves the most about being Robin, but that is a discussion for another time.)

I liked watching Raven do the “pivot” about her powers. All of a sudden, the light bulb turns on and she has the sudden realization that the powers don’t control her. A theme we saw played out again during season 1. Why her need to “save to Dick”. It the proving of her hypothesis, ultimately Trigon has no real control. Everybody is responsible for their own destiny and can make the choice to break free of their circumstance.

Why did Gar not succumb to Trigon, he had already faced is darkest inner demon.

While much of the last couple of episodes were big on symbolism and metaphor, when you put all the pieces together, it flows.

I can see why they waited on Trigon’s defeat for the the first half of episode 1 knowing the were getting a season 2. Had they not known, we would have gotten Trigon’s defeat in Season 1, but it still would have left us with the cliffhanger of “OK, they are finally getting their bleep together, now what?” By waiting for the pivot until the season 2 opener, the start with inertia to start truly building the new Titans. Literally moving to a place with more sunshine and no snow. They have survived the winter and are now in spring, a season of growth.

3 Likes

Something else occurred to me. I assume that the original E12 was a longer version of what we saw, up to the point that the two groups drive off in separate directions outside the farmhouse. And, more importantly, that the defeat of Trigon was just as we saw it. If that were the case, we all would have been complaining about the weak ending and the easy defeat of Trigon ALL YEAR, instead of swiftly moving past it.

She went stork raven mad.

1 Like

She put him in an earring hurhur

1 Like

I don’t think she defeated him. I think she just locked him away in his dimension or something. (For Now Anyway)